Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    16 Dec '13 05:39
    I've been seeing this a lot lately when I play Black. Anybody know if this has a name?
  2. Standard member lemon lime
    go phish
    16 Dec '13 06:29
    Originally posted by sundown316
    I've been seeing this a lot lately when I play Black. Anybody know if this has a name?
    I don't think there is a name for it other than calling it a kings pawn opening. Maybe it's to allow white to quickly castle queenside and attack blacks kingside with the black square bishop. Other than that I don't see what puropse it serves... it appears to be a weak opening move.
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Dec '13 11:46
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I don't think there is a name for it other than calling it a kings pawn opening. Maybe it's to allow white to quickly castle queenside and attack blacks kingside with the black square bishop. Other than that I don't see what puropse it serves... it appears to be a weak opening move.
    Could be a relative of Larsen's opening, 1 b3.
  4. 16 Dec '13 12:36
    The Bednikova Opening, according to one site (https://sites.google.com/site/chesslines/forblack/1_e4/1_e5/2_b3). Presumably after Stefi Bednikova, who has played it at least once.

    Lots of quick losses for White in Bill Wall's "Chess Traps and Miniatures" collection:
    http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/lab/7378/traps.htm
  5. 16 Dec '13 13:57 / 2 edits
    You asked the same question back in October.
    How many times are you meeting this opening?
    Who is playing it? Let me know, I want to post another brilliancy.

    Thread 156169
  6. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    16 Dec '13 18:38
    I will have to look thru my games,but I've met it at least 6 times and I think my record is +5-1=0 so far.
  7. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    16 Dec '13 19:59
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    You asked the same question back in October.
    How many times are you meeting this opening?
    Who is playing it? Let me know, I want to post another brilliancy.

    Thread 156169
    Sometimes I party way too much and post the same thing twice.
  8. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    16 Dec '13 19:59
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    You asked the same question back in October.
    How many times are you meeting this opening?
    Who is playing it? Let me know, I want to post another brilliancy.

    Thread 156169
    Sometimes I party way too much and post the same thing twice.
  9. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    16 Dec '13 20:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Sometimes I party way too much and post the same thing twice.
    Sometimes I party too much and think I'm seeing the same post double.