Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Mar '11 00:24
    A game ends with 6.b4a3# [can be a capture, or a non-capture]. What were the previous moves?
  2. 30 Mar '11 22:00
    Pm'ed after 4 hours of searching, I just couldn't let it go.
  3. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Mar '11 22:52
    Originally posted by yashin
    Pm'ed after 4 hours of searching, I just couldn't let it go.
    SOLV'D
  4. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    31 Mar '11 08:33
    Originally posted by yashin
    Pm'ed after 4 hours of searching, I just couldn't let it go.
    I think I have this one now. Took me 3 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds. Bad luck yash.....
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    31 Mar '11 19:22
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I think I have this one now. Took me 3 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds. Bad luck yash.....
    SOLV'D
  6. 01 Apr '11 00:13
    Sorry, what's the notation here? Are the pieces redacted?
  7. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    01 Apr '11 07:12
    You have to find the previous moves to move 6... where a piece for white moves from b4 to a3 to give mate. You don't know in this case which piece it might be or whether it takes a piece on a3. There is only one possible sequence of previous moves. There will be no situations where a pawn could have moved 1 or 2 spaces or a piece moves from X to Z but could have gone via Y1 or Y2. The exact moves are forced in the exact sequence. I generally try to find the mating position first then work backwards. Be warned.. it is addictive.

    Mike
  8. 04 Apr '11 23:20
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    You have to find the previous moves to move 6... where a piece for white moves from b4 to a3 to give mate. You don't know in this case which piece it might be or whether it takes a piece on a3. There is only one possible sequence of previous moves. There will be no situations where a pawn could have moved 1 or 2 spaces or a piece moves from X to Z but cou ...[text shortened]... try to find the mating position first then work backwards. Be warned.. it is addictive.

    Mike
    Thanks thaughbaer. I asked because to me it seemed unclear: if it's standard notation black mates, and if long notation white mates.
  9. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    08 Apr '11 04:25
    SOLV'D [pootstick]
  10. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    09 Apr '11 15:50
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    SOLV'D [pootstick]
    NEW PLAYER !!! But where is GP ?
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    15 Apr '11 19:38
    SOLV'D [greenpawn34]