1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 11:5514 edits
    Here is my first competitive over the board game for about 6 years. It was a first round club championship game. Our championship is split into two groups, one of the three strongest players who play each other twice, and one of the 5 weaker players, who play each other once, drawing colours. The winners of each section will play each other in the Club Championship final. First up I had probably the strongest player in our section, graded 111ECF, and unfortunately I drew black. Here is the game, I've made some comments and I'm going to stick it through my copy of RJHindenbritz13 later, but I'd appreciate some gentle feedback from you lads and a little, probably less gentle from one aristocratic lass 😛.

Time control was 35 moves in 75 minutes, then +15 minutes sudden death.

You should probably invert the board so my comments make more sense.

There will be lots of edits as I add comments, checking that they dont mess up the PGN. I've added my comments up to move 22, I'll add the rest after watching some telly, this PGN thing is such a pain in the arse it's giving me a headache!

2. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 13:22
    aha Dewy, so you are a Kings Indian player, i knowd it!
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 16:582 edits
    Hmmmmm seems that it won't let me go to football,come back and still edit. So here are the rest of my comments.

[/b]
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 22:07
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    Hmmmmm seems that it won't let me go to football,come back and still edit. So here are the rest of my comments.

[pgn][Event "Holywell Club Championship"] [Site "The Rock Inn, Lloc"] [Date "10/9/12"] [White "Barrie Hird (1538)"] [Black "Dewi Jones(UG)"] [Result "0-1"] [Position White "Ke1,Qd1,Ra1,Rh1,Bc1,Bf1,Nb1,Ng1,a2,b2,c2,d2,e2,f2,g2,h2"] [Position B ...[text shortened]... given me a chance to draw} h6 {??} 38. Ng3 0-1[/pgn]
    [/b]
    I can't disagree with any of your play and comments up until move 10...Bd7. I don't see why you wanted your bishop there to begin with rather than on e6 where it controls more space. The bishop on d7 blocks your queen which prevents white from moving his c-pawn because of the x-ray attack on d3. It turns out that he did not attack your pawn center with 11.c3 anyway, as he should have.

On move 14...a6 your failure to continue your queenside attack with 14...a5 gives white a chance to defend his a1 rook with 15.Bb2 which also prepares for an attack on your pawn center with c3. But again he blows that chance with 15.Ng1.

White's 16.Nf1 seems ridiculous. I have no idea what he is planning. 16.Nb3 is much better.

White should have attacked your center pawns with 29.f4! But as it turned out he did not need to. Better luck on your next game. It is so much easier to see the best move when you are relaxed and not under the clock.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 02:301 edit
    It's a real shame you lost this game, the opening is perhaps a little questionable in places but the position after 17..c5 looks excellent for black, you're pieces are far more active and you've got a solid space advantage. After white played 18.Qc1 i think i'd have tried 18..cxb4. White cannot recapture with the Bishop because of ..a5 (and your knight gains a massive square on c5). Opening the C-file exposes the backward pawn on c2 to attack from your heavy pieces along the c-file. There is also the possibility to advance the a/b pawns to cement this weakness. In the game white equalised by exchanging down the open c-file, taking the opportunity to semi open the c-file in your favour seems like a pretty strong strategic idea for black imo. Shame about that last move though, there's no way i can see white winning without that blunder. :'(
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 17:573 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    It's a real shame you lost this game, the opening is perhaps a little questionable in places but the position after 17..c5 looks excellent for black, you're pieces are far more active and you've got a solid space advantage. After white played 18.Qc1 i think i'd have tried 18..cxb4. White cannot recapture with the Bishop because of ..a5 (and your knight g ...[text shortened]... ut that last move though, there's no way i can see white winning without that blunder. :'(
    Thank you, that's a shame, Looks like I missed a chance to beat the favourite in our group. Still, I've won my two club champs games since this one, so I'm on 2/3 with one game to go. And one of the lads I beat, has just beaten an ECF130 player in the league. So, If I win my final game, then there is still hope I can make the final!

Current Positions
    Me 2/3 (1300)
    Barrie Hird 1/1 (1538)
    Frank Jones 0/1 (1150)
    Richard Drew 0/1 (1463)
    Terry Scott 0/0 (1530)
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 19:452 edits
    Thank you, that's a shame, Looks like I missed a chance to beat the favourite in our group. Still, I've won my two club champs games since this one, so I'm on 2/3 with one game to go. And one of the lads I beat, has just beaten an ECF130 player in the league. So, If I win my final game, then there is still hope I can make the final!

Current Positions ...[text shortened]... rie Hird 1/1 (1538)
    Frank Jones 0/1 (1150)
    Richard Drew 0/1 (1463)
    Terry Scott 0/0 (1530)
    You know, on your move 19, you could have pulled the bishop back to h8 to stop the trade, one of the advantages of R-E8. Later with the bishop covering that diagonal you could have used it for pressure.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 20:13

Frank Jones 0/1 (1150)
    Richard Drew 0/1 (1463)
    Terry Scott 0/0 (1530)
    I think the move needs closer inspection to decide if it's really the best, i only made a cursory look through the game, but undoubtedly you're better at that point. The ending you reached is very difficult to evaluate. I think looking for an opportunity to play ..f5 is important, the d3 pawn is holding whites position in tact, trying to find exchanges that remove or move that pawn give you great winning chances. Your knight walk to c1 strikes me as slightly counter productive, if you scroll back to move 28 it's arguably your bast placed piece. Why not try 28..f5 with the idea of exchanging on e4 at some point? White would have to be very brave to capture as your pawns are suddenly mobile. Bring the knight from d7 to f6, it all looks very tricky for white to defend.
  9. e4
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 00:211 edit
    The end of course made chuckle. 🙂

(here I go again, is it a Helpmate or a bloody Selfmate?

(do what you always do GP made up a term......Duck)

Cheers pal. It's a Hari-Kari Mate.

Of course loads of analysis and suggestion not one diagram or pgn to be seen.

Position after Black's 8th move 8...d4

What you have there is a Pirc reversed.
    (Put the the Black c-pawn on c5 and it's a reversed KID.)

Quite a few games on RHP and OTB have gone on from here.
    We look at an RHP game. It features standard ideas in this formation and
    of course the typical blunders and missed chances we see at our level.

I'm looking at from Black's side the reversed side of the actual game.
    These are the sort of ideas White should have been coming up with.
    Light notes based around the major decisions.

f1list - Ed Bernheim RHP 2009

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 00:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 00:55

Frank Jones 0/1 (1150)
    Richard Drew 0/1 (1463)
    Terry Scott 0/0 (1530)
    If you can remember the analysis here, you will be better prepared when you find yourself in that opening again. That could mean a win next time.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 09:311 edit
    When playing the King's Indian I think it's better to try to keep the tension in the position by avoiding initiating pawn exchanges. I really liked Black's position up to move 17, but was less keen on 18. ... cxd3 and the subsequent exchanges. I like to build up pressure so that White is eventually goaded into yielding control of key squares by swapping off his well placed but attacked pawns. If Black can recapture with a pawn then hopefully he will have more control over the 4th and 5th ranks.

You seemed very worried about White's Bh6. Since your rook wasn't on f8, you could have considered playing Bh8. White's bishop is just left looking silly then. Personally I don't worry unduly about that sort of maneuver. Be sure not to play Bxh6 as this will allow White's queen to infiltrate, but otherwise if he plays Bxg7 and you recapture with your king, the h6 square is covered and it will take him a while to generate an attack.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 19:492 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 13:291 edit
    Thank you all for the great help with analysing that game. I will be running over it with my opponent next week. I've definately improved as a player in the three months or so that I've been a member of RHP, and that's thanks to those of you who've helped me in threads and in friendly games. When I last played chess about 8 years ago, I had an account on here and got to about 1450 as a rating. I'm way above that at the moment, and I hope to make a real life rating of about 1450 this season.

Anyway, here is my third club championship game. A victory 🙂

Edit : I am Black, my oponent was graded 1479, and I have a 1300 provisional grade.

15. under your bed
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 08:59
    Thank you all for the great help with analysing that game. I will be running over it with my opponent next week. I've definately improved as a player in the three months or so that I've been a member of RHP, and that's thanks to those of you who've helped me in threads and in friendly games. When I last played chess about 8 years ago, I had an account on ...[text shortened]... g6 36. g4 Be6 37. Ke4 Ra4+ 38. Rd4 Rxd4+ 39. Kxd4 Kd6 {White resigned} 0-1[/pgn]
    Well done. The great thing about the scando is that you see in about 2 moves whether your opponent knows how to play Chess or not.

My last otb scando against a 1800 player went 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.c4? Qd8 4.d3?? (which I won)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree