I'm only here to help...

I'm only here to help...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
03 Nov 05

Here are some telltale signs that you might be involved in a Cult. Anything sound familiar, Born Again Xtians?

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Hypnosis
Inducing a state of high suggestibility by hypnosis, often thinly disguised as relaxation or meditation [prayer].

Peer Group Pressure
Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by exploiting the need to belong.

Love Bombing
Creating a sense of family and belonging through flattery. [but God really does love you, though!]

Rejection of Old Values
Accelerating acceptance of new life style by constantly denouncing former values and beliefs.

Confusing Doctrine
Encouraging blind acceptance and rejection of logic through complex lectures on an incomprehensible doctrine.

Metacommunication
Implanting subliminal messages by stressing certain key words or phrases in long, confusing lectures.

Disinhibition
Encouraging child-like obedience by orchestrating child-like behaviour.

Uncompromising Rules
Inducing regression and disorientation by soliciting agreement to seemingly simple rules which regulate behaviour.

Chanting and Singing
Eliminanting non-cult ideas through group repetition of mind-narrowing chants or phrases.

Confession
Encouraging the destruction of individual ego through confession of personal weaknesses and innermost feelings of doubt.

Financial Commitment
Achieving increased dependence on the group by 'burning bridges' to the past, through the donation of assets.

Finger Pointing
Creating a false sense of righteousness by pointing to the shortcomings of the outside world and other cults.

Flaunting Hierarch
Promoting acceptance of cult authority by promising advancement, power and salvation.

No Questions
Accomplishing automatic acceptance of beliefs by discouraging questions.

Guilt
Reinforcing the need for 'salvation' by exaggerating the sins of the former lifestyles.

Fear
Maintaining loyalty and obedience to the group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest 'negative' thought, word or deed.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
03 Nov 05

Originally posted by David C
Here are some telltale signs that you might be involved in a Cult. Anything sound familiar, Born Again Xtians?

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

[b]Hypnosis

Inducing a state of high suggestibility by hypnosis, often thinly disguised as relaxation or meditation [prayer].

Peer Group Pressure
Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by ...[text shortened]... he group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest 'negative' thought, word or deed.[/b]
Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

I consider myself a Christian and find little correlation to any of this...

Hypnosis

What do you have against meditation? Its an upliftment of the soul. I'd advise some caution before the entire Budhist and Zen culture pours down scorn on ya.

Peer Group Pressure
Like you don't have that in any university campus or atheists-anonymous meeting. 😛

Love Bombing
It would be a lonely place without family.

Rejection of Old Values
Nope. Doesn't ring a bell. I'd have thought to the contrary a firm grounding in old values, but thats just me.

Confusing Doctrine
Well everything is confusing until it makes sense. The "rejection of logic" part I strongly disagree with.

Metacommunication
Personally never experienced this one.

Disinhibition
Hmmm... Child-like behaviour... you might be onto something here.

Uncompromising Rules
And here I was, thinking Christianity is a religion of freedom.

Chanting and Singing
Purely as musical and soul fulfillment. BTW, I think heavy-metal has more chanting than singing, do they qualify for cult status?

Confession
Not all deniminations encourage this, although its supposed to be a self-unburdening process of guilt healing.

Financial Commitment
No bridges burnt yet.

Finger Pointing
Don't we all?

Flaunting Hierarch
Men are all equal before God.

No Questions
No questions? This aint Jonestown yet.

Guilt
See confession...

Fear
Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Sorry, had to get one Bible verse in.

I don't deny that some Christians border on cultism, but I think you are yanking this chain a little to far.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
04 Nov 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

I don't deny that some Christians border on cultism, but I think you are yanking this chain a little to far.
and find little correlation to any of this...

Little surprise, Hal. Cult members will always deny their cult is a cult. Viciously, if necessary.

While you might consider yourself aware enough to make your own conscious decisions about xtianity, there is no denying that most of these practices are in place to win new converts to the church. It is also true that many of these converts do not posses the capacity for rational/critical thought that you might. I may be 'yanking a chain', but the fact is: the chain is there to be yanked.

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
04 Nov 05

[b]and find little correlation to any of this...

Little surprise, Hal. Cult members will always deny their cult is a cult. Viciously, if necessary.

While you might consider yourself aware enough to make your own conscious decisions about xtianity, there is no denying that most of these practices are in place to win new converts to the church. It is ...[text shortened]... that you might. I may be 'yanking a chain', but the fact is: the chain is there to be yanked.[/b]
Well pull it off!!!🙂

E

Moves
23 Jul 06
2 edits

[b]and find little correlation to any of this...

While you might consider yourself aware enough to make your own conscious decisions about xtianity, there is no denying that most of these practices are in place to win new converts to the church. It is ...[text shortened]... that you might. I may be 'yanking a chain', but the fact is: the chain is there to be yanked.[/b]
so if he says hes not in a cult, whether hes telling the truth or not you think he is, and if he says he IS in a cult then he is, so he loses either way lol

Edit: you yank more than just chains dont you.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
23 Jul 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
so if he says hes not in a cult, whether hes telling the truth or not you think he is, and if he says he IS in a cult then he is, so he loses either way lol
uh, OK. I simply pasted in some warning signs from an anti-cult website. It could easily apply to Evangelical Christians. Don't take it personally, chief...unless you are one of the Born Agains to whom this applies.

Is that what's passing for "EcstremeVenom" these days? How disappointing.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Jul 06

Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

[b]Hypnosis

What do you have against meditation? Its an upliftment of the soul. I'd advise some caution before the entire Budhist and Zen culture pours down scorn on ya.

Peer Group Pressure
Like you don't have that in any university ...[text shortened]... me Christians border on cultism, but I think you are yanking this chain a little to far.[/b]
All religious groups have some elements of cultism.

p

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
And why would that be? Do they need them?

E

Moves
31 Jul 06

uh, OK. I simply pasted in some warning signs from an anti-cult website. It could easily apply to Evangelical Christians. Don't take it personally, chief...unless you are one of the Born Agains to whom this applies.

[b]Edit: you yank more than just chains dont you.

Is that what's passing for "EcstremeVenom" these days? How disappointing.[/b]
sure is.

m

Moves
31 Jul 06
1 edit

Does this apply to Christians who don't go to church?..
By the way, you missed out feeding and watering the flock to make them feel more relaxed. This only tends to happen at recruiting though.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
02 Aug 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
Carry on, my wayward, son:
There'll be peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest...
Don't you cry no more!

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
02 Aug 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Carry on, my wayward, son:
There'll be peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest...
Don't you cry no more!
Are you disagreeing with that statement or serenading him?

E

Moves
02 Aug 06

[b]Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

im a christian too, but i feel this whole thing was made for christianity lol

c

Moves
05 Aug 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom

it took 2 edits to get that written?

E

Moves
05 Aug 06

Originally posted by clive59
it took 2 edits to get that written?
thats what it says.