1. Joined
    20 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 13:42
    I have a rating that's always between 1200 and 1600, like the majority of people on this forum. When you guys make a set of tournaments categorized by rating, I can never sign up for one because mine fill up so fast.

My idea is that between those ratings (1200-1600), they should be broken up not by every 50, but by every 25.

So instead of:
    1200-1250 Banded Octet
    1250-1300 Banded Octet
    1300-1350 Banded Octet
    etc...

You get:
    1200-1225 Banded Octet
    1225-1250 Banded Octet
    1250-1275 Banded Octet
    etc...

This would accommodate the majority of your customers. I don't think you need to do this with the people who have ratings above 1600 and below 1200, but those in the middle, it would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been able to sign up for a tournament in months, and I check it daily or semi-daily. :<
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 15:21
    Originally posted by iwinez
    I don't think you need to do this with the people who have ratings above 1600 and below 1200.
    I disagree with this part.

The banded competition needs a re-write completely.

I am not a 2000 player. I maintain circa 1750-1950.

Tourneys for me do not exist at my level, as they are 'once above 1800' all open to every member above that level. I cannot enter a tourney when, in consideration, the 'masters' all jump in and I have to face 2200+. I am not able to do that. It just isn't worth entering for a stuffing.

I never see a tourney for 1800-1900, nor 1900-2000.

-m.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 17:07
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I disagree with this part.

The banded competition needs a re-write completely.

I am not a 2000 player. I maintain circa 1750-1950.

Tourneys for me do not exist at my level, as they are 'once above 1800' all open to every member above that level. I cannot enter a tourney when, in consideration, the 'masters' all jump in and I have to face 2200+. I am ...[text shortened]... orth entering for a stuffing.

I never see a tourney for 1800-1900, nor 1900-2000.

-m.
    Tournament 11258
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    28 Feb '11 00:271 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Tournament 11258
    A cursory look tells me there are around 100 subs in the 1825-1900 band..160 and more in the 1225-1250 band alone ! Vastly more site member numbers in the latter bracket but the subs % drop off alarmingly...it's surprising just how many thousands make up the 1200-1300 bands but as I say, a cursory glance however..
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '09
    Moves
    21 Mar '11 18:39
    This is still a huge issue. I look at tournaments daily for the banded ones. They came out, and within an hour, the ones I could have joined filled up. I tried to resign a few games so I could drop my rating low enough to join another one, and that filled up too. Within minutes, the banded tournaments for players from 1200-1400 were gone!

I'm paying money to play on a site that I can't even play on, and I know I'm not alone.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Mar '11 22:18
    This is still a huge issue. I look at tournaments daily for the banded ones. They came out, and within an hour, the ones I could have joined filled up. I tried to resign a few games so I could drop my rating low enough to join another one, and that filled up too. Within minutes, the banded tournaments for players from 1200-1400 were gone!

I'm paying money to play on a site that I can't even play on, and I know I'm not alone.
    Banded tounaments fill up extremely quickly.

If you look at your current TER of 1421 and do a quick search for the amount of players at or around 1400-1425

You are looking at players numbering from position 5814 to 6466 or 842 players currently in that range. This does not take into account people whose rating may now be higher or lower but still within the banding range, nor does it take into account non subs.

However, if you even say that only 25% of that 842 were subscribers, it still leaves over 210 players looking for maybe 24 places in a banded tournament.

Thats a lot of competition for a few places. The best thing to do is ask admin to make the number of places larger, so that you have maybe 32, 48, 60 places to fill.
  7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 00:25
    Yes, I'd say the higher rates here, 1900+, have it mighty easy to find tournies in comparison, literally you can pick and choose at leisure without worrying about losing a place if you don't sign up immediately. A marginal band should be in place, 1200-1225 gives far more of a chance but there are still 160 potential players in that pot. The more folk keep banging on about this the better...it's so so true, you pay no less than those that can pick and choose !!
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 01:22
    A competitor site which I won't name allows all paying customers to create tournaments with a large number of variables, including rating ranges, group and total size. As a result there are always tournaments available to suit, and if you can't find exactly what you want you can create your own. It seems to work very well, when I'm seeking tournaments I can just drop in there and find one to suit.

Larger group sizes and total sizes for the rating bands where most players are, smaller ones at both ends of the rating range, would solve the problem here.

I know that private tournaments can be created here by certain (not all) clan and club leaders, but that's not an adequate substitute - they're restricted to players "in the know".

Since I want to play on RHP, and keep paying my subscription to RHP, I'd like to add myself to this petition for a more flexible public tournament system.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '09
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 02:09
    Yeah I found that website. I hate paying for something that I can't even use. As soon as my subscription runs out here, I'm going there.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 03:18
    Yeah I found that website. I hate paying for something that I can't even use. As soon as my subscription runs out here, I'm going there.
    Don't. Persist with your forum posts, send feedback, ask for a vote to be run, anything to keep the topic alive. That other site is a pain to actually play on, compared to here.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 19:32
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Don't. Persist with your forum posts, send feedback, ask for a vote to be run, anything to keep the topic alive. That other site is a pain to actually play on, compared to here.
    You spelled "Good Riddance" wrong.

[i]This post for entertainment purposes only
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 22:36
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Yes, I'd say the higher rates here, 1900+, have it mighty easy to find tournies in comparison, literally you can pick and choose at leisure without worrying about losing a place if you don't sign up immediately. A marginal band should be in place, 1200-1225 gives far more of a chance but there are still 160 potential players in that pot. The more folk ke ...[text shortened]... out this the better...it's so so true, you pay no less than those that can pick and choose !!
    The other alternative is to move to the UK. Tournaments are generally started when the UK is awake, while people on the other side of the world are sleeping!

Nice to see that several banded tournaments have been started, lets hope those that want to enter, can and do.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Apr '11 09:40
    Because the members' ratings form a pyramid (lots in the lower bands, few in the upper bands) there are constant complaints: lower-rated can't get in to the few tourneys available, higher-rated can't find enough opponents to fill a band.

I think the whole banded tourneys thing needs to be improved, so that the two groups can have tourneys generated to accommodate all comers.
  14. Standard memberpatrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    Minneapolis
    Moves
    22 Apr '11 12:46
    In other forums people complain about clubs being pointless, etc. And in a few forums people complain a lack of banded tournaments.

It sure seems like the long ago promised addition of banded tournaments to club owners abilities would fulfill a need on the site (more banded tournies) and offer a new and obviously desired reason to participate in clubs.
  15. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 13:231 edit
    Originally posted by patrickrutgers
    In other forums people complain about clubs being pointless, etc. And in a few forums people complain a lack of banded tournaments.

It sure seems like the long ago promised addition of banded tournaments to club owners abilities would fulfill a need on the site (more banded tournies) and offer a new and obviously desired reason to participate in clubs.
    Most definitely, as mentioned the clubs have advantage in many ways as, perhaps they are the future here, the clan 'system' just doesn't cut the mustard for many..a sweeping statement if ever I heard one....but true methinks...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree