1. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 04:14
    I just find it hard to believe Fischer, and I mean in his prime, is not top 1 or 2 on anyone's list.
  2. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 04:233 edits
    Originally posted by dirtysniper
    I just find it hard to believe Fischer, and I mean in his prime, is not top 1 or 2 on anyone's list.
    I never thought Spassky was that good. (Compared to the Chess Gods)
    I mean come on? How many of us have ever said Spassky was on the "top ten" list?

I have never even met anyone who said Spassky was there favorite chess master.
    Also Fischer ran away when he heard Karpov was slaying the Lions and Dragons and eating there hearts.

Fischer played great chess, BUT SO DID MANY.
  3. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 04:25
    I notice a lot of North Americans say Fischer was the greatest...Biased?
    As soon as the U.S.A produces the next world champ you won't hear the Fischer name anymore.
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 06:25
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "Yakov Estrin (you missed him) is another CC world champion and
    another who was likely better than Berliner. "

Have you read [b]64 Great Chess Games
    by Harding. My mate Yakov does not
    come out of that too well. Bit of controversy about his world title.
    (see game Estrin v Morgado)

Hardin and others voted Estrin v Berliner 1965 as the greates ...[text shortened]... the 1400 database. 😉

Best chess player ever. Kasparov/Fischer cannot split them.[/b]
    That is why Estrin is on my list. He makes you think. I always got the impression some of his dodgy lines were deliberate. He knew the opposition was likely to read his stuff so he put in little traps to catch the unwary. Can't do that today of course, the engines would spot them a mile off.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 06:481 edit
    Originally posted by chesstora
    At several points in his life; Bobby Fischer was asked who are the best 10 chess players. I now pose that question to members of RHP. If I may opine first; my list isn't in any type of order just 10 players who I think are great.

Karpov
    Kasparov
    Fischer
    Petrosian
    Korchnoi
    Tal
    Kramnik
    Aronian
    Anand
    Carlson

You may now opine my dear chess friends.
    1. Kasparov
    2. Karpov
    3. Reti
    4. Botvinnik
    5. Capablanca
    6. Lasker
    7. Korchnoi
    8. Spassky
    9. Smyslov
    10. Petrosian
    😀

http://jaced.com/2005/06/10/all-time-chess-rankings/
  6. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 09:10
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    What Estrin book are you waiting on?
    The world champions teach chess

But I'm not waiting on it,it's waiting on me.
    It sits there on the shelf ,yelling and whining "why are you readig that garbage?Read me instead!READ ME!"

All day long!But after a while you don't hear it no more.

Guess have to come up with a list too.Impossible task but here goes:

-all world champions up to Kasparov and including the unofficials
    then add
    -Tarrasch
    -Rubinstein
    -Pillsbury
    -Keres
    -Najdorf
    -Réti
    -Nezhmetdinov
    -Korchnoi
    -Junge

the list would differ from day to day

toet.
  7. Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 10:00
    In alphabetical order:

Alekhine
    Botvinnik
    Capablanca
    Fine
    Fischer
    Karpov
    Kasparov
    Kramnik
    Smyslov
    Tal
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 11:27
    Originally posted by wormwood
    karpov's technique was second to none, the only reason why kasparov had the slightest edge was his more dynamic (more modern) style. both were a head above all the rest, and the only player to even touch their level will be carlsen (in a couple of years from now).

is smyslov the most underrated great ever? only one mention that I can see.
    I agree about Karpov's technique. but if you are talking about match play, Kramnik in 2000 was the highest level of play we have seen.

Carlsen is destroying the field in tournaments, but we will have to see how he stands up in match play vs either Anand or Kramnik.
  9. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 17:18
    When it comes to being under rated it has to be Petrosian. As great as he was he never got the credit that he was due. That is why he is in my top 10.
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 19:25
    How can you start the list by having Karpov above Kasparov. He lost in 5 world Championship battles to kasparov. The rest of the list can be dicsarded on this basis!!
  11. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 19:42
    You don't have to put the players in order from 1 - 10; just who do you think are the best 10 players. The order of the players isn't important; it is your opinion that is important.
  12. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 20:011 edit
    karpov's technique was second to none, the only reason why kasparov had the slightest edge was his more dynamic (more modern) style. both were a head above all the rest, and the only player to even touch their level will be carlsen (in a couple of years from now).

Smyslov is absolutely amazing. I can't describe it. He was just extreme in every aspect of the game. His over-perfectionism, laser-like preciseness and dazzling combos will always be remembered. Plus he proved his longevity like almost no other, he was what, like 2500 in his 80s! You're damn right he's underrated. There will always be a place for him in my top 10!
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 23:02

From my mind to your keyboard!

Paul
  14. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 23:16
    Yes,for some strange reason Smyslov is always overlooked.Although he made it 4 times into this thread.Quite good actually.

If you combine his 3 match scores for the crown versus botvinnik,Smyslov wins by 18 to 17.

Never met him but felt sad the day I heard he passed away.A fan with the skills should write a fitting eulogy.

toet.
  15. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    28 Jul '10 00:49
    I'll have to agree with the post about Smyslov (R.I.P oh great one). He proved himself by how long he continued to play (and win games!). But my questions goes to the post about Spassky. If he wasn't "that good of a player"; how could he claw his way to the top? He faced off with some of the all time greats.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree