1. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 01:35
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Welcome Chess fans to another Chess FM lecture sponsored by ICC. I'm your host, Tony Rook along with GM John Fedorowicz. Welcome John. Thanks, Tony. It great to be hear. Well John, what did see in this game, Morphy played? Tony, I gotta tell ya, you gotta be disappointed in Morphy's play. The guy gives Rook odds and then makes some controversial moves to win ...[text shortened]... 1qR1K1 b kq - 0 11[/fen]

Black to move. Remeber Black is up a Rook to begin with.
    Thanks for taking the time out - will have a good look through the game tomorrow - stick with the lessons though. A great idea.
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 18:44
    If the king doesn't move to E7 (Checkmate very soon after) must be D8. Then he loses a queen but can bring out his bishop to protect and is at least a pawn up. I'm not sure where white lost his rook?? when I followed the game the fork was threatened but white castled just in time to save the rook. You are right though - a very surprising checkmate. Got any more??
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 23:50
    Originally posted by horsey
    If the king doesn't move to E7 (Checkmate very soon after) must be D8. Then he loses a queen but can bring out his bishop to protect and is at least a pawn up. I'm not sure where white lost his rook?? when I followed the game the fork was threatened but white castled just in time to save the rook. You are right though - a very surprising checkmate. Got any more??
    The game was an odd's or handicap game. Morphy was so much better then other players, that he would give them odd's. In this game he gave the his opponent rooks odds meaning his a1 rook was removed prior to the game starting. So Black is up a rook to being with.

Ya Kd8 is the only other move but is Rxd1+ really the best move for White? He can do better, an inbetween move first.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 00:02
    I got a nice treat for those who follow my lessons. Tommorrow, I will post a game between Kasparov and Petrosian. Petrosian has brought a lot of ideas and theory into chess and is very respect in the chess world. I read in a book that after a chess game, when Gm's were analysing and lots of other GM's, IM's and such were gathered around their table shouting out solutions.( If you play OTB then you know what i'm talking about🙂 ) Petrosian would open his mouth and everyone would go silent to hear what he had to say. He was that great!
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 03:05
    This is the position which I asked people to work on with Black to move and win the game.

11...Kd8 is much better then Ke7 which was played in the game. Now White had 2 main moves, 12.Nxc6+ or 12.Rxd1+

12.Nxc6+ is better since it splits up the Blacks pawns.

12.Nxc6+ bxc6 13.Rxd1+ Ke7 14.Bc4 and Black is clearly winning.

12.Rxd1+ would lead to ke7 13.Bc4 Nxe5 14.Bxe5

Both positions are very similar but might as well break up blacks pawns if you have the chance.

LeCarpentier made the wrong move 11...Ke7 but he still had another chance to save the game which he missed.

11...Ke7 12.Ng6+ Kd8! 13.Rxd1+ Bd6 14.Nxh8 Nf6 15.Bc4 allowing the Knight to come back via f7. The position looks like this with Black to move:

Black is up a pawn and has reasonable development but the position is harder to win for black compared to before if he had played 11...Kd8!

Lessons learned:

1.Even great players such make mistakes. We should learnt from them and not make them again.

2.Never underestimate your opponents. Always assumes he finds the best move. Only set traps if it helps your position. Don't set a trap which if your opponent doesn't fall for, will ruin your position. If black hadn't fallen for this trap then he morphy would have lost. Thus it was a bad idea for morphy to set this trap.

3.Always make sure your king is safe. Mates can happen anytime.

4.Don't be greedy. Black kept snatching pawns, neglecting his development and then eventually got to greedy and grabbed the bishop which he paid dearly for.

Hope you enjoyed this game.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 20:341 edit
    Welcome everyone. This is Game 3 of this thread. I hope you enjoy it.

White: Kasparov
    Black: T. Petrosian

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Bb4+

This is the Bogo-Indian Defense. One of my favorites as Black which I play often.

4. Bd2 Qe7

Petrosian doesn't want to waste time by retreating the bishop. If White plays 5.Nc3 then this invites 2 exchanges. 5.Nc3 Bxc3 6.Bxc3 Ne4 and Nxc3 next move. Black has less space and therefore welcomes exchanges.

5.g3

If white tries 5.Bxd4 then he drops either the c4 or b2 pawn after 5...Qxd4+

5...Bxd2+ 6.Qxd2 0-0 7.Bg2

Keep you eye on Blacks bishop on c8 during this game. See how much better White's bishop is on g2.

7...d5 challenging the white center

8.0-0 dxc4
    Black is in a hurry to simplify the position. 8...Rd8 is better since it shuts down the white bishop for now. Black feels the c5 will equalize the game.

9.Na3! intending to recapture on c4 with a knight.

9...c5 10.dxc5 Qxc5 11.Rac1

Putting pressure on the c-pawn and the Queen. The pawns are almost identical and it looks very drawish.White's winning chances depend on his greater mobility.

11...Nc6 12.Nxc4 Qe7 13.Nfe5 Nxe5 14.Nxe5

Notice the pressure along the c file and the a8-h1 diagonal. Black wants to play Bd7 and connect his rooks but Rc7 pinning the bishop is hard to meet. Rc7 is better then Bxb7.

14...Nd5

Petrosian is willing to give up a pawn to develop his bishop. The variation runs, 15.Bxd5 exd5 16.Qxd5 Bh3 followed by 17...Rfd8 when the c8 bishop has come alive.

15.Rfd1! Refuses the bait.

15...Nb6 There was nothign better. 16...Bd7 17.Nxd7 Qxd7 e4 wins a piece. 16...Rd8 looses in the same fashion.

16.Qa5! Ties the rook down to the a7 pawn and controls c7 square for the rook indirectly after the knight moves!

16...g6 preventing back rank stuff and trying to trade off a rook with Rd8 next move.

17.Rd3! See problems below

17...Nd5 18.e4! Notice the control of the queen on the c7 square.

Therefore 18...Nb6 stopping Rc7.

19.Bf1 Improving the bishop

19...Re8 20.Rdd1 Rf8
    Black is just waiting. Why can't Black play 20...Bd7 see below problem.

21.a3! proving that black has nothing

21...Kg7 22.b3 Kg8 Killing time.

23.a4 White next move is to remove the Queen and play a5 kicking the Knight to d7 where it can be fatally pinned.

23...Rd8 Because of the a5 threat, Black has to try an active move which is crushed immediately.

24.Qc5! 1-0.

Notice how the Black bishop and Rook on a8 didn't take a part in the game? It was as if White was up a bishop and a rook. Petrosian was totally paralysed by Kasp.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 20:386 edits

White has just played 17.Rd3! Why can't Black play 17...Rd8?
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 20:43
    White has just played 20.Rdd1 . Why can't Black develop his bishop and play 20...Bd7?

9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 20:44
    White has just played 24.Qc5! Why did Black resign?

10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 20:44
    Can you only add 1 fen per post? I tried getting 3 and then 2 on one post but it kept deleting them.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 21:561 edit
    Nothing hey?

I got some great games from Kasp, Karpov, Kramnik, Ivanchuk and some others.

But since no one is solving the problems which are very easy and commenting on the game/questions I'm not going to waste a couple of hours on doing this.

Your guys lose.
  12. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 22:131 edit

[fen]r1br2k1/pp2qp1p/1n2p1p1/2Q1N3/P3P3/1P4P1/5P1P/2RR1BK1 b - - 0 24[/fen]
    that graphic is so small its hurting my eyes.
    Lets see......
    That queen looks like shes working hard...
    What about it folks? how can white win?
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 22:211 edit
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    that graphic is so small its hurting my eyes.
    Lets see......
    That queen looks like shes working hard...
    What about it folks? how can white win?
    Naw, it's black to move. Question is why did Black resign?

There are 2 problems before that also.
  14. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 22:45
    Naw, it's black to move. Question is why did Black resign?

There are 2 problems before that also.
    I know that, so how is white winning?
    Like i said, that queen is overloaded... but which one?
  15. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 22:53

[fen]r1br2k1/pp2qp1p/1n2p1p1/2Q1N3/P3P3/1P4P1/5P1P/2RR1BK1 b - - 0 24[/fen]
    Relax, dude, it's late Friday night here. Smart move - Black loses a rook, come what may. And I'm way past my bed time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree