1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 01:28
    This is something that has annoyed me about this site since i joined. When you have less than 24 hours left in your timebank, the site waits until your move time has run out, then brings up a red clock with your remaining time. I feel this isn't really very useful, if you have say, 10 minutes of timebank left, then the red clock doesn't appear until you are 10 minutes away from being timed out. If you have a load of games going, it's still very easy to miss this and get timed out (lord knows it's happened to me COUNTless times!)

Can we please change this so that the red clock appears when you are 24 hours away from timeout (move time and timebank combined). The number of times i've been short of time to spend online and just updated my clocks only to wake up the next day and see i've been timed out. It'd be great if we could sort this out, i think this is probably the way the system was meant to work originally but got missed somehow...

Cheers 🙂
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 13:03
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    This is something that has annoyed me about this site since i joined. When you have less than 24 hours left in your timebank, the site waits until your move time has run out, then brings up a red clock with your remaining time. I feel this isn't really very useful, if you have say, 10 minutes of timebank left, then the red clock doesn't appear until you ...[text shortened]... ly the way the system was meant to work originally but got missed somehow...

Cheers 🙂
    Isn't that what the "Urgent Games" icon is for?

If you make moves in these games first then you should be OK.

The red clock is just to remind you that you have stupidly let all you time expire and are likely to suffer a timeout if you don't move quickly.

Setting your games up with time remaining means you can also target your urgent games first.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 12:01
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Isn't that what the "Urgent Games" icon is for?

If you make moves in these games first then you should be OK.

The red clock is just to remind you that you have stupidly let all you time expire and are likely to suffer a timeout if you don't move quickly.

Setting your games up with time remaining means you can also target your urgent games first.
    Well, that can work but what if you are playing more than 10 1day 0 timebank games? Or if you are short on time in 100 games? Being able to easily at a glance which games require a move in the next 24 hours strikes me as being the most useful way of doing it..
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 12:49
    Well, that can work but what if you are playing more than 10 1day 0 timebank games? Or if you are short on time in 100 games? Being able to easily at a glance which games require a move in the next 24 hours strikes me as being the most useful way of doing it..
    If you go to My Games and then click on Time, you get the games in the most urgent to move in order.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 13:03
    If you go to My Games and then click on Time, you get the games in the most urgent to move in order.
    I realise that, but you still have to look at how much time is left in the games. If all the games which are 24 hours away from timeout had a red clock, you could spend the time actually updating them rather than working out which ones need it.

Going back to my original example, a game with 10 minutes of timebank will only have a red clock rendered on the page for 10 minutes before your time runs out. If you're online then great, but if you log off 11 minutes before your time runs out then you lose the game.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 18:01
    Well, that can work but what if you are playing more than 10 1day 0 timebank games? Or if you are short on time in 100 games?
    Then you have only yourself to blame.

Getting into time trouble in a game or two is one thing. Asking for time trouble is quite another, and I'm not sure the site should cater for it.

Richard
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 18:45
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Then you have only yourself to blame.

Getting into time trouble in a game or two is one thing. Asking for time trouble is quite another, and I'm not sure the site should cater for it.

Richard
    Some times you don't have a choice, life can get in the way of chess without you necessarily being careless with your time..
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 10:27
    Going back to my original example, a game with 10 minutes of timebank will only have a red clock rendered on the page for 10 minutes before your time runs out. If you're online then great, but if you log off 11 minutes before your time runs out then you lose the game.
    Doesn't help if you log on 11 minutes after the red clock starts though 😛
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 02:36
    Doesn't help if you log on 11 minutes after the red clock starts though 😛
    That is true, perhaps we should have an 11 minute rule. 😛
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 12:35
    Some times you don't have a choice, life can get in the way of chess without you necessarily being careless with your time..
    Life doesn't force you to take on 100 1/0 games at once.

Richard
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 14:17
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Life doesn't force you to take on 100 1/0 games at once.

Richard
    No it doesn't, but you can aquire commitments away from the net that can reduce your available free time. I suffer from a very bad internet connection, sometimes i can be reduced to making as little as two moves in an hour. I occasionally have to stay up very late into the night to try and simply submit a move. Tbh, i fail to understand how anyone could seriously disagree with this suggestion, the red clock is a warning that highlights that you are short of time. If it only appears a few minutes before you're about to be timed out, then it doesn't serve any real purpose. Either it should appear 24 hours before timeout (as i suggest) or it shouldn't appear at all.
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 16:101 edit
    No it doesn't, but you can aquire commitments away from the net that can reduce your available free time. I suffer from a very bad internet connection, sometimes i can be reduced to making as little as two moves in an hour. I occasionally have to stay up very late into the night to try and simply submit a move. Tbh, i fail to understand how anyone could ither it should appear 24 hours before timeout (as i suggest) or it shouldn't appear at all.
    FAQ

The first red clock appears when you go under 24 hours to move.

The more serious red clock, telling you to get your arse in gear and move or else, appears when you run out of time.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 01:09

The first red clock appears when you go under 24 hours to move.

You don't get any type of clock appear until your time has run out, try it out for yourself...
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 16:37
    You don't get any type of clock appear until your time has run out, try it out for yourself...
    As far as I can remember whenever I was playing 1/0 games, the spinning red clock appeared every time it was my move.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 04:43
    As far as I can remember whenever I was playing 1/0 games, the spinning red clock appeared every time it was my move.
    Yes, when you play a game with no timebank then the clock appears straight away. If you have 1 minute of timebank left, it doesn't appear until you time has expired. This is what i'm trying to say...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree