1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 22:293 edits
    After all recent discussions about cheaters and ineffective system to detect them, after all dubious opponents and all cheating paranoia in the air do you trust to anyone on this site anymore ? What is your criteria of determining which player is genuine ?

My graph sure doesn't help me, I received some PMs with engine semi-accusations (formuled more like questions "ya using engine ?" etc.) There is more and more suspicious players, well, I am one of them too.
    Somehow I more believe to people active in forums, well known names but that is just my brain playing tricks ; everyone can be potential blatant cheaters, having well known username doesn't stop them.

Does it have any sense to believe to anyone rated above 1800 ?
  2. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 22:39
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    After all recent discussions about cheaters and ineffective system to detect them, after all dubious opponents and all cheating paranoia in the air do you trust to anyone on this site anymore ? What is your criteria of determining which player is genuine ?

My graph sure doesn't help me, I received some PMs with engine semi-accusations (formuled more lik ...[text shortened]... sername doesn't stop them.

Does it have any sense to believe to anyone rated above 1800 ?
    Depends on what your definition of genuine is. To some engine use is a badge of honor, databases, opening books, etc.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 22:51
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Depends on what your definition of genuine is. To some engine use is a badge of honor, databases, opening books, etc.
    to some confusion of clear distinctions in the rules is a badge of honor

Ivan, yes your graph raises suspicions. But your larger question about trust affects many players. As one that has played on at least a dozen sites similar to this one, and played by postcard before these sites existed. I have also played, and play, by email. Cheating is always a possibility. However, if someone at my level is cheating, he or she is doing it badly.
  4. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 23:08
    Oh, who cares? That's one not-nice change from when I was here before -- the new fights about cheating. Who do cheaters hurt, other than themselves?
  5. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 23:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    to some confusion of clear distinctions in the rules is a badge of honor
    engine use is clearly not allowed here, the confusion is on your end. 🙄
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 23:30
    engine use is clearly not allowed here, the confusion is on your end. 🙄
    databases and opening books clearly are

the confusion is in your sentence
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 23:38
    Originally posted by paultopia
    Oh, who cares? That's one not-nice change from when I was here before -- the new fights about cheating. Who do cheaters hurt, other than themselves?
    They hurt those who get cheated out of wins in games, clan matches, tournaments, etc.
  8. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 00:06
    Oh, who cares? Who do cheaters hurt, other than themselves?
    Cheaters hurt the clan system. Sure your clan table position is just a number, but it represents the reality of maybe 20 people working together to achive something they can rightfully be proud of and cheaters can take some of that away from them.

Cheaters hurt the tournaments. Look at some open-rated tourneys. I want every player to know that they can go as far in the contest as their own abilities allow, if they are 700 or 2000, but cheaters prevent that. Cheaters have won tournaments here at RHP and that does hurt the member who played fairly and came in 2sd.

Cheaters hurt the individual. Yes, a rating is just a number, but it does represent your studies and efforts and it should be a fair representation and cheaters can affect that.

Cheaters hurt RHP. This web site exists in large part because of the $30 yearly subscription members pay. New people may not join and old members may leave if RHP is seen to have a cheating problem.

Back to the original thread question...Do you trust anyone here? Yes I do. I trust every member of my clan (Pooh), I trust everyone I start a game with, and I'll trust anyone here who will simply tell me, "I don't cheat".

Best,
    Steve
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 02:54
    I can tell you the players that have lost tournaments because of the cheater winning them would care very much. I am pretty certain the majority of us here, want to be playing another player, NOT AN ENGINE!
  10. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 04:38
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    databases and opening books clearly are

the confusion is in your sentence
    Please forgive my confusion, are you saying that using databases and opening books during a game is allowed?
  11. Standard memberyosiman
    Genius
    playing chess
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 04:43
    Originally posted by JerryH
    Please forgive my confusion, are you saying that using databases and opening books during a game is allowed?
    Yep.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 04:46
    Originally posted by JerryH
    Yep. Almost everything posted in the forums by eldragonfly is wrong, misleading, or simply trolling. He catches me with his crappy bait from time to time, as in this thread.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 05:05
    Does it have any sense to believe to anyone rated above 1800 ?[/b]
    wow, from 1054 to 1727 😀
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 07:12
    Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Not this again!
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 07:16
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    My graph sure doesn't help me
    I surely don't want to play an opponent worth 1750+ but having less than 1100 in rating. If I win, I get one lousy point, if I lose (and the odds favours that it might happen( I lose 30 points. Bad business any way.

But even when you have 1800 and we start a game, who knows where your rating is when we end the game? Your rating history says that I don't want to play with you.

I know, rating is not everything, but for me it is a measurement how good I am. If I not feel like I am not worth the current rating, I do my correction in my head.

Why do you have such a roller coaster rating history, Ivan?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree