1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 04:392 edits
    I thought I would help some of the beginner on the site with their chess. I'll go over some GM games and try to explain the moves to the best of my ability. Hopefully, it helps you guys improve. Feel free to post and comments about the games. If lots of people are interested then I'll go through some more games. The first game we will look at is:

[White "P Morphy"]
    [Black "A Morphy"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4
    This is the King's gambit accepted.

3. Bc4 Qh4+
    Mostly White plays 3.Nf3 to prevent Qh4+

4. Kf1 Bc5
    Threatening mate on f2.

5. d4 Bb6 6. Nf3 Qe7
    Attacking the e-pawn

7. Nc3 Nf6
    Attacking the e-pawn again

8.Qd3 c6
    To support d5

9. Bxf4 d5 10. exd5 O-O

The Black King had to get off the e-file otherwise 11.Re1 is troublesome.

For example 10...cxd5 11.Re1 and Black has to be very careful how he handles the pin on the e-file. See the diagram below.

11. d6 Qd8 12. Re1 Re8 13. Ng5
    Attacking f7

13...Rxe1+ 14. Kxe1 Qe8+
    Defending f7 and throwing in a check

15. Kd2 Be6 16. Re1
    Pinning the Bishop!

16...Nbd7 17. Nxe6 fxe6 18. Rxe6!! 1-0
    This is better then Bxe6+. Rxe6 threatens the Queen and mate. If the Queen moves anywhere then Re8++ is double check and rememeber to get out of double check the King must move. There are no moves for the King therefore it is mate.

Thus Black's only option is to move his king to f8 or h8 and lose the queen or resign.

Black's lack of development lead to his downfall. Black's queenside was asleep and when it woke up, it was to late. Notice how Black made lots of moves with his Queen while white simply kept developing his pieces logically.

Any comments? Once again, If i get feedback and people are interested then I will go over more games to help the begineers on this site out.
  2. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 05:381 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I thought I would help some of the beginner on the site with their chess. I'll go over some GM games and try to explain the moves to the best of my ability. Hopefully, it helps you guys improve. Feel free to post and comments about the games. If lots of people are interested then I'll go through some more games. The first game we will look at is:

[White "P are interested then I will go over more games to help the begineers on this site out.
    hey, this is pretty good rahim ... great job hope alot of people can appreciate this

****maybe throw in some detailed variations too
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 06:02
    Originally posted by acubed123
    hey, this is pretty good rahim ... great job hope alot of people can appreciate this

****maybe throw in some detailed variations too
    Thanks. I hope it does help people and they show a interest and we can get weekly lessons going on on here. Studying master games, even such simple ones can increase you rating a lot. Lots of GM's say that and I belive it to be true.

There aren't any great variations for this game. The only one occurs after Re1. I put a diagram for that and its Black's move. You guys can work on that and then i'll post the variation after. Don't use a computer though. It won't do anything for you chess. Do it in your head or if you absolutely need to, then set it up on a board and find the right moves.

There are mainly 3 moves to consider in that position for black. Remeber the queen is attacked. You can't move it since its pinned. So either 1) capture the rook or 2) block the attack.

Work on that , and i'll post later. Good luck everyone.
  4. Behind You!
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 04:17
    Radio Rahim is da man!.
  5. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 03:41
    King's Gambit...I love it...I hate it...at least I can play it... very cute though, Rahim, real cute 😉
  6. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 03:56
    Rahim, I am from Edmonton. You?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 10:00
    Thanks Rahim.

Please go on with this and perhabs look into older games of GM before they startet to take off.

I really appreciate the time you invest in here and thank you for this opportunity.

Chris
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 16:43
    O good some audience 🙂 Funny thing, yesterday in our tournament I had Black vs a King's Gambit. I was expecting a Ruy Lopez and was some what shocked. I don't like play against it either.

I'll put another game up soon, I'm in Univ right now.

Yes, i'm from edmonton. Do you go to the ECC, pros____?
  9. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 20:06
    is the c6 d5 manouvre before castling a blunder?

PS. it's not very important but the last piece about "if the queen moves anywere" is not entirely true 😉
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 23:04
    Originally posted by Testrider
    is the c6 d5 manouvre before castling a blunder?

PS. it's not very important but the last piece about "if the queen moves anywere" is not entirely true 😉
    Well I suppose the queen could move to f7 which doesn't lead to mate but the queen would be lost.

18...Qf7 19.Re7 Qxc4 20.Qxc4+

As for the c6 d5 idea. I think its way to slow, Black should develop as fast as he can.

8...d6 to prevent e5 ideas by White and was better then 8...c6.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 23:141 edit
    For those of you who tried the "homework" assignment on how to block the e-file in the position below with black to move, here is my solution:

11...Ne4 would be a huge blunder because of 12.Nxd5 attacking the Queen and removing the defender of the e4 Knight.

Once the Queen moves, 13.Rxe4 and White is up a pieces.

Correct is 11...Be6 12.Nxd5 threatening the Black Queen and if the Queen moves then 13.Nxf6+ followed by 14.d5 winning the Bishop on e6 since it's pinned.

Therefore, 11...Be6 12.Nxd5 Nxd5 13.Bxd5 0-0

White's still winning here and can try stuff like 14.Ng5 attacking the Bishop again and threatening mate on h7.

From this game, we learnt the following lessons:

1. Develop you pieces quickly
    2. When a piece is pinned, attack it again and again
    3. Look for weakness around the king
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 00:111 edit
    Welcome Chess fans to another Chess FM lecture sponsored by ICC. I'm your host, Tony Rook along with GM John Fedorowicz. Welcome John. Thanks, Tony. It great to be hear. Well John, what did see in this game, Morphy played? Tony, I gotta tell ya, you gotta be disappointed in Morphy's play. The guy gives Rook odds and then makes some controversial moves to win the game. His opponent fell for the trap and lost the game from a winning position. Indeed, Indeed, well John, lets get to the game.

Haha, pretty good eh? Hehe, alright enough of that.

Today's game is unique in that Paul Morphy (White) gives Rook odds to his opponent, LeCarpentier (Black). Thus, in the starting position, remove the White rook from a1.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4

This is the King's Pawn opening. White tries to get his pieces out rapidly, castle and start an attack. I don't like talking about openings much but 4...Nf6 is better then the move played by black.

4... Bb4+ 5.c3 dxc3 6.O-O cxb2 7.Bxb2 Attacking the g7 pawn.

So we see that White's is almost full mobolized and his king is safe, while black's king is still in the middle.

7... Bf8 Protecting the g7 pawn. 7...Nf6 is better and prepares the way for castling.

8.e5 Preventing the Black Knight from developing to f6

8...d6 9.Re1
    Putting the Rook on an open or half open file is always good especially when the opponents king is on that file. He can feel the pressure.

9...dxe5 Trying to trade the Queen's off. It is usually harder to atack when the Queen's are off the board. The Queen is a great attacking piece. Plus, Black is up a rook so he should trade of material.

10.Nxe5 Qxd1 11.Bxf7+
    Forcing the Black King to take a stroll outside.

11... Ke7 12.Ng6++
    Rememeber its a double check so the King must move.

12... Kxf7 13.Nxh8# 1-0
    And the King is mated. Very unique mating pattern.

Black's moves were not forced, thus he should not have got mate. Your assignment is to find the best move for Black after 11.Bxf7+
    In fact Black should have won the game. Don't use a chess program. It's very easy🙂 Good luck.

Black to move. Remeber Black is up a Rook to begin with.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 20:50
    No comments about this game? I know it was a very short game but it teaches some important lessons, that is why I went over it.

I don't mind going over games on here, but it does take me 1-2 hours and I don't want to be wasting my time doing this if no one cares to learn. So I would appreciate some comments about the game and questions, etc...
  14. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 21:49
    Originally posted by RahimK

[White "P ...[text shortened]... are interested then I will go over more games to help the begineers on this site out.
    Thanks Papa Rahim! HAHA
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 22:25
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Thanks Papa Rahim! HAHA
    Those aren't the comments I was looking for. I meant comments about the games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree