1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 02:241 edit
    Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 "Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvenated my flagging mind and I salute you for this. I have not posted anything for quite some time but I still enjoy your comments and the banter on this forum. I will say, however, that if any forum is dying it is the clan forum. I just posted a comment there and then realised when I surveyed the recent postings that this was pointless because the level of activity there is now virtually Marie-Celeste like. I hope that this forum does not go the same way - having eyed it for these seven years I would now diagnose incipient NIDS (new-idea-deficiency-syndrome) despite your excellent prophylactic efforts to treat this."

There also seems to have been an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'. Why? Your thoughts.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 02:39
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 "Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvenated my flagging ...[text shortened]... been an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'. Why? Your thoughts.[/b]
    We hate vigor.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 03:14
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    We hate vigor.
    We hate vigor.

"Vigor. noun.

1. Physical or mental strength, energy, or force.
    2. The capacity for natural growth and survival, as of plants or animals.
    3. Strong feeling; enthusiasm or intensity.
    4. Legal effectiveness or validity.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin, from vig;re, to be lively; see weg- in Indo-European roots.]

Synonyms: vigor, dash, punch, verve, vim, vitality. These nouns denote a quality of spirited force or energy: intellectual vigor; played the piano with dash; an editorial with real punch; painted with verve..." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Andy, why do "We hate vigor"?
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 04:021 edit
    [b]We hate vigor.

"Vigor. noun.

1. Physical or mental strength, energy, or force.
    2. The capacity for natural growth and survival, as of plants or animals.
    3. Strong feeling; enthusiasm or intensity.
    4. Legal effectiveness or validity.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin, ...[text shortened]... an Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Andy, why do "We hate vigor"?[/b]
    It's too much work.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 05:30
    Men and women don't like vigorous work. 😕
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 09:39
    [b]Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 "Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvenated my flagging ...[text shortened]... been an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'. Why? Your thoughts.[/b]
    Perhaps after it's long agonising death 'Vigour Mortis' has set in.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 12:08
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Perhaps after it's long agonising death 'Vigour Mortis' has set in.
    It might have needed something more binding like mortise and tenon.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 20:30
    "I hope that this forum does not go the same way - having eyed it for these seven years I would now diagnose incipient NIDS (new-idea-deficiency-syndrome)..."

"... an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'"

"We hate vigor."

"It's too much work."

"Men and women don't like vigorous work."

"Perhaps after it's long agonising death 'Vigour Mortis' has set in."

"It might have needed something more binding like mortise and tenon."

Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 23:13
    Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?
    An obscene gesture.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 23:23
    An obscene gesture.
    Please clarify your specific reference, Andy. Thanks.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '14 23:52
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Men and women don't like vigorous work. 😕
    Those men and women need to think outside the box.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 04:35
    Please clarify your specific reference, Andy. Thanks.
    First tell me: What is an after the fact autopsy? Would you ever have one before the fact?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 05:362 edits
    First tell me: What is an after the fact autopsy? Would you ever have one before the fact?
    "Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?"

After the fact: an autopsy when the coroner or contributor consensus has determined that we're dealing with a cold
    cadaver; before the fact with an online forum that's been alive and well for most of its thirteen years but is now uncertain
    as to whether it is, in fact, living yet ill or dying or dead: "an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit".
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 14:00
    "Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?"

[b]First tell me: What is an after the fact autopsy? Would you ever have one before the fact?

After the fact: an autopsy when the coroner or contributor consensus has dete ...[text shortened]... is, in fact, living yet ill or dying or dead: "an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit".[/b]
    An autopsy is post-mortem, Bobby. After the fact. Put your hacksaw away.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 14:47
    Vigour is for real life. People come here to relax.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree