2013 Prose Results

Standard memberRemoved
General 10 Mar '13 20:14
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 20:14
    Hello all

Here we are the results are here - after 10 great pieces of writing and 18 sets of votes (slightly down on last year) here are the results (only top 3 authors will be revealed the others please feel free to come forward)

10th - Bushfire 3points
    9th - Peters Pans 6 Points
    8th - Victims 7 points
    7th - A Letter which never sent 8 points
    6th - Hunters & Prey (my entry) 9 points
    5th - The Hunted 11 points
    4th - The Hunters 18 points

and now the top 3

3rd Sunset in Fall by Hand of Hecate 23 Points

2nd In the Sun Room mike169 32 points

and

1st Song of Herself mike 169 45 points

BIG WELL DONE to mike169 for coming first and second and taking a second win in the RHP prose competition

Well done to all and if people would like this to run again in the next year or the summer please let me know 🙂

Silverstriker
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 20:22
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    Hello all

Here we are the results are here - after 10 great pieces of writing and 18 sets of votes (slightly down on last year) here are the results (only top 3 authors will be revealed the others please feel free to come forward)

10th - Bushfire 3points
    9th - Peters Pans 6 Poin ...[text shortened]... uld like this to run again in the next year or the summer please let me know 🙂

Silverstriker
    Very well done to all.

Victims was my entry so I'll
    have to do better next time.

Thanks to Silverstriker for running a great competition
    and very well done to all especially to mike169.

Very well done sir. 🙂
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 20:301 edit
    Hello all

10th - Bushfire 3points
    9th - Peters Pans 6 Poin ...[text shortened]... uld like this to run again in the next year or the summer please let me know 🙂

Silverstriker
    "A Class of 2013 Well Done" to All Who Entered and Congratulation to "Our Three Winners". It's enjoyable to read works
    by people you've come to know (I'm particularly pleased to have lucked out in having voted for two of the Top Three).
    -
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 20:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 20:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes, I think all the writers have the respect of most here for putting forth the effort, and I thought they should be recognized for that effort as well.

But I do not know any specifics, like whether some writers requested anonymity or what, so I can respect Silverstriker's decision not to reveal the names. I hope everyone comes forward for recognition, though.

Thanks to all the participants and especially Silverstriker for running a good contest.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 20:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm hoping everyone comes in to reveal their writings 🙂 (I think there were 4 or 5 new writers this time round)
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:011 edit
    I'm hoping everyone comes in to reveal their writings 🙂 (I think there were 4 or 5 new writers this time round)
    Cheers and well done to Silverstriker for organising the prose comp again.

Congrats to:- Hand of Hectate, Mike169, and of course Mike169.

I enjoyed all the entries, and I am pleased that I concurred with the majority in picking The No 1 entry.

Twas I what wrote. 'The Hunters' thanks to everyone who read it, big 🙂 to anyone who gave it some points.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:07
    Great work, Mike169, but one tiny quibble: Leaves of Grass is a collection of Whitman's poems, not just one.

Your story brought back a flood of New York memories.
  9. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:08
    Thank you to all who participated and thank you for voting for my entries. I thought everyone was great and I hope everyone continues to participate in this fun event. Thanks again to Silverstreaker, who, as usual, did a wonderful job!
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:13
    DISCLAIMER: I do not wish to derail this results thread. I merely wanted to re-post Mike169's winning entry from last year as a tribute to this year's winning writer.

2012 Prose Competition winner - The Tick

Chiappini’s is an old gas station. It looks like all gas stations did in the 1930’s, 40’s and 50’s before they lost their mechanics and became self pumping mini marts. Their two pumps sit under a roof attached to their store which also serves the small community of Melrose, Florida as a drinking establishment.
    He didn’t have much truck with the Chiapinni’s having had a falling out a number of years back but he still set up next to their establishment and sold Mayport shrimp to any commuter passing the intersection where Chiappini’s sat where State Rd. 21 crossed State Rd. 24. Everyday he picked his shrimp from the shrimpers up at Mayport, north of Jacksonville, and carried it back in two big ice chests to his spot at the roadside. He’d put up his table and umbrella and sit through the heat of the day as customers lazily pulled their cars to the side of the road got out and examined the shrimp and bought or did not buy depending on whatever fancy they took. This was his routine. It didn’t pay much but no job in North Central Florida paid much these days.
    Tick wandered down Rte 21 with his dog Leb. His head was down and the man could discern the nature of the problem. Tick, short for Bostick, was an 11 year old towheaded boy whose home was half a mile from the crossroads where the man sold his shrimp.
    “Have a seat Tick. What’s on your mind?”
    “Nothin’”, said Tick scratching Leb’s head and ears.
    The man knew however.
    The day was a North Florida summer day with high fluffy clouds surrounded by heat you could almost eat. Tick had been pretty much quiet in the 45 minutes he had been sitting alongside the man as he sold his shrimp. Whenever he came to the man it was to get out of the house. Things weren’t good there.

After a couple of hours the man asked Tick if he’d watch for customers as he wanted to get a beer. He bought Tick a Pepsi and headed across the street to the Blue Water. It was hot and the Blue Water’s fans, just about moving, pushed the heavy air this way and that but never enough to generate so much as a breeze. Kimmie was tending bar as it was Kerry’s day off and the man’s entrance distracted Kimmie who had been looking out the window enjoying the heat and traffic from the confines of the dark bar.
    “I see ya got Tick again.”
    “Yup” answered the man as Kimmie served him a cold Budweiser from an ice chest.
    A voice down the end of the bard sai he had seen Vel at the Keystone Saloon last night.
    “Drunk as a balled owl and half as smart.”
    Vel was Tick’s father.
    “I thought as much”, said the man though whether it was Keystone, Hawthorne, Waldo or Starke made no difference. Vel knew them all.
    The man had known many men like Vel. The area was full of them. Nice young men once. Then lost. Never to come back. It happened that way for some reason. Angry at everything and everyone who stood between them and whatever it was they wanted.
    Roy Orbison’s “Blue Bayou” oozed from the old juke and curled around the inside of the bar.
    The man finished his beer and headed back to the table and Tick and Leb, who now laid immobilized by the heat beneath the table. The man laid down a bowl of water Kimmie had sent over so that Leb might not die of the heat. Leb looked up and laid his head back down not up to the effort.
    Round four o’clock the traffic slowed and the man began to pack up his gear. The unsold shrimp would be sold the next day at half price. As he and Tick loaded everything into the back of the man’s pickup a beat up mid 70’s Pontiac pulled up next to the man’s truck.
    “Get in Tick!”
    It was Vel the man knew him.
    “You okay Tick?” asked the man.
    His head down he said “Yes I’m okay. Thanks for the Pepsi.”
    The boy and Leb moved to the car and Vel said “Leave that dog!” The boy turned to the man whose look told him it was okay. The boy got into the front seat and Vel sped away. Leaving the man and Leb to finish the day.

Congrats to two-time winner Mike 169!
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:181 edit
    Originally posted by mike169
    Thank you to all who participated and thank you for voting for my entries. I thought everyone was great and I hope everyone continues to participate in this fun event. Thanks again to Silverstreaker, who, as usual, did a wonderful job!
    Congrats to all who participated and most especially the three winners.
    Thanks to Silverstriker for his continued efforts.
    My entry was Peter's Pans. Thanks to those who voted for me and we'll see ya next year.
    I hope that more people (RHPrs) will give it a try. It's fun.
  12. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:29
    Thank you - that was nice.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:38
    Thank you - that was nice.
    You know this puts a big giant bullseye on your back, right?

You might get some young punks come a-gunnin' for ya next year 🙂 .

The more writers the merrier, though.

Good job, Mike.
  14. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 21:47
    To Jalapeno Kitten: No - the more the people who enter the better the competition and variety. I'd like to see everyone on the site participating because I love to see what people's creativity can bring forth. Writing a story and being constricted to a 750 word (or so) limit is a really good challenge to a writer. Let's see what next year brings!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 22:451 edit
    To Jalapeno Kitten: No - the more the people who enter the better the competition and variety. I'd like to see everyone on the site participating because I love to see what people's creativity can bring forth. Writing a story and being constricted to a 750 word (or so) limit is a really good challenge to a writer. Let's see what next year brings!
    I like your attitude, it's easy to see why you've won, you have a good love for the process. I was going to enter this year, but my copy got deleted through a stupid mistake I made and I knew I couldn't recreate it in the few days I had left at that point.

I agree, the more writers entering, the better. But you better bring your "A" game next year! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree