1. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '16 18:38
    The United States team is seeded second behind Russia and boasts three world top ten players in Hikaru Nakamura, Fabiano Caruana, and Wesley So. Also Sam Shankland and Ray Robson.

Can't wait!
  2. e4
    Moves
    27 Aug '16 12:43
    Yes. The proper Olympics. Not a bunch of junkies running around in their underwear.

Russia are fielding Kramnik, Karjakin, Grischuk, Tomashevsky and Nepomniachtchi

Scotland:: Greet, Shaw, McNab, Gorlay and Berry (team captain is Andrew Burnett)

England: Charlton (R) , Moore, Stiles, Banks and Hurst.

Go to here:

http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53

Click on the flag and you get the teams.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 04:002 edits
    My friend Jim McTigue (ocean64 on the site here) is playing for the US Virgin Islands team.

He last played for them back in 1990 at Novi Said, and he is worried (like all of us) that Father Time has been a double-edged chess coach!

We are both regulars at the Clermont Chess Club in Clermont, Florida. Ray Robson also visited our club a few times when he was younger (and MUCH smaller), so we have a couple chips in the game.

As a side note, we have a new member named Theo Slade who has recently joined us from Cornwall- I think he writes a column for the BCM.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 04:07
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Yes. The proper Olympics. Not a bunch of junkies running around in their underwear.

Scotland:: Greet, Shaw, McNab, Gorlay and Berry (team captain is Andrew Burnett)

Go to here:

I have to say that I have a soft spot for the Scottish team, in part because several of them have written books which I enjoyed very much.
  5. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 06:48
    It's too bad that the Armenian players don't feel sufficiently safe to attend. It's a big loss not to have them compete.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 13:20
    It seems that Serbian men won' participate?! Perhaps due financial difficulties.
    Women, however, are in the midst of their preparations--->>>
    http://www.serbiachess.net/2016/pripreme_olimpijada2016/pripreme_olimpijada_2016.htm
    They swim, play ping-pong, blitz games and attend lectures in front of ancient magnetic chess board like in 1980's, no computers no data bases...
    Retro preparations!
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '16
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 16:35
    Could India or China pull it off?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 16:43
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Go to here:

So why can't chess players compete in THEIR underwear? Maybe be seen doing warm up exercises? 'Ah, there is Kosteniuk doing her warm up now, quite a sight, she favors sprinting followed by yoga exercises' Anderson 360 going to another player now.
  9. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 10:34
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    My friend Jim McTigue (ocean64 on the site here) is playing for the US Virgin Islands team.

He last played for them back in 1990 at Novi Said, and he is worried (like all of us) that Father Time has been a double-edged chess coach!
    He had a difficult first round against a higher rated player who squeezed on the dark square weaknesses that make 11. Bxf4 look like a losing move?!

10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 18:59
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    He had a difficult first round against a higher rated player who squeezed on the dark square weaknesses that make 11. Bxf4 look like a losing move?!

[pgn]
    [Event "Baku Chess Olympiad | Open"]
    [Site "chess24.com"]
    [Date "2016.09.02"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "Mctigue, James"]
    [Black "Ali, Muhammad Lutfi"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [Board "1"]
    [WhiteID "6800068"]
    ...[text shortened]... {[%clk 0:01:58]} Bd4 {[%clk 0:36:51]} 36. Kh2 {[%clk 0:02:10]} Bb5 {[%clk
    0:36:48]} 0-1 [/pgn]
    I am posting the games on our club's Facebook page as they are made available.

https://www.facebook.com/ClermontChessClubClermontFlorida

As an aside, the kid in the picture with the backwards red baseball cap is future GM Ray Robson. The other kid is future US NM Toby Boas, and I am the headless dude with the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt.
  11. e4
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 22:563 edits
    Good Luck Jim,

I missed this, damn could have blogged it.

See if we can get Russ to do a block email and tell everyone.

You sure it's OK to name him, his Bio is blank and he has
    not moved on here for a while.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 13:54
    Yeah, he's OK. The RHP games were wearing him out so he took a break.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 15:14

[pgn]
    [Event "Baku Chess Olympiad | Open"]
    [Site "chess24.com"]
    [Date "2016.09.02"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "Mctigue, James"]
    [Black "Ali, Muhammad Lutfi"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [Board "1"]
    [WhiteID "6800068"]
    ...[text shortened]... {[%clk 0:01:58]} Bd4 {[%clk 0:36:51]} 36. Kh2 {[%clk 0:02:10]} Bb5 {[%clk
    0:36:48]} 0-1 [/pgn]
    What was wrong with 30 c5?
  14. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 04:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What was wrong with 30 c5?
    You are probably best going to Paul's Facebook blog to see the game finish. c5 was played but my pgn had a bug and didn't put in the last 6 or 7 moves. Black relocated the B to f6 looking at d4 and after the Queens came off the two Bishops were overwhelming. There is a nasty mate threat in the final position.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 07:18
    You are probably best going to Paul's Facebook blog to see the game finish. c5 was played but my pgn had a bug and didn't put in the last 6 or 7 moves. Black relocated the B to f6 looking at d4 and after the Queens came off the two Bishops were overwhelming. There is a nasty mate threat in the final position.
    Ah, thanks. I thought that was the end of the game and he resigned right there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree