1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 09:57
    Originally posted by Knight Time
    Perhaps i didnt explain properly.

As a non subscriber i believe you are entitled to 6 on going games at once.

Therefore if ALL 6 have 1 day timeouts with no timebank, then you are guaranteed 6 moves a day (ie 1 in each game)

Another idea, should you not wish to sign up for a year, there is an option to subscribe for one month at a lower price.
    ...[text shortened]... e at the end of the month leaving these games ongoing?
    Also would this work in tournaments too?
    We trust people not to abuse this - and people haven't. Most people cancel a monthly only to go to an annual.

As for the 6 '1 day' timeout games, that is a very good point....

-Russ
  2. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 10:58
    if i play a player that is still locked on 1200p, and i notice that he already played 4 games, is it wrong for me to wait until his real rating comes up and only then resign?
  3. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 11:31
    Originally posted by Faith No More
    if i play a player that is still locked on 1200p, and i notice that he already played 4 games, is it wrong for me to wait until his real rating comes up and only then resign?
    Regardless of whether this is morally wrong or unsportsmanlike, it doesn't make sense to do this for practical purposes, as a player who loses to a provisonal will only lose half the rating points compared to losing to someone with a normal rating. It would make sense to prolong the game against a provisional if you were winning, in the hope of gaining twice the amount of rating points when they become established. Although you have no control of when your opponent chooses to resign.

Dave
  4. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 11:39
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Regardless of whether this is morally wrong or unsportsmanlike, it doesn't make sense to do this for practical purposes, as a player who loses to a provisonal will only lose half the rating points compared to losing to someone with a normal rating. It would make sense to prolong the game against a provisional if you were winning, in the hope of gaining t ...[text shortened]... come established. Although you have no control of when your opponent chooses to resign.

Dave
    but if for example someone is 1200p with 4 games won 0 lost and 0 draws, so next game he playes his rating will change because after 5 games you are not locked on 1200p anymore. so if for example he won 5 games his rating will probably be 1600p and then if i resign i lose less rating points...
  5. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 13:38
    Originally posted by Faith No More
    but if for example someone is 1200p with 4 games won 0 lost and 0 draws, so next game he playes his rating will change because after 5 games you are not locked on 1200p anymore. so if for example he won 5 games his rating will probably be 1600p and then if i resign i lose less rating points...
    Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, if you believe your opponent's rating is certain to go up by a big amount, then under such circumstances it would make sense to wait a while before resigning. Of course, in other situations, a provisonal's rating is just as likely to go down. You would have to look at all his games in progress and try to work out the likeliest results. Also you can never be sure that your opponent won't throw a fit, resign all his games and trash his rating, as has happened many times on this site.

Dave
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 14:37
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, if you believe your opponent's rating is certain to go up by a big amount, then under such circumstances it would make sense to wait a while before resigning. Of course, in other situations, a provisonal's rating is just as likely to go down. You would have to look at all his games in progress and try to work out the likeli ...[text shortened]... it, resign all his games and trash his rating, as has happened many times on this site.

Dave
    The player might be stuck as a provisional forever if all 6 players waited for his rating!?

P-
  7. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 18:09
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The player might be stuck as a provisional forever if all 6 players waited for his rating!?

P-
    just because someone has a provisional rating doesnt mean he is not a subscriber..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree