1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 07:50
    A novel by Stephen King about literature professor and time machine by means of which he travels into 1960. and waits three years so as to prevent Dallas assassination.
    I am of course referring to TV-series being now aired on Fox.
    "Typical King" one might say, nice décor of sixties, funny use of iphone in 1960 and its tragic ending in a river...
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 08:47
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    A novel by Stephen King about literature professor and time machine by means of which he travels into 1960. and waits three years so as to prevent Dallas assassination.
    I've downloaded the first 3-4 episodes but I've been reluctant to start it. I don't think I have the patience to wait three years for the assassination.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 08:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    I've downloaded the first 3-4 episodes but I've been reluctant to start it. I don't think I have the patience to wait three years for the assassination.
    I'm reminded of these TV advertised "collections" of various things such as "the history of flight" "part one only 2 shillings and sixpence, with part two free!". You never know how many are in the "collection" when hot course the publisher doesn't either as they keep it going as long as they possibly can.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 10:42
    "Typical King" one might say, nice décor of sixties, funny use of iphone in 1960 and its tragic ending in a river...
    Wonder how that would change things in the US and the world if JFK had lived. No Vietnam war? Total speculation for sure.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 11:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wonder how that would change things in the US and the world if JFK had lived. No Vietnam war? Total speculation for sure.
    He would possibly have been more able to resist the almost unanimous pressure LBJ got from advisers and military men about going to war in Vietnam, but JFK's second term would probably have been ship-wrecked by sex scandals.
  6. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 15:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's a one off mini-serial of the book isn't it - 8 episodes and all done?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 19:361 edit
    I read the book, and in the book the time portal only goes to 1957 (or is it '58? can't remember). They always change some details when they put it on film (although I imagine it's digital).

And where is this on Fox? If it were on Fox in America, I'd be able to see it. It's only available here on Hulu Plus, meaning you gotta have a sub.

How would an iPhone even work in 1960 with no cell phone towers? And what's this about a river?

*preparing the standard statement about how the book is always better* *grumble, grumble*
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 19:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I read the book, and in the book the time portal only goes to 1957 (or is it '58? can't remember). They always change some details when they put it on film (although I imagine it's digital).

And where is this on Fox? If it were on Fox in America, I'd be able to see it. It's only available here on Hulu Plus, meaning you gotta have a sub.
    How deep does that sub dive?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 19:41
    How deep does that sub dive?
    You've heard of a "subscription"? Everybody's gotta be a comedian.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 19:43
    I'd comment on this, but it requires mentioning a spoiler. And my name is not Seitse.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 22:20

How would a ...[text shortened]... ?

*preparing the standard statement about how the book is always better* *grumble, grumble*
    It's Fox in Europe (at least Balkan Fox).

Iphone was first seen on the literature class - a student didn't pay attention on teacher's lecture but laughing instead at the iphone.
    James Franco - who act main role of the teacher ' asked him what was so funny, and the student showed to him a video clip: a parrot, dancing on Icona Pop's "I Love It".
    (It was also Stephen King's criticism of modern alienated youth who don't care for books blah-blah.)

Ok, in the 1960, the teacher brought with him a notebook with plenty of sport results, because betting is going to be his only way to support himself, to rent a room and live unconspicous life.
    he won a big bet in some dark cafe (probably illegal bookmaker), and he was scared they might come after him to get their money back.
    He rents a room in a motel, and his paranoia proves right: a guy from betting cafe broke into his room. When he came in the guy saw the iphone on the pillow: a parrot dancing on Icona Pop's music.
    James Franco used the opportunity and kicked him, and run away in his newly acquired fancy cabriolet.

Later he throw the iphone from the bridge.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 13:19
    You've heard of a "subscription"? Everybody's gotta be a comedian.
    It's a funny word isn't it! SUB scription. So the real deal would be a "Scription''. I guess the really great ones would be the SUPERscription, eh. I guess what we have is just a small part of the real scription🙂
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 23:45
    Hey, that was a nice de scription.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 01:05
    Originally posted by Benjamin Barker
    It's a one off mini-serial of the book isn't it - 8 episodes and all done?
    It's 3 years from 1960-1963.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 07:01
    It's Fox in Europe (at least Balkan Fox).

Iphone was first seen on the literature class - a student didn't pay attention on teacher's lecture but laughing instead at the iphone.
    James Franco - who act main role of the teacher ' asked him what was so funny, and the student showed to him a video clip: a parrot, dancing on Icona Pop's "I Love It".
    (It ...[text shortened]... nd run away in his newly acquired fancy cabriolet.

Later he throw the iphone from the bridge.
    In the book, he was a high school teacher. With skills like this, he was able to support himself while he was in the past by... wait for it... getting a job as a teacher. There was no "sports notebook" in the book, that was probably added by the director who saw "Back to the Future" too many times. I don't remember an iPhone, either.

I wonder what other details were left out in favor of "more action". I thought the book was the best Stephen King I had read in years -- he did his homework on the actual events surrounding the assassination, including the "behind-the-scenes" manipulations by those associated, even tangentially, with Oswald.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree