Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 14 Jan '07 02:01
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play


    Does software include something to analyze the board without using an engine to check moves such as Jose or BabasChess? Is there a way to turn on error checking in the built in analysis board on RHP?
  2. 14 Jan '07 02:13
    Originally posted by deeploser
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play


    Does software include something to analyze the board without using an engine to check moves such as Jose or BabasChess? Is there a way to turn on error checking in the built in analysis board on RHP?
    As long as an engine or another person isn't helping you you should be fine.

    i.e. Winboard is ok.
  3. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    14 Jan '07 02:15
    Originally posted by deeploser
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play


    Does software include something to analyze the board without using an engine to check moves such as Jose or BabasChess? Is there a way to turn on error checking in the built in analysis board on RHP?
    Error checking?
  4. 14 Jan '07 02:20 / 1 edit
    Like moving a piece that was pined to the king. The analysis board will let you move it but if it checked for errors it wouldn't. The board won't let you but if you had this 8 move calculation that required a queen sac then moving that pinned piece and didn't notice, it would kind of suck heh.
  5. 14 Jan '07 02:44
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Like moving a piece that was pined to the king. The analysis board will let you move it but if it checked for errors it wouldn't. The board won't let you but if you had this 8 move calculation that required a queen sac then moving that pinned piece and didn't notice, it would kind of suck heh.
    I see what you're saying. No, the analysis board on RHP is pretty useless. Lets you do pretty much anything you want. I don't know about the other programs you mention but CB Light won't let you make an illegal move when working out lines. I'm old though. I still use a physical chessboard.
  6. 14 Jan '07 02:48
    I have kids and one of them would love it if I'd break out the board to analyze a line just so he could steal my pieces.
  7. 14 Jan '07 02:49
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Like moving a piece that was pined to the king. The analysis board will let you move it but if it checked for errors it wouldn't. The board won't let you but if you had this 8 move calculation that required a queen sac then moving that pinned piece and didn't notice, it would kind of suck heh.
    Hm, I forgot it did that - I only use the RHP board which lets you move anything - which can be a hassle if you accidentally take your own piece. I'm not sure the whole "error checking" bit is allowed though, seems an advantage to you that your opponent might not have.
  8. Standard member thesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    14 Jan '07 03:24
    Originally posted by deeploser
    I have kids and one of them would love it if I'd break out the board to analyze a line just so he could steal my pieces.
    I game my daughter her own set of triple weighted pieces and then bought a second identical set for myself. At 3 years of age she knows all the names of the pieces and knows sort-of how to set them up on the board. I have not encouraged this behavior--she loves to play with them. Look out Polgars!

    Oh yeah, my point: whip out the set and let the kids play.
  9. 14 Jan '07 03:26
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    I game my daughter her own set of triple weighted pieces and then bought a second identical set for myself. At 3 years of age she knows all the names of the pieces and knows sort-of how to set them up on the board. I have not encouraged this behavior--she loves to play with them. Look out Polgars!

    Oh yeah, my point: whip out the set and let the kids play.
    MAKE THEM PLAY! Make them play until their little hands bleed.

    Just kidding, seriously don't do that.
  10. 14 Jan '07 03:30
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    I see what you're saying. No, the analysis board on RHP is pretty useless. Lets you do pretty much anything you want. I don't know about the other programs you mention but CB Light won't let you make an illegal move when working out lines. I'm old though. I still use a physical chessboard.
    You confused me with that. You call the analysis board useless, but then you say that you use a physical chessboard? What's the difference? The analyze board is just a computer display or a regular chessboard. Is a physical board useless then?

    Adding error checking would be the equivalent of getting aid in your chess game. A physical board doesn't evaluate which moves are legal or not. If you evaluate incorrectly, then that is your own mistake.
  11. 14 Jan '07 03:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    You confused me with that. You call the analysis board useless, but then you say that you use a physical chessboard? What's the difference? The analyze board is just a computer display or a regular chessboard. Is a physical board useless then?

    Adding error checking would be the equivalent of getting aid in your chess game. A physical board doesn't e ...[text shortened]... ate which moves are legal or not. If you evaluate incorrectly, then that is your own mistake.
    Sorry, meant useless for what he is asking. It has been my understanding that using a program such as CB Light to work out lines in a game in progress was perfectly legit. Am I mistaken?

    --Edit Sorry, didn't fully read "3B". Seems a little vague. What does "assist" mean? Without an engine? Can you even use CB Light and the others to record moves/analysis?
  12. 14 Jan '07 03:38
    The seven year old plays. I play him OTB and on chess software. The 2 year old will say check when we are playing OTB but the little guy will run away with as many pieces as he can. We save most of our games and write the OTB games down in a notebook.
  13. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    14 Jan '07 04:28
    Originally posted by tmetzler

    Adding error checking would be the equivalent of getting aid in your chess game. A physical board doesn't evaluate which moves are legal or not. If you evaluate incorrectly, then that is your own mistake.
    By this logic I am cheating if I use Chessbase. Or Chesspad. Or Winboard.
  14. 14 Jan '07 04:29
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    By this logic I am cheating if I use Chessbase. Or Chesspad. Or Winboard.
    I would agree that it's cheating - I mean, making it impossible to fall victim to absolute pins seems pretty convincing that it could be considered cheating.
  15. 14 Jan '07 09:06
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    By this logic I am cheating if I use Chessbase. Or Chesspad. Or Winboard.
    Now I'm really confused. Hasn't this been clarified before?