Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 19 Nov '14 00:59
    After the excitement of the 1 Millionth move race between zorro and marko krale, I think its worth looking forward to another achievement on RHP.

    caissad4 is probably going to hit 0.5M moves by the end of the month, with a 5 year average rating of about 1980!
    She is playing 850-900 games at a time!

    Currently at about 497900 moves

    Think about playing the 2nd round champs and then having 850 other games....


    I had a look in the top ranks for some other players who have maintained a high rating with high activity. Here are some:

    swiss toni (2261) on 130k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 2034
    aspasia (2252) on 210k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 2077
    sbacat (2166) on 218k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 1690
    jankrb (2106) on 205k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 2160
    redmike (2066) on 170k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 1960

    That's a lot of quality games
    Hats off to all of you
  2. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    22 Nov '14 03:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by delnz
    After the excitement of the 1 Millionth move race between zorro and marko krale, I think its worth looking forward to another achievement on RHP.

    caissad4 is probably going to hit 0.5M moves by the end of the month, with a 5 year average rating of about 1980!
    She is playing 850-900 games at a time!

    Currently at about 497900 moves

    Think about playing ...[text shortened]... (2066) on 170k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 1960

    That's a lot of quality games
    Hats off to all of you
    These folks are all good, but I think it is a mistake to refer to "quality games".

    On the site, you can pick and choose your opponents regardless of rating, and play or not play as you like.

    Using myself as an example (so no one else will feel accused), I have a reasonably large number of games completed, but a huge portion of those games are against lower rated players, where we were playing for a variety of different reasons.

    Many of them were not really a competitive challenge, and had the effect of padding my rating somewhat.

    In my mind, most of them were not quality games. Unfortunately for me, most of what I consider to be quality games are where I played stronger players, and I lost most of those!

    Bottom line, I don't think there is a real relationship between quality and quantity, without accounting for other factors.
  3. 22 Nov '14 19:08
    so you think it shows more of a high consistency at high game load. It would certainly have to be blunder free to beat even mid level players, who potentially have a lot more time to consider their moves.

    up to 499270 now

    i see jankrb won group 1 in the 2nd round champs
  4. 22 Nov '14 21:43
    Originally posted by delnz
    After the excitement of the 1 Millionth move race between zorro and marko krale, I think its worth looking forward to another achievement on RHP.

    caissad4 is probably going to hit 0.5M moves by the end of the month, with a 5 year average rating of about 1980!
    She is playing 850-900 games at a time!

    Currently at about 497900 moves

    Think about playing ...[text shortened]... (2066) on 170k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 1960

    That's a lot of quality games
    Hats off to all of you
    Some of those players made most of their moves before they learned to play well. Swiss toni started as a 1000 rated player, he slowly improved over the last 7 years. He doesn't move particularly fast anymore. Sbacat was your average 1400 rated player for the first 2 years on the site. Jankrb was a 1500 rated player for his first 6 months on here.

    It is really good to see people improve. Swiss toni's 1000 rating to 2200 in 7 years is very impressive.
  5. 22 Nov '14 22:44
    Thanks, KnightStalker47.

    When I joined this site in 2007, I knew the basics, and thats about it. I was introduced to the site by Shaka Igloo.

    I now mainly play OTB in NY. I have been active in club play for the past 3 years and receive lessons twice a week. I'm still active on the site but only have 12 active games, some are just one move every 3 weeks.

    My rating is certainly inflated. I rarely play anyone on the first 5 pages.
  6. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    22 Nov '14 23:25
    Originally posted by delnz
    so you think it shows more of a high consistency at high game load. It would certainly have to be blunder free to beat even mid level players, who potentially have a lot more time to consider their moves.

    up to 499270 now

    i see jankrb won group 1 in the 2nd round champs
    You certainly don't have to be blunder free to beat mid level players. Carlsen showed us that you don't even have to be blunder free to beat former World Champions!

    I also question the value of more time to consider moves beyond a certain point. Time is only one factor of the move making process, and there are diminishing marginal returns for all of us.

    At some point in time we arrive at what we think is the best move, and additional time won't change our assessment- but we may or may not be correct in our thinking.
  7. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    22 Nov '14 23:46
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    You certainly [b]don't have to be blunder free to beat mid level players. Carlsen showed us that you don't even have to be blunder free to beat former World Champions!

    I also question the value of more time to consider moves beyond a certain point. Time is only one factor of the move making process, and there are diminishing marginal returns for ...[text shortened]... d additional time won't change our assessment- but we may or may not be correct in our thinking.[/b]
    After a certain amount of time, I drift off into "dream variations' and other irrationals. Sometimes I'll drift back and lose the initial move of my chosen line only to discover I'd played the "point" move and not the kick off move.
  8. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    25 Nov '14 00:22
    Originally posted by delnz
    After the excitement of the 1 Millionth move race between zorro and marko krale, I think its worth looking forward to another achievement on RHP.

    caissad4 is probably going to hit 0.5M moves by the end of the month, with a 5 year average rating of about 1980!
    She is playing 850-900 games at a time!

    Currently at about 497900 moves

    Think about playing ...[text shortened]... (2066) on 170k+ moves @ 5yr avg of 1960

    That's a lot of quality games
    Hats off to all of you
    It is done. Thanks for your post !
    Angela
  9. 25 Nov '14 01:27
    Originally posted by Swiss Toni
    Thanks, KnightStalker47.

    When I joined this site in 2007, I knew the basics, and thats about it. I was introduced to the site by Shaka Igloo.

    I now mainly play OTB in NY. I have been active in club play for the past 3 years and receive lessons twice a week. I'm still active on the site but only have 12 active games, some are just one move every 3 weeks.

    My rating is certainly inflated. I rarely play anyone on the first 5 pages.
    Hi Swiss

    Pity we can't renew our OTB rivalry - I'm in NZ atm - sounds like the score would be different this time !
  10. Standard member Schlecter
    The King of Board
    25 Nov '14 01:59
    Congratulations

    1950 of rating with so many games.... wahooooo

    I just have 6 games and my brain implode....
  11. 25 Nov '14 02:47
    Originally posted by st40
    Hi Swiss

    Pity we can't renew our OTB rivalry - I'm in NZ atm - sounds like the score would be different this time !
    I'm sure I'd give you a better game now but whether I could win or not is another story.
    My record OTB against you is 0-5 and here it's 0-4.

    It was a pleasure to play you. A gentleman and a great player.
  12. Subscriber Aspasia
    Old Frog
    25 Nov '14 07:45
    Congrats to caissad4 for move 500.000!
    We already finished 53 games here on RHP - I remember that I could not win ONE of our first 40 games.
    Good luck for the next 500.000 moves!
  13. 08 Dec '14 15:28
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    [b]

    I also question the value of more time to consider moves beyond a certain point. Time is only one factor of the move making process, and there are diminishing marginal returns for all of us.
    Exactly correct....why give someone over a week to move when he/she has a totally lost game? It's unsportmanship to the max....the position on the board wont change a week or two later !
  14. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    08 Dec '14 18:19
    Originally posted by woadman
    Exactly correct....why give someone over a week to move when he/she has a totally lost game? It's unsportmanship to the max....the position on the board wont change a week or two later !
    No, but your recollection of the impending combination might. Your internet connectivity might change. Either one can lead to a loss.
    It's your opponent's right to play on as long as he has a legal move to make. He decides when and where to quit. If you don't like this arrangement you may as well quit chess, or resign those games yourself.

    You have all the "talk" of a chess player with none of the heart!!
  15. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Dec '14 18:32
    Originally posted by caissad4
    It is done. Thanks for your post !
    Angela
    They say you have 800+ games going at once. Is that true? If so, how long does it take to cycle through one move for each game? I think I would be tearing what hair I have left right out of my armpits