1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 17:49
    Just getting this off my chest .............

For all the debate over masks, vaccines and mandates surrounding them, I will have to say that nearly all future hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID will be self-inflicted in general.
    I will say this has been the case since the summer.

The endless links, which I don't even bother opening, aiming to bring out flaws in the response to the pandemic have become tiresome.
    The spread of misinformation is dangerous, at least to the ignorant and stupid.
    Protests outside hospitals to the point of disrupting operations such as admittance of patients be it cancer, heart conditions or the injured from traffic accidents is dangerous.

And for what ??
    Individuals running around crying "freedom" and using the word as a punch line while pursuing agendas that limit freedom elsewhere.

Several individuals in this forum have been called out to put their true agendas on the table.
    And consistently, rather than being honest about where they stand, they then disappear back into the woodwork, until they find another tiresome link to post that most people with a shred of common sense won't bother to read.
    Much of this forum has become ideological spam.

I can at least respect that some posters do believe the ideology they continuously preach, even if I don't agree with them.
    But there are some who simply take a position that they know is incorrect and don't really believe.
    These are the trolls, who seem to be on-line spamming almost 24/7.
    I won't name names, but most of us know who they are.
    It is my hope that we collectively just begin to ignore these indivuduals and maybe, just maybe, they will go away.

Meanwhile, we need to stop snatching defeat from the jaws of victory where COVID is concerned.

Last thing we need is a 5th or 6th wave of this pandemic because it got in the way of the political agendas of the few.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 18:33
    @mghrn55
    It just goes to prove humans are not as intelligent as they are touted to be.
    But maybe it will self correct when those stupid ones die and so doing make the average IQ go up by a micropoint or so🙂
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 18:48
    @mghrn55 said

For all the debate over masks, vaccines and mandates surrounding them, I will have to say that nearly all future hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID will be self-inflicted in general.

The endless links, which I don't even bother opening, aiming to bring out flaws in t ...[text shortened]... is a 5th or 6th wave of this pandemic because it got in the way of the political agendas of the few.
    I don’t understand why the loony anti vax tsunami is tolerated by the mods on here. We cannot use foul language, apparently because there may be impressionable youngsters on here, but they can subjected to the sort of blatant and dangerous misinformation that would rooted out from most social media sites.
    And as you say it’s spam, ergo it’s tedious and boring.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 19:211 edit
    @mghrn55 said

The endless links, which I don't even bother opening, aiming to bring out flaws in t ...[text shortened]... is a 5th or 6th wave of this pandemic because it got in the way of the political agendas of the few.
    While I agree with most of what you said, I'm perplexed by your line: "Last thing we need is a 5th or 6th wave of this pandemic."

To start with, there will be 5th, 6th, 7th and ∞th waves of COVID because COVID is and will stay endemic, like influenza, other coronaviruses, RSV and rinoviruses. When we accept this, we can stop calling it a pandemic. But we're not stopping future waves at this point no matter what we do.

More importantly, assuming you're vaccinated and thus believe you're protected (which you likely are), why does it bother you that much that COVID continues to spread? COVID is a treatable (mainly in advance, with vaccines, but also with MABs and other devices) respiratory virus. We've lived with those things through all of time and will continue to do so until the end of time.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 19:29
    @sh76 said
    While I agree with most of what you said, I'm perplexed by your line: "Last thing we need is a 5th or 6th wave of this pandemic."

To start with, there will be 5th, 6th, 7th and ∞th waves of COVID because COVID is and will stay endemic, like influenza, other coronaviruses, RSV and rinoviruses. When we accept this, we can stop calling it a pandemic. But we're not stopping futur ...[text shortened]... We've lived with those things through all of time and will continue to do so until the end of time.
    We've lived with them through time by distancing and isolating and other public health measures until vaccines came along and eradicated most of the bad ones.

Deadly viruses have always been bothersome.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 20:27
    @sh76 said

To start with, there will be 5th, 6th, 7th and ∞th waves of COVID because COVID is and will stay endemic, like influenza, other coronaviruses, RSV and rinoviruses. When we accept this, we can stop calling it a pandemic. But we're not stopping futur ...[text shortened]... We've lived with those things through all of time and will continue to do so until the end of time.
    An endemic wave would be nice.
    A pandemic wave would be self-inflicted.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 21:192 edits
    @wildgrass said
    We've lived with them through time by distancing and isolating and other public health measures until vaccines came along and eradicated most of the bad ones.

Deadly viruses have always been bothersome.
    We have vaccines and are unlikely to develop better ones (at least in the near term). In a world where substantially everyone is either vaxxed, previously infected or both (coming soon to a world near you), COVID will be ever a flu variant.

This is not smallpox. We’re not going to vaccinate it out of existence.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 01:131 edit
    @sh76 said
    We have vaccines and are unlikely to develop better ones (at least in the near term). In a world where substantially everyone is either vaxxed, previously infected or both (coming soon to a world near you), COVID will be ever a flu variant.

This is not smallpox. We’re not going to vaccinate it out of existence.
    That's very different from your earlier comment that we've lived with them through all of time and shouldn't be bothered by it.

Biological innovations and (often very strict) public health measures have dramatically lowered the burden of viruses on humanity.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 03:14
    @sh76 said

sh: why does it bother you that much that COVID continues to spread?

There were about 12,000 deaths in the US from COVID reported in the last seven days.

Doesn't that "bother you" a wee bit (you're not Eladar after all)?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 04:02
    @no1marauder said
    sh: why does it bother you that much that COVID continues to spread?

There were about 12,000 deaths in the US from COVID reported in the last seven days.

Doesn't that "bother you" a wee bit (you're not Eladar after all)?
    Maybe he has come to realize allowing it to spread is the only possibility of herd immunity. Prolonging the pandemic by slowing the spread will just increase the odds of new variants mutating. Believe it or not, hastening the spread is the best thing we can do right now. I'm not saying I know that will work, but nothing else will.

It is the only chance we have. If it doesn't work it will be like the flu and annoy us FOREVER.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 07:24
    @metal-brain said
    Maybe he has come to realize allowing it to spread is the only possibility of herd immunity. Prolonging the pandemic by slowing the spread will just increase the odds of new variants mutating. Believe it or not, hastening the spread is the best thing we can do right now. I'm not saying I know that will work, but nothing else will.

It is the only chance we have. If it doesn't work it will be like the flu and annoy us FOREVER.
    You cannot have herd immunity when lack of social distancing and masks allow the virus to mutate into variations that the immune system will not recognise.
    The only way to live with this in the short to medium term is reasonable measures plus tweaked vaccines and boosters.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 07:31
    @kevcvs57 said
    You cannot have herd immunity when lack of social distancing and masks allow the virus to mutate into variations that the immune system will not recognise.
    The only way to live with this in the short to medium term is reasonable measures plus tweaked vaccines and boosters.
    You might have herd immunity if everyone gets the virus sooner rather than later. It all depends how many variants come about. Your advice will prolong the pandemic and increase the chances of more variants mutating. The end result will be the same. Everyone will get it.

There is only one chance to achieve herd immunity and there is no guarantee, let the virus spread to hasten herd immunity. Nothing else will work. Follow my advice and at least there is a chance. It is the only chance.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 07:34
    @metal-brain said

You of course are aware about the statistics of mutations? So it is the number of copies, not the time to make it which is the main point. Had we let the pandemic run its course a lot mre people would have dies, several of thoes as "collateral" damage, because of heath system shortage...

The other point of course is: Yes in the rih nations we have a quite oklay vaccination status, but worldwide the situation looks more bleak.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 07:391 edit
    @ponderable said
    You of course are aware about the statistics of mutations? So it is the number of copies, not the time to make it which is the main point. Had we let the pandemic run its course a lot mre people would have dies, several of thoes as "collateral" damage, because of heath system shortage...

The other point of course is: Yes in the rih nations we have a quite oklay vaccination status, but worldwide the situation looks more bleak.
    The variants are mutating to adapt to the gene vaccines in much the same way bacteria mutates to adapt to antibiotics. It is the gene vaccines that are the problem. They are causing more variants, not less according to Nobel Prof. Montagnier. I listen to experts. You should too.

Everyone will get the virus sooner or later. Why would letting it happen sooner possibly cause more variants?
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 08:59
    @metal-brain said
    The variants are mutating to adapt to the gene vaccines in much the same way bacteria mutates to adapt to antibiotics. It is the gene vaccines that are the problem. They are causing more variants, not less according to Nobel Prof. Montagnier. I listen to experts. You should too.

Everyone will get the virus sooner or later. Why would letting it happen sooner possibly cause more variants?
    🚧🚨Moronity of Gop alert!!!🚨🚧

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree