1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 21:203 edits
    Update : Please ignore this lead post now. This thread can be used for feedback on the production version though.

Hi guys, if you use the Android client, and would like to help test the new build, then join the Google Plus community below, and you should get access to the new build from a link there.

RHP Beta Testing Google+ Community

Why the need for Google Plus? It is a requirement of the Google Play store to manage beta testers using their tools.

If anyone would just rather I uploaded an APK to the site, and you installed it yourself (not for beginners) then I am prepared to do that too.

Thanks,
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    Hi guys, if you use the Android client, and would like to help test the new build, then join the Google Plus community below, and you should get access to the new build from a link there.

[=https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107812766073742059355?hl=en-GB]RHP Beta Testing Google+ Community[/]

Why the need for Google Plus? It is a requirement of the ...[text shortened]... and you installed it yourself (not for beginners) then I am prepared to do that too.

Thanks,
    Russ, it kinda sucks that Google wants to run the whole world and so has that requirement in place. Some (many?) might be put off by having to go through Google+.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 16:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Russ, it kinda sucks that Google wants to run the whole world and so has that requirement in place. Some (many?) might be put off by having to go through Google+.
    I believe it is one hurdle too far too. A shame, because it is a genuinely useful way of managing pre-release software.

As it is, I'll just pull the trigger and go right to production with it with some subsequent releases if need be.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 19:08
    This briefly went live as 0.2.0 and was then subsequently replace by 2.0.1.

They are functionally identical, but some unnecessary permissions were requested which have been removed.
  5. Hell
    Moves
    25 Apr '14 09:422 edits
    Good to see it. Do we post comments/bugs in this thread or elsewhere?

V. Minor point: as black moving from main board to analysis board flips so white becomes bottom of board. It would be nice if on entry the analysis board looked like the main board.

Keep screen on preference ticked but it times out and goes off. S3 android 4.3.

Once one is up-to-date and no game is "my-move" is it possible to see the games and/or message other players.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Apr '14 10:25
    Originally posted by Bael
    Good to see it. Do we post comments/bugs in this thread or elsewhere?

V. Minor point: as black moving from main board to analysis board flips so white becomes bottom of board. It would be nice if on entry the analysis board looked like the main board.

Keep screen on preference ticked but it times out and goes off. S3 android 4.3.

Once one is up-to-date and no game is "my-move" is it possible to see the games and/or message other players.
    I'll address both of those issues - I'll just wait for some further feedback before pushing out a new version.

I can see a few crash reports (although rare). There too will be addressed, hopefully on next release.
  7. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    26 Apr '14 20:01
    I am using it now - looks nice.

Its a presentation issue, but i thought the half move numbering on the analysis board was a bit odd.
    That said i don't know what the alternative should be?
    1w:
    1b:
    2w:
    2b:

maybe this takes up too much room.
  8. Joined
    21 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 17:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 17:21
    An update will be going live tomorrow fixing the issues mentioned above plus a few other minor bugs.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 May '14 12:27
    An update is live now (0.2.2) fixing a number of issues. This is not a feature release, but presentation should be marginally improved for tablet users.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 May '14 22:59
    An update is live now (0.2.2) fixing a number of issues. This is not a feature release, but presentation should be marginally improved for tablet users.
    If my connection is iffy, the app can go into a crash loop (message about "RHP has stopped" repeats over and over).
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 May '14 08:46
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    If my connection is iffy, the app can go into a crash loop (message about "RHP has stopped" repeats over and over).
    I have experienced the "crash loop" you describe during development (not since testing finished though), and I would consider it a serious annoyance, so this will be addressed urgently.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 May '14 15:292 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Is this reproducible, and if so, can you instruct how? I've not had any luck in breaking it in this way with the current version. (Please make sure you are using the very latest build too)

0.2.2b (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netadapt.redhotpawn)
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 May '14 18:44
    Is this reproducible, and if so, can you instruct how? I've not had any luck in breaking it in this way with the current version. (Please make sure you are using the very latest build too)

0.2.2b ([=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netadapt.redhotpawn]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netadapt.redhotpawn[/])
    I have version 0.2.2b, per my app manager.

I do not yet have a way to reproduce the crash on cue. It generally happens in areas with poor wireless reception. I will attempt to draw out the failure next time I am in one of these areas.
  15. SubscriberRagwortonline
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    07 May '14 21:09
    I allowed the app to send a few crash reports. On a Samsung smartphone I would go to the app after the phone had been inactive for some time. I would tap the RHP icon and it would crash most times out of ten and offer the force close/send report option. It would then be fine on reloading. This would happen whether on home wi-fi or 3G. It seems better with the latest update.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree