1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 23:15
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I'm talking about facing it... have yet to find a reply i'm comfortable with. Going to try f5.
    ok, go the Nimzo or the Queens Indian, the positions are quite rich and good, or the Budapest Gambit or the Albin counter gambit. f5 is suicide unless your willing to play b6 and Bb7.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 01:12
    😕
    KID is my mainline weapon against 1.d4. It may be a bit cramped, but it's served me pretty well. 😕
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 04:23
    Originally posted by UnderPromote
    What have you tried against it so far? I'm currently using the Grunfeld, which I'm actually beginning to really enjoy. In the past I found the Benko Gambit to be quite solid, although I never could manage to get too much of an edge, perhaps I just didn't understand the resulting postions well enough. I also tried the KID for a while but found little success with it unfortunately.
    So far i've tried putting my head in the sand hoping when i come up for air my opponent will have changed its first move. So far i have a lot of sand in my ears and every little time on my timebank but no luck with the main objective.

It has been so long since i faced it i really can't remember what i used to play... finally decided to go with Nf6.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 04:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok, go the Nimzo or the Queens Indian, the positions are quite rich and good, or the Budapest Gambit or the Albin counter gambit. f5 is suicide unless your willing to play b6 and Bb7.
    Yeah i figured f5 was doggy... will try it against the next opponent i have a few 100 points lower than me though, just to see.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 04:27
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    KID is my mainline weapon against 1.d4. It may be a bit cramped, but it's served me pretty well. 😕
    I prefer open games...
  6. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 04:321 edit
    I agree with your assessment of the Nimzo and Queens indian. These two make a solid repertoire against queens pawn games. However, I don't think your disregard of f5 is warranted. The dutch is a very good reply - its actually a rather pointed reply to whites weaknesses very early.

The Nimzo is very well documented and you'll find some great games on this site by top Player Table players. The Queens Indian is one I have yet to come across in my perusals here. I highly recommend the 4...Ba6 variant. Whites defense of c4 with a piece is typical - and the most probable candidates weaken d4. With this the pawn push c5 becomes more pointed. When 5. b3 is played white weakens his dark squares and there are of course a few opening tricks to snatch up material after the 5...Bb4+ reply.

Q
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 11:381 edit
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    I agree with your assessment of the Nimzo and Queens indian. These two make a solid repertoire against queens pawn games. However, I don't think your disregard of f5 is warranted. The dutch is a very good reply - its actually a rather pointed reply to whites weaknesses very early.

The Nimzo is very well documented and you'll find some great games on thi ...[text shortened]... there are of course a few opening tricks to snatch up material after the 5...Bb4+ reply.

Q
    yes its all good stuff, i just think there are other ways of controlling e4 rather than the
    very committal f5.
  8. Jerusalem
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 20:14
    I prefer open games...
    So just play 2.d4!
    I did it 30 secons ago .😛
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 21:03
    Originally posted by elady
    So just play 2.d4!
    I did it 30 secons ago .😛
    And... what do you play after 2.c4?
  10. Jerusalem
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 21:12
    I meant 1e4 e5 2.d4!?
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 02:46
    Originally posted by elady
    I meant 1e4 e5 2.d4!?
    😞
  12. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 03:06
    If you can get comfortable with it... 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 isn't a bad way to sneak up on an open game. Still it has a way of closing the doors on you if thats what white desires. If you really like your open games, and as silman says "X-RATED" "ADULT" openings, then the Albin Counter-gambit may be for you.

(I'm taking a swing at the PGN thing...fingers crossed!)

I highly recommend you check out silman's writing regarding this opening.

Q
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 08:04
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    If you can get comfortable with it... 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 isn't a bad way to sneak up on an open game. Still it has a way of closing the doors on you if thats what white desires. If you really like your open games, and as silman says "X-RATED" "ADULT" openings, then the Albin Counter-gambit may be for you.

(I'm taking a swing at the PGN thing...fingers c ...[text shortened]... [/pgn]

I highly recommend you check out silman's writing regarding this opening.

Q
    yes and check out the games of Morozevich.
  14. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 08:18
    yes and check out the games of Morozevich.
    Yes indeed! I remember a Morozevich game where he delayed castling for a very long time. I wish my memory would serve me a bit better. If I could remember the game - I believe it would have particular value to a CC player for some of its finer handling. Perhaps someone else might remember this match?

Q
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 23:121 edit
    I'm talking about facing it... have yet to find a reply i'm comfortable with. Going to try f5.
    In response to 1.d4, I always reply 1. . . d5 and do the slav or semi-slav against the QG, and enjoy it with good chances of equality. In the slav/semi-slav, I often do an early dxc4 (it has a QGA feel) sometimes even keep the gambit pawn, which I like to do. If white does an early e3, I gain tempo with pawn to b5 after white Bxc4. Of course, there are alot variations including more static versions I enjoy. Some I may eventually do the pawn push from c6 to c5, to give my B on b7 scope.

Even better is when white doesn't even do the QG, but does some generic queen pawn opening -- Colle, London, etc. As black, I just develop comfortably with easy equality. Sometimes exceed equality when I do an early c5, for example.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree