1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:231 edit
    I would recommend not to be arrogant against opening which you dont understand. I mean not only unortodoux openings like Grob (1.g4) or Latvians gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5), but also some classics openings (like French) which some people misunderstands, showing their arrogance and ignorance. 😠
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:291 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. back in business
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    or 1.d4?
  4. warum?
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Korch
    I would recommend not to be arrogant against opening which you dont understand. I mean not only unortodoux openings like Grob (1.g4) or Latvians gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5), but also some classics openings (like French) which some people misunderstands, showing their arrogance and ignorance. 😠
    Amen!

The Latvian and Grob aren't THAT bad -- but there are better openings, no doubt about it!

Tony Miles seemed to specialize in unorthdox openings and he did alright.
  5. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:35
    Hey! If people want to dismiss the french and lose in 20 moves against me, then more power to them!
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    They are absolutely playable - in opening white can afford (almost) everything in their first move. So such moves are useful to take off opponent from theory and provocating to punish white for that, which isnt so easy.

Btw. Have you heard about 1.e4 c5 2.Na3!? (possible also after 1.Na3 c5 2.e4) - line invented by russian GM Zvjagincev few years ago? He have good results against GMs in this line.
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:42
    Originally posted by Crushing Day
    Amen!

The Latvian and Grob aren't THAT bad -- but there are better openings, no doubt about it!

Tony Miles seemed to specialize in unorthdox openings and he did alright.
    Of course there are objective better opening than Latvian and Grob,etc., but sometimes (or against some kind of players) using these opening can be more effective, than using classical openings.
  8. back in business
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 16:46
    They are absolutely playable - in opening white can afford (almost) everything in their first move. So such moves are useful to take off opponent from theory and provocating to punish white for that, which isnt so easy.

Btw. Have you heard about 1.e4 c5 2.Na3!? (possible also after 1.Na3 c5 2.e4) - line invented by russian GM Zvjagincev few years ago? He have good results against GMs in this line.
    some guy named tony or something beat (or drew) Anatoly Karpov with 1.e4 e5 2.a3 or something like that.
  9. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 17:43
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    some guy named tony or something beat (or drew) Anatoly Karpov with 1.e4 e5 2.a3 or something like that.
    1.e4 a6...

Karpov- (Anthony) Miles 0-1

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1068157
  10. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 17:50
    Of course there are objective better opening than Latvian and Grob,etc., but sometimes (or against some kind of players) using these opening can be more effective, than using classical openings.
    I played a simul against Miles.

Afterwards i spent some time talking to him.

I asked him about his openings and his famous win.

It was not that he thought his unusual openings strong, but when playing Kasparov and Karpov, you had to realise that they employed teams of great players to find them opening novelties in all the main lines. He felt that it was the main obstacle for him to mount any serious challenge for the top.
  11. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 18:15
    I agree completely. Some people do better in certain kinds of opening than others, even if it is "theoretically worse". From what I have learned, it is much more important to play in positions/openings you like. And the only reason I go with some of the more common openings (rather than the Grob) is because I want some solidity when I play - openings that can't end with disaster on move ten. With this said, one should never underestimate the power of taking someone out of the book, it usually also involves a psychological advantage as long you feel good yourself.

But, in which way do you think some show arrogance towards, e.g. the french?
  12. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:07
    Originally posted by Golub
    .....But, in which way do you think some show arrogance towards, e.g. the french?
    In thread "Enigma of the French"
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:13
    The advice to newbies should be to stick with established openings. People play 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 because its how beginners play and they don't know any different.

While not meaning that the less popular openings are not "playable" you should stick to opening conventions against irregular openings.
  14. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:45
    2.Qh5 is a very powerful signal of someone attempting a rather foolhardy early mate, one that a lot of experienced players learn how to refute and simulataneously gain an advantage (while the other player spends time backpedaling the queen).

2.Qf3 and even 2.Bc4 will raise an eyebrow as the moderate and conservative method of trying the same tactic of a queen mate backed by a bishop against the weak f-pawn.

I don't know as much about more modern openings which seek to control the center in an indirect manner, or perhaps put some pressure in other locations.

I simply play as I usually do, try to solidify the center, and prevent any opponent plans from coming to fruition, meet with some success, some failure..
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 20:12
    Or the KG for that matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree