1. Pities the fool
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 08:11
    Instead of having games such as these

Game 8554027

Game 8554046

why not have a donate "elo points button" where you donate points without trying to look as if you trying to play a game of chess but resigned when up materially or when level.
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 15:21
    Originally posted by kopatov
    Instead of having games such as these

Game 8554027

Game 8554046

why not have a donate "elo points button" where you donate points without trying to look as if you trying to play a game of chess but resigned when up materially or when level.
    People have their reasons, sometimes they're not happy with their own game plan or indeed their opponents 'tactics'...also, they may wish to offload games simply because they've amassed too many..as I've mentioned many times, there are many here that are just not concerned with racking up points. Also, there is a difference between elo and RHP rates...
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 17:38
    i don't belong in this middle of this one. the "donate points" is a mildly amusing joke. there's an appearance of a darker side to this, though
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 17:44
    ...why not have a donate "elo points button" where you donate points without trying to look as if you trying to play a game of chess but resigned when up materially or when level.
    Nah...the "Resign" button works just fine for this.

If you look around, you'll find people do this all the time on this site, not even counting the games that are just abandoned and left to time out. Even more common is the "winning" draw, offering an opponent a draw in a clearly won position.

If there was money involved, I'd be annoyed about this. The facts are, though, any ratings points donated this way tend to get given back to someone else eventually. In the end, it all works out.
  5. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 18:35
    Originally posted by coquette
    i don't belong in this middle of this one. the "donate points" is a mildly amusing joke. there's an appearance of a darker side to this, though
    I'm convinced the 'tactics' of one player brought the game to an early conclusion..the appearance of a 'darker side' being an apt description..
  6. Pities the fool
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 17:46
    Originally posted by coquette
    A "darker side"? By using the donate points button it legalizes any illegality, just like having a corrupt public official walking around with a billboard saying he can take backhanders.
  7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 00:05
    A "darker side"? By using the donate points button it legalizes any illegality, just like having a corrupt public official walking around with a billboard saying he can take backhanders.
    I ran across this in the chess forum: Thread 141246
    If you pay attention to page one, the game is there for you to see along with some interesting comments...the term 'darker side' will perhaps make more sense now...
  8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 04:21
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I ran across this in the chess forum: Thread 141246
    If you pay attention to page one, the game is there for you to see along with some interesting comments...the term 'darker side' will perhaps make more sense now...
    You seem to have an issue not with 'donating points' but with someone in particular, why don't you just save us all the trouble and go direct to them..you can conduct this in private and you might even get a response. There are folk that wish to create some fuss before they are identified as 'returnees' ..I take it you're not one of them...
  9. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 08:55
    Recently I expressed self-anger after handing over a good position. My opponent said "if the result matters to you, I will accept a draw".

I was a bit surprised (and I resigned), but actually there are plenty like him. It's just an internetsite... .
    And there are many reasons for not caring about what game results are established and how they are processed.
  10. Pities the fool
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 17:19
    It is interesting receiving comments from various players ect and various viewpoints.

1. Is the resignation because they have many games or want to leave for something urgent?
    2. Is the resignation because they want to help out the other player gain rating points?
    3. Is the resignation because the player doesn't have a clue that they are winning/level?
  11. .
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 05:073 edits
    4. Because they felt like it?
    5. Because they couldn't be bothered completing the game?
    6. Because they thought they were playing an engine?
    7. Because they wanted to free a spot to play a friend?
    8. Because they don't care about rating points?
    9. Because of illness or enforced absence?
    10. To hurry along a tournament?
    11. Because it is just a *GAME* and shouldn't be taken so seriously?

There could be any number of motivations or reasons. What is the issue with resigning games? Why does this upset you so much?

I have offered and accepted draws in what are probably won positions. Why I do that is nobody's business other than my opponent - which I explain via message during the game.

If you have an issue with someone, don't start a thread, correspond with that person directly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree