1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 05:47
    Well...yeah...1.d4 is awesome, particularly when black plays 1...d5 and I consult Ward's PTQG lines and play those. Unfortunately, a lot of you bastards like to play 1...Nf6 and make me a little bit miserable - because I don't have deeply prepared lines to play against you.

Anyhow, I need some help with lines to play against 1...Nf6 - and I would like to play 2.c4. Here's what I have so far:

1...Nf6 2.c4

2...e6: I like 3.g3 against this, I feel like it annoys black, and I just kind of like the lines for some reason - it doesn't seem like it would fit my style at all, but I like it.

2...c5: I've been playing 7.f4 (I guess the Mikenas Attack?) Against the Modern Benoni - and I like that, but the Benko gambit has been a real pain in the ass. I know I don't want to fully accept, but I just can't find a line to play against it that I've felt comfortable with.

KID: I'm not sure, I'm thinking either the Bayonet or 4 Pawns Attack would be good for me, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions - I've even tried the crazy looking 9.Kh1!? which is kinda cool and fun, I might stick with that - only thing is, I don't entirely know the purpose or ideas behind it...I usually just follow up with 10.Rg1, but I'm really in the dark with those lines.

Grunfeld: I've got no idea...I played the white side of a particularly theoretical game against !~Tony~! which didn't turn out to well - but that was because of a midgame blunder. I really need help on this one...

Anyhow, I've typed a lot of stuff - so you guys better offer advice. I generally like very sharp lines, but I'm not particularly in the memorization mood right now. Tactical stuff generally offers a lot of fun for me, but I seem to enjoy quiet stuff right now...and I have no idea why.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 05:53
    what i do with my queens pawns openings is if they do 1...Nf6 ill just switch to the colle system, or it could go to a delayed QG still with the 2.Nf3...
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 05:55
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    what i do with my queens pawns openings is if they do 1...Nf6 ill just switch to the colle system, or it could go to a delayed QG still with the 2.Nf3...
    if you play 2.Nf3 they can still go KID and thats what he is saying he has a problem with...the KID.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 05:55
    I've considered 2.Nf3, but I'm skeptical.

And I refuse to play Colle - or systems in general..sorry. 🙁
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 05:591 edit
    you could try the Richter-Verasov attack...2.Nc3 d5 3.Bg5..they could play the old benoni on you but if I don't think you should have trouble against that. You could also try the Trompovsky attack with 2.Bg5
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:01
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    you could try the Richter-Verasov attack...2.Nc3 d5 3.Bg5..they could play the old benoni on you but if I don't think you should have trouble against that. You could also try the Trompovsky attack with 2.Bg5
    Nah, I'm really quite set on playing 2.c4 - it's just specific variations.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:05
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Nah, I'm really quite set on playing 2.c4 - it's just specific variations.
    hmmm...2.c4 gives black so many options...but all you want to know about is the Grunfeld and the KID right? You have no trouble against the Benoni?
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:06
    hmmm...2.c4 gives black so many options...but all you want to know about is the Grunfeld and the KID right? You have no trouble against the Benoni?
    Grunfeld, KID, and Benko Gambit - that's it.
  9. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:11
    i agree, you can get overwhelmed with these possibilites...

have you seen some of the modern colle games? i know the "s" word is scaring you off, but it makes some awsome attacks from a safer setup..
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:12
    i agree, you can get overwhelmed with these possibilites...

have you seen some of the modern colle games? i know the "s" word is scaring you off, but it makes some awsome attacks from a safer setup..
    Sorry guys, I like 2.c4. 🙂
  11. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:14
    ok boss 😛

if you ever want to practice and specific line that may come up in 2.c4 in- benoni,nimzo,or queens indian just write me 🙂
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:15
    I usually start 1. c4, but transpose into d4 lines after Nf6 by playing 2. d4. Nf6 often gives each side strong play in a particular area of the board. For example, the KID gives Black more strength on the kingside but White more on the queenside. Thus, I enjoy playing against Nf6 (usually main lines with a sideline on later moves) and would probably like it more than a Slav or QGD which tends to lead to well-balanced play. What I mean by this is that in the Slav and QGD, it sometimes seems difficult for White or Black to do much because each side blocks the other from achieving anything substantial. In the Nf6 systems, rather than blocking, each builds up good chances on a particular side of the board. Of course, this is very general and there are countless exceptions and my statement is only one of degree compared to Nf6.

I think you just need to get more experience. 😉

BTW: I have Ward's book too and generally like it. Unfortunately, I've never had a chance to use his Semi-Slav recommendation with g4. Have you tried it and if so, how do you like it?
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:16
    Well with 2.c4 you will most often face the KID I am betting. hold on I think I can find an instructive game somewheres.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:20
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I usually start 1. c4, but transpose into d4 lines after Nf6 by playing 2. d4. Nf6 often gives each side strong play in a particular area of the board. For example, the KID gives Black more strength on the kingside but White more on the queenside. Thus, I enjoy playing against Nf6 (usually main lines with a sideline on later moves) and would probably like ...[text shortened]... to use his Semi-Slav recommendation with g4. Have you tried it and if so, how do you like it?
    I've definitely played g4, I'm not sure if the line has ever been exactly the same as he gave, unfortunately. It's very difficult to get black to be so agreeable! Of course, if my rating were higher I'm sure I'd have a number of games with it. However, like I said, I've used a g4 gambit in the Semi-Slav before, in slightly different positions - it's still been very effective, and I enjoy it a lot. Even if the lines aren't the same, the ideas are - and that gives me a nice edge.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 06:24
    Grunfeld, KID, and Benko Gambit - that's it.
    Grunfeld: I like the exchange with Bc4 or Rb1.
    KID: Bayonet (Although, I've never tried anything else.)
    Benko: Accept but play b6 on a6.

So what do you play against the Nimzo or Modern Benoni?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree