1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 11:49
    Can't we keep all of the volunteers and create 2 independent mod teams?

That would also help if there was suspicion about a single game mod, as the other team could check him as usual without any conflict of interest.

Also, this could mean more investigations and therefore faster processing on average.
  2. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 11:51
    Originally posted by Palynka

That would also help if there was suspicion about a single game mod, as the other team could check him as usual without any conflict of interest.

Also, this could mean more investigations and therefore faster processing on average.
    Yes please
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 12:49

I think that only 3 game mods certainly looks too short. But I don't think I'd like to see all of the current aplicants game modding.

Your two teams idea looks good and maybe two teams of 3 game mods at least would be very nice.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:233 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    2 teams is a bad idea, the team needs to know what everyone is doing.

Gate and Tebb will both make the team with luck. They work great together, but would probably end up on separate teams since they are so experienced. If you have 2 teams, one will always be better suited than the other.

Also, Gate explained his problems with this idea and they ar ime dictates who to work on, and who to wait on. 2 teams doing this is not an advantage.

P-
    From the announcements thread.

2 teams is a bad idea, the team needs to know what everyone is doing.
    Not necessarily. Each team could work independently, with a central database containing all evidence. It's a very simple database operation to assign individual users to a particular team and then automatically forwarding all evidence regarding this user to that team.

If you have 2 teams, one will always be better suited than the other.
    It's obviously a trade-off. I think that any imbalances will be small and the benefits I mentioned above certainly outweigh that problem.

Gatecrasher's comments:In the case of two teams, unless carefully coordinated from above (which is unlikely), you could get significant duplication of effort if suspects are reported to more than one team. Wouldn't the evidence gathered by one team be beneficial to the other? The idea just seems a little unweildly, inefficient and impractical.
    Like I said, it's a very simple database operation. Any game mod sends any evidence regarding a certain user to the central database and this database automatically forwards it to the particular team that this user is assigned to. A few SQL lines are all that takes. No duplication of effort involved.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:441 edit
    From the announcements thread.

[b]2 teams is a bad idea, the team needs to know what everyone is doing.

Not necessarily. Each team could work independently, with a central database containing all evidence. It's a very simple database operation to assign individual users to a particular team and then automatically forwarding all evidence regarding thi user is assigned to. A few SQL lines are all that takes. No duplication of effort involved.[/b]
    The reason you want two teams is in the case of a mod gone wrong...

If this happens again, I hope Russ would just open a separate case and forum for the remaining mods to evaluate the allegation.

There is no need for 2 teams, but there is a need for Russ to treat it different if a game mod becomes a strong suspect.

Rather than 2 teams, evaluate the suspect in private. Now there is no need for a trade-off of 2 uneven teams.

Or is there some other reason for users wanting 2 teams?

P-
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:47
    The reason you want two teams is in the case of a mod gone wrong...

If this happens again, I hope Russ would just open a separate case and forum for the remaining mods to evaluate the allegation.

There is no need for 2 teams, but there is a need for Russ to treat it different if a game mod becomes a strong suspect.

Rather than 2 teams, evaluate the suspect. Now there is no need for a trade-off.

P-
    Come on, I gave two reasons:
    - Avoid such possible conflicts and treat Game mods in the exact same way that everybody else;
    - More people working on this means more cases being investigated, means more cheaters getting caught.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:512 edits
    Come on, I gave two reasons:
    - Avoid such possible conflicts and treat Game mods in the exact same way that everybody else;
    - More people working on this means more cases being investigated, means more cheaters getting caught.
    I still think one large team is better than 2 small teams... I hope Russ plans 5 to 8 members.

The last time around, all of us game mods were evaluated with the same tools. Later, Cludi's numbers rose into the red zone as evaluated by Tebb.. and Gate ran more numbers that also were in the red zone. Cludi ran his numbers and they came out lower.

That could have been handled in private, and Russ probably knows that now.

P-
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:57
    Also, as a note...

Chris (admin) has access and an understanding of the tools. He could evaluate a concern and decide if a game mod job needs to be run on an existing game mod.

All the mods working together far outweighs the desire for 2 teams... as long as Russ is willing to treat this different than last time. I can't see Gate and Tebb not working together, and their experience dictates they would each need to be on separate teams.

P-
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 15:18
    I still think one large team is better than 2 small teams... I hope Russ plans 5 to 8 members.
    Agreed.

3 really can't achieve that much considering the amount of donkey work that needs to be done. Also, I think admin need to be more proactive once the evidence has been presented to them. Their response at times is much too slow.

D
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 15:24

Well as six are running away with the votes, then maybe we should have a team of six mods.

Lets say each mod can give even 1 hour per day that is only 21 hours per week with three mods.

Surely better to double up the mods and give more time and spread the workload?

After all these guys are giving up their free time, to ensure the site runs as "cheat free" as possible, so shouldn't we make it as painfree as possible for them?
  11. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 13:54
    yes i agree 6 mods would be fine and then if a smaller player thinks a player is iffy put it to the rest of the mods and see if they get same results 🙂 there are 4 or 5 that are well ahead so i cant see it being long before the team is in place.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 14:45
    Originally posted by Smiffy
    yes i agree 6 mods would be fine and then if a smaller player thinks a player is iffy put it to the rest of the mods and see if they get same results 🙂 there are 4 or 5 that are well ahead so i cant see it being long before the team is in place.
    Another plus is that Admin Chris is always a member of the team, so it is selected team plus one.

P-
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 14:48
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Well as six are running away with the votes, then maybe we should have a team of six mods.

Lets say each mod can give even 1 hour per day that is only 21 hours per week with three mods.

Surely better to double up the mods and give more time and spread the workload?

After all these guys are giving up their free time, to ensure the site runs as "cheat free" as possible, so shouldn't we make it as painfree as possible for them?
    Seems like 5 are running away with the votes, then there's a big gap to 6 and 7, and then another big gap to 8...

Of course, I'm just going by the votes...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree