1. San Diego
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 00:19
    There are threads about early checkmates (10 or fewer moves, 20 or fewer moves). But here is something more rare: Do you have any games with early pawn promotions (say, about move 15 or earlier), or "legitimate" underpromotions? By legitimate, I mean that they actually served some purpose, even if they weren't the best move, but some purpose other than "just for the heck of it."
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 00:39
    Originally posted by HolyT
    There are threads about early checkmates (10 or fewer moves, 20 or fewer moves). But here is something more rare: Do you have any games with early pawn promotions (say, about move 15 or earlier), or "legitimate" underpromotions? By legitimate, I mean that they actually served some purpose, even if they weren't the best move, but some purpose other than "just for the heck of it."
    not on this site, but rather in live chess!
    I was in a rated tournament once, and I promoted a pawn on move six (my first move was a knight move, the rest were pawns...) and my opponent couldn't recapture immediately. We had to bring a TD over, and he stopped our clocks until another board had a captured black pawn we could use. Since I had promoted in like ten seconds flat, we had to wait for a while (five minutes of sitting at a board just waiting while others around you are playing seems like forever)
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 01:35
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    not on this site, but rather in live chess!
    I was in a rated tournament once, and I promoted a pawn on move six (my first move was a knight move, the rest were pawns...) and my opponent couldn't recapture immediately. We had to bring a TD over, and he stopped our clocks until another board had a captured black pawn we could use. Since I had promoted in ...[text shortened]... utes of sitting at a board just waiting while others around you are playing seems like forever)
    man to do that your opponent must have wanted you to get another queen also
  4. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 18:062 edits
    Game 3170465

Promotion for a checkmate. I liked this game.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 18:092 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 18:24
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 19:51
    Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
    Game 3170465

Promotion for a checkmate. I liked this game.
    should have done it with a rook...
    just looks better...
  8. San Diego
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 20:02
    Nice examples, especially the N promotion, which was not for a checkmate or a fork, which are the "normal" reasons you see. Keep 'em coming!
  9. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '07 21:22
    Not on here, but in a blitz game I once had someone play right into the (not so?) well known Albin Counter-Gambit Lasker trap: 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e5 3. cxd5 exd4 4. e3 Bb4+ 5. Bd2 dxe3! 6. Bxb4? exf2+ 7. Ke2 fxg1=N+!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree