1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 09:571 edit
    Inappropriate language/swearing/bad language is not acceptable on these public forums.

A tolerant approach, where the context of the post has been considered, has not been successful. One person's use of inappropriate language just seems to feed the desire of others to swear, and when one post is moderated and not another, it always causes complaints of unfair treatment.

Therefore, all posts containing inappropriate language will be removed. As a general guideline, if you would not repeat your post word for word to your mother, then don't post it!

All posts containing language deemed inappropriate will be removed, regardless of how masterful the post was. So if you don't want it removed, check your language. No consideration for post content will be given.

Some other points :

1) Obfuscating swear words is no better than posting the word in its true form.

2) Think before following up the first post in a thread where the first post contains inappropriate language. When the first post is moderated, all following posts are moderated too.

3) Basic netiquette. Threads titles which feature all capital letters (or some other attention seeking methods) will be removed.

Larger private forums are on the way. These rules do not apply to the current private forums or imminent private forums.

And a final request to subscribers, do remember you can help with the moderation process by alerting posts. Thanks.

-Russ
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 10:20
    Originally posted by Russ
    Inappropriate language/swearing/bad language is not acceptable on these public forums.

A tolerant approach, where the context of the post has been considered, has not been successful. One person's use of inappropriate language just seems to feed the desire of others to swear, and when one post is moderated and not another, it always causes complaints of u ...[text shortened]... rs, do remember you can help with the moderation process by alerting posts. Thanks.

-Russ
    The horror....oh the horror....

My Mum, by the way, is the most foul-mouthed 59 year old this side of the North Sea...
    Billy Connolly sounds like a Nun teaching "Manners" at a public school for nice people, compared to my Ma...

🙂
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 10:241 edit
    Has RoboMod been beefed up or are you going to christen some new Forum Mods? What you have right now ain't gonna cut it.
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 10:25
    One person's use of inappropriate language just seems to feed the desire of others to swear, and when one post is moderated and not another, it always causes complaints of unfair treatment.
    I'd agree with your rationale here. It all seems to ring too clearly of Nietzsche's postulate on our morality of mediocrity and the deplorability of often obvious herd-instincts of mankind, Goethe was also quick to criticize the ways that modern entertainment and the press promoted passivity and conformity.

You're doing a great job Russ, keep it up.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 10:32
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The horror....oh the horror....

My Mum, by the way, is the most foul-mouthed 59 year old this side of the North Sea...
    Billy Connolly sounds like a Nun teaching "Manners" at a public school for nice people, compared to my Ma...

🙂
    Before I read your post, your mother was the first one I thought of after reading Russ'. My mother was second. It might be helpful if all the inappropiate words are just spelled out and listed. If we're going to do this, this is the only thing that makes sense. List them in the ToS.

Shav and myself did not receive proper upbringing.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 10:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Before I read your post, your mother was the first one I thought of after reading Russ'. My mother was second. It might be helpful if all the inappropiate words are just spelled out and listed. If we're going to do this, this is the only thing that makes sense. List them in the ToS.

I think a list of banned words is an excellent idea. That way nobody can say: "I didn't know that word was banned."

A room 101 of banned words!

Can I offer "tomato" as a banned word? Despicable fruit...
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 10:38
    Originally posted by kirksey957

I don't think that is really necessary.

-Russ
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 11:131 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 11:19

-Russ
    ha ha ha ha

I guess I couldn't make a joke like that. 🙂

Ok, so using asterisks to cover up a word that isn't even a bad word, but could be perceived as such, is also forbidden. Got it.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 11:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 12:12

-Russ
    Russ, in all sincerity, I was trying to make it easier for you down the road.
  12. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 12:16
    Once we have a list of banned words, we can then start on the list of banned topics...
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 14:18
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    Once we have a list of banned words, we can then start on the list of banned topics...
    How can you ban a topic?
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 14:27
    Originally posted by Starrman
    How can you ban a topic?
    I don't think you can. Especially when you can get two of them for only £1.29.

http://www.britishcandy.com/more_cadburys_chocolate_bars2310.htm
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 14:292 edits
    Threads titles which feature all capital letters (or some other attention seeking methods) will be removed.
    Apparently, that doesn't include: "LONDON MEET-UP TOURNAMENT", "-=- *Wanted* Opponent Rated 2000+ -=-", "DOES ANYONE PLAY HALO???", "I PLAY EVREYDAY AT SAME TIME!!", "********THE WHO IS GAME*********", "***THE CAN YOU SEARCH ON GOOGLE GAME***", """""""""WHAT IS THE CAPITAL OF GAME""...", or any other old thread like that.

You need to be consistent, or it won't sit well with the community at large, I think.

[Also: instead of deleting the thread, couldn't you just strtolower on thread titles (preserving the first letter as uppercase), and str_replace on asterisks and the like?]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree