1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    16 May '22 09:14
    At present you get 1 point for a game won regardless.

Why not create an incentive to maximise your current rating (CR)

So for each won game: Scores = 1*CR/TER

(TER = tournament entry rating)

Why not reward achievement by giving a better score if you beat somebody who is probably better than their CR.

Multiply the score again by: Opponents TER/Opponents CR

You would get virtually no drawn challenges and you would reward fair play and achievement.

Why not reward quality as well as quantity, so once you have more than 30 wins in the current year, score is multiplied by current year wins divided by current year defeats or by 1, whichever is the least.

Why not have fixed penalties for joining a clan in the same year as you played in a challenge against that clan for which your new clan gained points. Those points to be deducted from net points total for the remainder of the year regardless of whether you leave the clan again.

The principle is that people don't do things if there is nothing gained by doing them. As such you no longer need clan ratings as players need to maximise their current ratings to help their clan win the challenge.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 May '22 12:351 edit
    @relentless-red said

Why not reward achievement by giving a better score if you beat somebody who is probably better than their CR.

Multiply the score again by: Opponents TER/Opponents ...[text shortened]... clan ratings as players need to maximise their current ratings to help their clan win the challenge.
    Red,
    Many of my clanmates will probably not like my opinion on this one as I seem to be among the few who believe this. Each person should only be in one clan at a time, that would tell exactly where loyalty was.

That would include yourself who are in more than one clan, where is your true loyalty?

-VR
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    16 May '22 12:49
    @very-rusty said
    Red,
    Many of my clanmates will probably not like my opinion on this one as I seem to be among the few who believe this. Each person should only be in one clan at a time, that would tell exactly where loyalty was.

That would include yourself who are in more than one clan, where is your true loyalty?

-VR
    I am in just one clan as I have been all year!
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 May '22 17:11
    @relentless-red said
    I am in just one clan as I have been all year!
    My apology, I was looking at affiliated clubs.

-VR
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '22 09:29
    @relentless-red said

Multiply the score again by: Opponents TER/Opponents ...[text shortened]... clan ratings as players need to maximise their current ratings to help their clan win the challenge.
    Hello red and thank you for putting some thought in that.

One question: since sandbagging is a topic and the TER is only a minor measure, are you sure this would work?
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 May '22 12:53
    One example of why the rating system is flawed:-
    I'm not one for timing out opponents.I play on here for enjoyment,not winning by default.
    I have a game outstanding against Nonkel who hasn't moved for 57 days so there's obviously a problem.I assume a lot of his opponents have timed him out causing his rating to fall.His TER is still showing as 1509.His current rating is 733
    If I had timed him out when the skull first appeared , I would have accrued more rating points as his current rating would have been a lot higher
    I appreciate timeouts have to be included to combat sand bagging.
    Rating points are calculated when a game ends.
    Maybe there's a case for basing the calculation on when a game starts or even on t.e.r?
    I think this has been suggested before but I can't remember why it was rejected.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree