1. Standard memberArther
    The Turtle Hermit
    Turtle Island
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 12:29
    I think the point Alpha10 is trying to make is that changing to slow play on a losing game is very poor sportsmanship, and it is that poor attitude that needs to be dealt with. We've all experienced that sort of thing at one time or another, and, yes, it is frustrating, even for a subscriber. As has been mentioned, Alpha10, all you can do is try to protect yourself as best you can.
  2. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 12:37
    I agree to that when somebody is losing a game and start to drag it .. a certain player is on my "Not ever gonna play you again list" because of it.

But "legaly" you can't do anything about it. Its not good sportsmanship .. correct .. but not against the rules.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 13:04
    Originally posted by NicolaiS
    I agree to that when somebody is losing a game and start to drag it .. a certain player is on my "Not ever gonna play you again list" because of it.

But "legaly" you can't do anything about it. Its not good sportsmanship .. correct .. but not against the rules.
    When I slow down on a losing games, I'm just working to get my rating up before I resign. That way my opponent gets a better rating boost. Really! 😲 Is just to benefit my opponent. 😉 😉

But honestly, I think it's natural to slow down in the end game when you are loosing and speed up when you are winning. Or at least its a unintentional. You know when you think you're just a few moves away from taking the prize, you check on that game more often. If your position doesn't looks so hot, maybe you look at the game and don't see a good move, so you go to another game where your next move is clearer.

I don't know of anyone that I know drags out games on purpose. But I do know I've lost some won games when my opponent doggedly fought to the last. But that's a reflection of my level of play. 😵
  4. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 13:24
    Originally posted by Coletti
    When I slow down on a losing games, I'm just working to get my rating up before I resign. That way my opponent gets a better rating boost. Really! 😲 Is just to benefit my opponent. 😉 😉

But honestly, I think it's natural to slow down in the end game when you are loosing and speed up when you are winning. Or at least its a unintentional. You know w ...[text shortened]... when my opponent doggedly fought to the last. But that's a reflection of my level of play. 😵
    I know Coletti and you are right .. but what i stated was about those who just have a king and a pawn left and you still have about all your pieces ... and THEN wait till the very last minute before time is over. Not inllegal no .. but obnoxious? YES ... I never expect a player to resign in a lost position, but dragging the game and hoping for a time-out to clinch the match ... hmmm ... thats very very unsportsmanship in my book.
  5. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 16:15
    The turtle hermit hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the point I'm trying to make. It's VERY poor sportsmanship, and it will be continued until someone is disciplined....There is a little button that says RESIGN that would end the game then and there and save a whole lot of time
  6. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 16:22
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    The turtle hermit hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the point I'm trying to make. It's VERY poor sportsmanship, and it will be continued until someone is disciplined....There is a little button that says RESIGN that would end the game then and there and save a whole lot of time
    I do agree that in certain occassions it is bad sportmanship. But perhaps you could think of a solution ... and then you can present it to the admins ... from previous experience Russ is very keen on new improvements to the site ...
  7. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 16:35
    Maybe I could get some help shaping this idea for the admins from you guys if you don't mind....I don't know about ya'll, but when they do that it I feel like napalming the city...haha
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 20:41
    Maybe I could get some help shaping this idea for the admins from you guys if you don't mind....I don't know about ya'll, but when they do that it I feel like napalming the city...haha
    I think we all agree that the behavior you have described is an example of poor sportsmanship, but we also agree that no rules have been violated.

So, as I read your posts, you want to somehow be allowed to punish someone who hasn't broken any rules. What form of punishment do you think would be appropriate? (Napalm may be a little harsh in this case, so probably better save that for something more serious)

In all honesty, I think you will just have to learn to live with the fact that some people are poor losers. In a perfect world everyone would be honorable and we wouldn't have this sort of behavior.

Someone suggested keeping a little list of people you don't want to play anymore, and that's probably your best solution. After you have played here for a while, I think you will find that most members play just fine and do not behave poorly when losing.

regards, Marc

9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 21:02
    Well said, Mr. Miller!

One thing EVERYONE should keep in mind......

Dragging a lost game does not help your rating... use math, and you will find that you are better off to resign your games and play for your next win, rather than drag a game out.

I'm not sure where Greg's ratings calculator is, but if you make 10 pretend games 5 lost 5 won you will find your rating is higher if you take all the lost games first!

If I am beat, I give the 'good game' and move on.

I've got 30 or so games going, so I don't even notice if someone is holding back once I have them beat... one of the best reasons to get a star! I was here a week or so before I got my star.

P-
  10. Yorkshire
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 21:08
    rule about move timeouts? I hate it when people start losing a game and stop moving until there time runs out. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's everybody else too, but I think we should be able to report these people to the site authorities and have them banned or force a forfeit. For us non-subscribers not in a position to be subscribing yet, 6 games is not enough when you have 5 of them that never move.
    Agreed it is poor sportsmanship to delay the inevitable loss of a game, personally I would rather resign and get another game going, probably a rematch!!
    However, as previously stated there is now the option of 1 day timeouts with no timebank which guarantees at least six moves a day or a victory.
    The problem is that if Russ/admin make being a non-subscriber too attractive, no-one would bother signing up or those that did would have to pay more.
    20 dollars seems a small price to pay for membership
  11. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 22:12
    Originally posted by Knight Time
    Agreed it is poor sportsmanship to delay the inevitable loss of a game, personally I would rather resign and get another game going, probably a rematch!!
    However, as previously stated there is now the option of 1 day timeouts with no timebank which guarantees at least six moves a day or a victory.
    The problem is that if Russ/admin make being a non-subs ...[text shortened]... or those that did would have to pay more.
    20 dollars seems a small price to pay for membership
    Knight time ... you lost me here ... 1 day time-out no timebank .. and at least 6 moves a day. I stink at math ( and chess 😉 ) .. but would you be so kind to explain .... 🙂
  12. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 22:24
    Knight time ... you lost me here ... 1 day time-out no timebank .. and at least 6 moves a day. I stink at math ( and chess 😉 ) .. but would you be so kind to explain .... 🙂
    Yeah, I thought this was odd too - surely if it's a 1 day time out you only have to move once a day, not 6 times? 😕
  13. Standard memberQweequeg
    Beyond Category
    Chattanooga, TN
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 22:403 edits
    As others have said, the behavior you describe is unsportsman-like. It is also allowed by the rules that you and your opponent have agreed to. What you seek is some sort of amendment to the rules that would penalize the unsporting behavior.

But really, psychology has always been part of the game. In this case, I'd guess, your opponents are exercising the little bit of petty power they have to drive you nuts. Maybe it's a control thing for them, or maybe they think you'll lose your cool (feel like napalming the city) and make a blunder. In any case, like it or not, the clock is part of the game, and the game's psychology.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not condoning the behavior, and don't use such tactics myself. But learning to cope with such psychological tactics will probably make you a stronger over-all player. If you agree to a game with a 7-day timeout and a 21-day timebank, don't expect a move but once every seven days. If it plays faster, all the better.

But that's easy for a subscriber to say - I can play dozens of games and not worry about a few that move torturously slow. Non-subscribers are limited to six concurrent games, and if they're all being played at a snail's pace, it can get frustrating. This, I gather, is the real problem for you, and there are at least three solutions: (a) subscribe, and thus increase your chances of having more games that play at a faster pace, (b) solicit the admins to raise the game limit for non-subscribers, or (c) as a non-paying member, ask the admins to design a complex system of refereed play that will require intricate software coding to mete out a subjective standard of justice.

You are pursuing option (c), which is certainly the most far-fetched and laborious for everyone. It's also the most likely to cause enormous problems if and when it's implemented.

My advice, which you are free to take or leave: subscribe, or suck it up.

14. Yorkshire
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 08:58
    Perhaps i didnt explain properly.

As a non subscriber i believe you are entitled to 6 on going games at once.

Therefore if ALL 6 have 1 day timeouts with no timebank, then you are guaranteed 6 moves a day (ie 1 in each game)

Another idea, should you not wish to sign up for a year, there is an option to subscribe for one month at a lower price.
    So would it be possible to sign up fot that month, and set up say 150 games, then unsubscribe at the end of the month leaving these games ongoing?
    Also would this work in tournaments too?
  15. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 09:421 edit
    Originally posted by Knight Time
    Perhaps i didnt explain properly.

As a non subscriber i believe you are entitled to 6 on going games at once.

Therefore if ALL 6 have 1 day timeouts with no timebank, then you are guaranteed 6 moves a day (ie 1 in each game)

An ...[text shortened]... ing these games ongoing?
    Also would this work in tournaments too?
    Now it makes sense .. even to me ... 6 matches with a one day time out.

Your subscription question can be answered with: yes ... after you subscribed you can start up as many matches as you like and tours too. After the "end" of the subscription turn you are not kicked out matches and are allowed to finish those .... to every non subscriber: take my and thousands of other subbies advice ... just subscribe for a year, help the site to some needed cash and yourself to endless fun and games. ... but you are right Knight Time, it can be done like that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree