14 May '18 13:59
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    cute
    the kid really doesn't like to lose
    for a three year old
    the concept or appreciation of time is not there
    plus a lot of distractions
    I felt really bad for the little fellow
    But the second part was where he was given some chess puzzles which he figured out instantly. That is amazing in itself for ANYONE much less a 3 yo. Obviously not super hard ones but he solved them. Do you remember K asking what opening was going on and the kid answered 'Nimzo-Indian' and K was surprised he knew that.
    Of course he doesn't like to lose, he is only 3, so come back when he is 13 and see what he becomes in the world of chess.
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    14 May '18 16:14
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    But the second part was where he was given some chess puzzles which he figured out instantly. That is amazing in itself for ANYONE much less a 3 yo. Obviously not super hard ones but he solved them. Do you remember K asking what opening was going on and the kid answered 'Nimzo-Indian' and K was surprised he knew that.
    Of course he doesn't like to lose, he is only 3, so come back when he is 13 and see what he becomes in the world of chess.
    if and how they exploit him will be interesting to see
    they'll probably rob him of his childhood as they parade him
  5. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    16 May '18 09:437 edits
    Well our Joshua Waitzkin and Jeff Sarwer, they never were in the top 10 best fide masters. Usually USA 'chess prodigies' lost interest in chess before they got 20 years.

In the Waitzkin case, he just lost interest in the game, he was a great player but i think the stress and the mind warping GM chess does to you turned him off from playing professionally, also he grew up when bobby fischer starting turning kukoo and i think he wanted to avoid that.

If Josh felt this wasn't "fun" anymore, that's his privilege, a personal decision. But that doesn't mean he "coulda been a contender" at all. He didn't have the chops for it.

I am sad to see Mr. Waitzkin leaving the global chess-community. However, I do appreciate Mr. Waitzkin for choosing how to live his life.

It's not like every anti-chess decision would be bad, though I can see how things might seem that way.

I've all ready stated this many times, but I don't think he was lazy at all. I don't know crap about chess, but just by reading his book he wrote when he was 18 called "Attacking Chess" I could tell he wanted to get to the GM level so bad he would have sold his buns to the devil for it, and worked for it for the next several years, but was finally forced to admit he just didn't have the talent to reach the very top level.

Not being the next Bobby Fischer was a good choice and is a blessing. Look what happened to Fischer. Ask yourself, would you rather have Josh Waitzkin's life or Bobby Fischer's?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '18 02:21
    Originally posted by @schlecter
    Well our Joshua Waitzkin and Jeff Sarwer, they never were in the top 10 best fide masters. Usually USA 'chess prodigies' lost interest in chess before they got 20 years.

In the Waitzkin case, he just lost interest in the game, he was a great player but i think the stress and the mind warping GM chess does to you turned him off from playing professiona ...[text shortened]... appened to Fischer. Ask yourself, would you rather have Josh Waitzkin's life or Bobby Fischer's?
    Still, he reached over 2400 and was an IM, I could only WISH I played at that level.

Not all GM's were nutso though, like Mark Taimanov, he was a professional pianist also, imagine getting to be GM in chess and virtuoso on piano besides.
    Spassky I heard was a really nice guy too, not arrogant like Bobby.
    Magnus Carlsen seems like a regular guy too, fun loving type. Of course he can afford to be, now that chess has made him a multi-millionaire.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 May '18 11:55
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Still, he reached over 2400 and was an IM, I could only WISH I played at that level.

Not all GM's were nutso though, like Mark Taimanov, he was a professional pianist also, imagine getting to be GM in chess and virtuoso on piano besides.
    Spassky I heard was a really nice guy too, not arrogant like Bobby.
    Magnus Carlsen seems like a regular guy too, fun loving type. Of course he can afford to be, now that chess has made him a multi-millionaire.
    In contrast, Jose Raul Capablanca was a sparkling child prodigy.
    He went on to become a relatively well-adjusted adult. Nothing like the alcoholic Alekhine; reclusive and closeted Morphy or manic-depressive Fischer. (Just my opinion.)
  8. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    21 May '18 10:281 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    In contrast, Jose Raul Capablanca was a sparkling child prodigy.
    He went on to become a relatively well-adjusted adult. Nothing like the alcoholic Alekhine; reclusive and closeted Morphy or manic-depressive Fischer. (Just my opinion.)
    I mean dont expect that this new chess prodige is gonna be the next Magnus Carlsen. It seems the strees and media explotation are going to destroy this kid..

Now it seems Karpov was a little bit confused about all the incident, but he handle with dignity this situation.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '18 13:07
    I mean dont expect that this new chess prodige is gonna be the next Magnus Carlsen. It seems the strees and media explotation are going to destroy this kid..

Now it seems Karpov was a little bit confused about all the incident, but he handle with dignity this situation.
    The kid started crying when he lost, but he got distracted by the little pendant they gave him. So he is emotionally connected to the game. It will be interesting to see how far he goes in chess.
  10. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    21 May '18 14:50
    For sure, this little fellow is AMAZING, maybe we need to know more about modern chess prodigies. I remenber a very upset Carlsen when he lose against Karjakin, last championship. Usually GM are very sad when they lose. (even outside of chess, GMs would like to Win anything)

Hope the little fellow will be a Legend in a world of chess dominated by computers.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '18 16:07
    For sure, this little fellow is AMAZING, maybe we need to know more about modern chess prodigies. I remenber a very upset Carlsen when he lose against Karjakin, last championship. Usually GM are very sad when they lose. (even outside of chess, GMs would like to Win anything)

Hope the little fellow will be a Legend in a world of chess dominated by computers.
    They say Carlsen's IQ is 190, which I can believe but I wonder what this kid would clock in at.
  12. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 May '18 23:07
    I hope updates on his progress are posted

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree