Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 19 Apr '10 02:13
    Is the 50 move rule active here on this site?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule
  2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Apr '10 02:47
  3. 19 Apr '10 04:24
    Originally posted by wilful
    Is the 50 move rule active here on this site?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule
    Yes, it is.

    After 50 moves and no pawns are moved or no piece is taken, then you can claim a draw, not just offer a draw, and the draw is yours.
  4. 19 Apr '10 12:16
    Why doesnt castling restart the 50 moves?
  5. 19 Apr '10 12:30
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Why doesnt castling restart the 50 moves?
    Beats me. It should really.

    The thought must be that every move that makes it impossible to go back to an previous position should reset the count. Like pawn moves, take moves - and castling.
  6. 19 Apr '10 12:45
    I agree.

    Having said which, has anyone ever seen a game where it was an issue?
  7. 19 Apr '10 13:09
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Why doesnt castling restart the 50 moves?
    Castling is neither pawn move nor piece capture. I suppose there is an argument that it should reset the count as it is a non-repeatable move but the rule is written the way it is written.
  8. 19 Apr '10 13:14
    Whilst the rules are the rules are the rules, I sometimes think that the origin of why the rules are the rules is of interest - but not enough to research the point other than asking the better informed on this site?
  9. 19 Apr '10 13:17
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Whilst the rules are the rules are the rules, I sometimes think that the origin of why the rules are the rules is of interest - but not enough to research the point other than asking the better informed on this site?
    In this case I suspect a mistake when setting up the rules. Whoever decided on the 50 move rule (probably a committee of eminent dunderheads) just missed the castling issue.
  10. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Apr '10 16:04
    what are you guys babbling about? 50-move rule doesn't have anything to do with 'non-repeatable' moves. it's not the 50-move-repetition rule. it's not about repetition.

    the count resets on captures & pawn moves, nothing else. castling doesn't capture nor move pawns, hence it doesn't restart the count. end of story. no gray area there.
  11. 19 Apr '10 16:35
    We are clear on the rule and agree the area is not grey.

    Nevertheless, when the great and good sat down and decreed that a pawn move would reset the clock, why did they decide that was the case? 50 moves without any sort of capture may have been rare enough to decree a draw even without the reference to a pawn move. Did they consider castling for resetting the clock and reject it?

    The rule feels illogical by excluding castling.
  12. 19 Apr '10 16:36
    I sorta think folks actually disagree way waaaaaaay less than it might appear.

    Methinks a big part of the time its that one party knows not what the other party is referring too.

    This thread I think is such an example.

    It looks like folks are disagreeing but actually they are merely talking about different things

    Although not all parties necessarilly know that there is more than one thing being referred to.
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Apr '10 16:48
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    We are clear on the rule and agree the area is not grey.

    Nevertheless, when the great and good sat down and decreed that a pawn move would reset the clock, why did they decide that was the case? 50 moves without any sort of capture may have been rare enough to decree a draw even without the reference to a pawn move. Did they consider castling for resetting the clock and reject it?

    The rule feels illogical by excluding castling.
    it's perfectly logical if you just throw that unrelated notion of repetition out of the window.

    the rule was deviced to stop people from playing on indefinitely until their opponent resigns. 50-move rule is about giving an upper limit for stalling. castling in the endgame isn't really doing anything. 99 times out 100 it's inferior to simply centralizing the king. it's not making progress.
  14. 19 Apr '10 17:02
    See tada we don`t know what each other is talking about.

    P.S. anyone have any clue what I`m talking about?

    Do we all agree? We are bewildered?

    Hey what?

    Is it me that is bewildered.
  15. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Apr '10 17:07
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    Is it me that is bewildered.
    if you think castling should restart the 50-move count, then yes. if you understand why that would be illogical, then no. it's not a matter of opinion like many people here seem to think.