1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    03 Nov '05 08:16
    Here are some telltale signs that you might be involved in a Cult. Anything sound familiar, Born Again Xtians?

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Hypnosis
    Inducing a state of high suggestibility by hypnosis, often thinly disguised as relaxation or meditation [prayer].

Peer Group Pressure
    Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by exploiting the need to belong.

Love Bombing
    Creating a sense of family and belonging through flattery. [but God really does love you, though!]

Rejection of Old Values
    Accelerating acceptance of new life style by constantly denouncing former values and beliefs.

Confusing Doctrine
    Encouraging blind acceptance and rejection of logic through complex lectures on an incomprehensible doctrine.

Metacommunication
    Implanting subliminal messages by stressing certain key words or phrases in long, confusing lectures.

Disinhibition
    Encouraging child-like obedience by orchestrating child-like behaviour.

Uncompromising Rules
    Inducing regression and disorientation by soliciting agreement to seemingly simple rules which regulate behaviour.

Chanting and Singing
    Eliminanting non-cult ideas through group repetition of mind-narrowing chants or phrases.

Confession
    Encouraging the destruction of individual ego through confession of personal weaknesses and innermost feelings of doubt.

Financial Commitment
    Achieving increased dependence on the group by 'burning bridges' to the past, through the donation of assets.

Finger Pointing
    Creating a false sense of righteousness by pointing to the shortcomings of the outside world and other cults.

Flaunting Hierarch
    Promoting acceptance of cult authority by promising advancement, power and salvation.

No Questions
    Accomplishing automatic acceptance of beliefs by discouraging questions.

Guilt
    Reinforcing the need for 'salvation' by exaggerating the sins of the former lifestyles.

Fear
    Maintaining loyalty and obedience to the group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest 'negative' thought, word or deed.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Nov '05 08:40
    Originally posted by David C
    Here are some telltale signs that you might be involved in a Cult. Anything sound familiar, Born Again Xtians?

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

[b]Hypnosis

Inducing a state of high suggestibility by hypnosis, often thinly disguised as relaxation or meditation [prayer].

Peer Group Pressure
    Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by ...[text shortened]... he group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest 'negative' thought, word or deed.[/b]
    Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

I consider myself a Christian and find little correlation to any of this...

Hypnosis

What do you have against meditation? Its an upliftment of the soul. I'd advise some caution before the entire Budhist and Zen culture pours down scorn on ya.

Peer Group Pressure
    Like you don't have that in any university campus or atheists-anonymous meeting. 😛

Love Bombing
    It would be a lonely place without family.

Rejection of Old Values
    Nope. Doesn't ring a bell. I'd have thought to the contrary a firm grounding in old values, but thats just me.

Confusing Doctrine
    Well everything is confusing until it makes sense. The "rejection of logic" part I strongly disagree with.

Metacommunication
    Personally never experienced this one.

Disinhibition
    Hmmm... Child-like behaviour... you might be onto something here.

Uncompromising Rules
    And here I was, thinking Christianity is a religion of freedom.

Chanting and Singing
    Purely as musical and soul fulfillment. BTW, I think heavy-metal has more chanting than singing, do they qualify for cult status?

Confession
    Not all deniminations encourage this, although its supposed to be a self-unburdening process of guilt healing.

Financial Commitment
    No bridges burnt yet.

Finger Pointing
    Don't we all?

Flaunting Hierarch
    Men are all equal before God.

No Questions
    No questions? This aint Jonestown yet.

Guilt
    See confession...

Fear
    Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    Sorry, had to get one Bible verse in.

I don't deny that some Christians border on cultism, but I think you are yanking this chain a little to far.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 01:36
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

I don't deny that some Christians border on cultism, but I think you are yanking this chain a little to far.
    and find little correlation to any of this...

Little surprise, Hal. Cult members will always deny their cult is a cult. Viciously, if necessary.

While you might consider yourself aware enough to make your own conscious decisions about xtianity, there is no denying that most of these practices are in place to win new converts to the church. It is also true that many of these converts do not posses the capacity for rational/critical thought that you might. I may be 'yanking a chain', but the fact is: the chain is there to be yanked.
  4. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 01:49
    [b]and find little correlation to any of this...

Little surprise, Hal. Cult members will always deny their cult is a cult. Viciously, if necessary.

While you might consider yourself aware enough to make your own conscious decisions about xtianity, there is no denying that most of these practices are in place to win new converts to the church. It is ...[text shortened]... that you might. I may be 'yanking a chain', but the fact is: the chain is there to be yanked.[/b]
    Well pull it off!!!🙂
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 16:362 edits
    [b]and find little correlation to any of this...

While you might consider yourself aware enough to make your own conscious decisions about xtianity, there is no denying that most of these practices are in place to win new converts to the church. It is ...[text shortened]... that you might. I may be 'yanking a chain', but the fact is: the chain is there to be yanked.[/b]
    so if he says hes not in a cult, whether hes telling the truth or not you think he is, and if he says he IS in a cult then he is, so he loses either way lol

Edit: you yank more than just chains dont you.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 20:59
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    so if he says hes not in a cult, whether hes telling the truth or not you think he is, and if he says he IS in a cult then he is, so he loses either way lol
    uh, OK. I simply pasted in some warning signs from an anti-cult website. It could easily apply to Evangelical Christians. Don't take it personally, chief...unless you are one of the Born Agains to whom this applies.

Is that what's passing for "EcstremeVenom" these days? How disappointing.
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 23:41
    Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

[b]Hypnosis

What do you have against meditation? Its an upliftment of the soul. I'd advise some caution before the entire Budhist and Zen culture pours down scorn on ya.

Peer Group Pressure
    Like you don't have that in any university ...[text shortened]... me Christians border on cultism, but I think you are yanking this chain a little to far.[/b]
    All religious groups have some elements of cultism.
  8. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 06:19
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    And why would that be? Do they need them?
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 06:32
    uh, OK. I simply pasted in some warning signs from an anti-cult website. It could easily apply to Evangelical Christians. Don't take it personally, chief...unless you are one of the Born Agains to whom this applies.

[b]Edit: you yank more than just chains dont you.

Is that what's passing for "EcstremeVenom" these days? How disappointing.[/b]
    sure is.
  10. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 10:561 edit
    Does this apply to Christians who don't go to church?..
    By the way, you missed out feeding and watering the flock to make them feel more relaxed. This only tends to happen at recruiting though.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 02:01
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Carry on, my wayward, son:
    There'll be peace when you are done.
    Lay your weary head to rest...
    Don't you cry no more!
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 02:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Carry on, my wayward, son:
    There'll be peace when you are done.
    Lay your weary head to rest...
    Don't you cry no more!
    Are you disagreeing with that statement or serenading him?
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 02:24
    [b]Yeah, yeah. Funny. 😀😀😀

im a christian too, but i feel this whole thing was made for christianity lol
  14. Joined
    29 Nov '04
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 00:05
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom

it took 2 edits to get that written?
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 00:09
    Originally posted by clive59
    it took 2 edits to get that written?
    thats what it says.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree