1. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 14:00
    Hello Russ/Chriss/All

Could we have the long-overdue auto-timeout in clan games (same principle as in tournament games) please be implemented this year ?

That would make life much easier for all clan leaders

Many thanks
    Boris
  2. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 14:26
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    Hello Russ/Chriss/All

Could we have the long-overdue auto-timeout in clan games (same principle as in tournament games) please be implemented this year ?

Many thanks
    Boris
    Yup, I agree.
    Rec.
  3. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    06 Jan '07 23:52
    bump
  4. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 10:01
    bump
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 11:361 edit
    Hello Russ/Chriss/All

Many thanks
    Boris
    Rec'd 🙂

This would be very useful for when in a challenge you have 2 players dissapear from the site, hence never finishing a challenge off (Family Guy has one such occasion as does Metillica).
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 12:17
    Hello Russ/Chriss/All

Many thanks
    Boris
    This is a terrible idea Slow Pawn! Nevertheless, I'll do you a favour because we're such good buddies. Let's ask Russ to implement it IMMEDIATELY, I'll take full responsibility for the... er... horrendous fallout, don't worry, we'll pretend like it was all my idea, no-one will be the wiser. Then you don't have to face any negative criticism for this idiotic suggestion! Deal?
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 12:22
    Hello Russ/Chriss/All

Many thanks
    Boris
    This idea won't work. It won't work for a reason.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=13
  8. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 12:28
    Originally posted by Ian68
    This idea won't work. It won't work for a reason.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=13
    That's a stupied reason.

Look what we did with the leagues:

http://www.timeforchess.com/vote/result.php?voteid=6
  9. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 12:34
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    That's a stupied reason.

Look what we did with the leagues:

http://www.timeforchess.com/vote/result.php?voteid=6
    That's a very small response.

The vacation system vote has 2000+ votes and shows more than two thirds of people in favour. (And why not, every other correspondence chess organisation I have come across has one.) If auto time-out is brought in without a vacation system being introduced then over two thirds of the people here may decide they don't want to play clan games.
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 13:17
    That's a very small response.

The vacation system vote has 2000+ votes and shows more than two thirds of people in favour. (And why not, every other correspondence chess organisation I have come across has one.) If auto time-out is brought in without a vacation system being introduced then over two thirds of the people here may decide they don't want to play clan games.
    Uh...

There are currently two thousand five hundred and thirty six people in active clans on RHP. Those people understand the timeout rules associated with playing online chess. You could say roughly the same amount of people were playing when we voted on clan league games, but that was a seperate issue, and auto-timeouts on league games was something that should have been included from the beginning anyway, the league can grind to a halt without it. There was a small turnout for that vote because the voters were probably mostly a few clan leaders and league players.

Back to the issue at hand, the two thousand five hundred and thirty six people in active clans signed up to play in those clans without a cushy vacation system in place. Playing in a clan involves making a committment to your clan that you will do your best not to get timed out no matter what, I voted no on that vacation setting because I'll never get timed out of a clan game, and if I ever play you or anyone else in a clan game, and your timebank runs out with an auto time-out in place, it'll never get to go off because I'll take the skull the second it appears, I couldn't give a damn about your vacation.

The auto time-out rule is to prevent things like this happening: Clan challenge 69352

Both users, royalchicken and jay777, have left rhp, I've sent my snifferdogs after royalchicken this morning after I daringly defeated dwot. Now we all sit and wait indefinitely.
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 13:46
    ...the timeout rules associated with playing online chess.
    You seem to be making a sweeping generalization there. Can you actually name another online CC site that doesn't have a vacation system? I can name several that do.
  12. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 13:56
    You seem to be making a sweeping generalization there. Can you actually name another online CC site that doesn't have a vacation system? I can name several that do.
    Congratulations. If you have any of their urls, please type one of them into your address bar and press enter. It would be much easier than trying to change redhotpawn into your favourite other site. Ta ta.
  13. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 13:58
    Congratulations. If you have any of their urls, please type one of them into your address bar and press enter. It would be much easier than trying to change redhotpawn into your favourite other site. Ta ta.
    I'm sure Russ will be impressed with the fine job you are doing in encouraging people to renew their subscriptions.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 14:33
    Vacation system is coming. (Coded already, about to be tested)

Timeouts for clan challenge games is coming too, but it will apply only to games where neither player has moved for 6 weeks. The purpose is not so much to make people move within the time controls, but to tidy up abandoned games and bring challenges to a conclusion.

So, very distinct from the tournament timeouts.

-Russ
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 14:43
    I'm going to take all my time at the start of a year and end to hold up games I've lost for sure.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree