1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 11:212 edits
    You (Black) mostly played an excellent game, with really good tactical awareness. However what was the reasoning behind 6. ... h6? It doesn't protect the e5 pawn and weakens your kingside (in particular the h5-e8 diagonal) for no reason. What did you have planned if White played the obvious 9.f4 in order to keep the pawn you so generously gave him?

Anyway, after this rather this rather shakey start you outplayed your opponent. I would estimate your ECF grade at around 120 to 140 based on this game.

I'm sure Mr Fritz would tell you that your exchange sac (18. ... Rxe3) was unsound, but I liked it as it resulted in the sort of wild position where weaker players will blunder due to their inability to calculate tactics correctly.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 13:05
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You (Black) mostly played an excellent game, with really good tactical awareness. However what was the reasoning behind 6. ... h6? It doesn't protect the e5 pawn and weakens your kingside (in particular the h5-e8 diagonal) for no reason. What did you have planned if White played the obvious 9.f4 in order to keep the pawn you so generously gave him?

Anywa ...[text shortened]... ition where weaker players will blunder due to their inability to calculate tactics correctly.
    My answer was to be 9.....f6. But I don't know if it's sound. I'll look once I get in, I'm typing this on my blackberry at work!
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 15:04
    As you get more experienced at OTB chess you will get certain chess reflexes before playing certain moves. For example if you are considering moving the f-pawn before you have castled you should immediately think "What if he plays the check?":

A list of "chess reflexes" would probably be a very useful thing. Some which immediately come to mind are:

1) I've castled kingside and I'm about to move my f6-knight - can he play Bxh7+?

2) He's just moved a knight to d5 (white) or d4 (black) - can he play Nc7 (Nc2), forking my king and rook?

3) He's just moved his queen onto the same rank or file as his king - can I win it with a pin or skewer?
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 16:131 edit
    Jesus, how terrible. I'll make a note not to try and invent my own opening traps.

Ouch, that could have been embarassing.

The h pawn move was intended as a waiting move, hoping to spring my ill planned trap.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 16:16
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    Jesus, how terrible. I'll make a note not to try and invent my own opening traps.

Ouch, that could have been embarassing.
    Thats not at all the proper attitude. He fell for the trap the way you envisioned it and so will others whom you face. Some of them will dismantle you for it but if they're good enough to spot a flaw you didn't see then there is a good chance that they're just better than you. Don't limit yourself just get better.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 16:18
    I didn't say I wouldn't try opening traps, just that I wouldn't make them up as I went along 😉
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 16:37
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    I didn't say I wouldn't try opening traps, just that I wouldn't make them up as I went along 😉
    Making them up is the best way to do it... if you play known opening traps then anybody is likely to refute it.
  8. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '12 19:43
    Congratulations on that second game!!
    The 18...Rxe3 sacrifice is a splendid idea that got its just reward. I think even with best defence by white, black should be better, with active centralised pieces, the white rook shut out at h1, an extra pawn and the 'a' pawn under threat.

23. Re1? loses at once, but if white plays his 'threat' 23 Bxf7 you have a lovely line 23...Nf2 24. Rg1 Nxh3! 25 gxh3 Bxh3+ winning.

Before that, white was a little ahead in development when queens came off, but then played 6 pawn moves in a row (moves 12-17), while you mobilised with maximum efficiency to set up the sacrifice.

I agree with Fat lady's comments regarding 6...h6? I would only add that the position looks very good for black after a normal move like 6...Bd6. If black holds the e5 pawn, the knight on d3 is badly misplaced. It blocks both (!) white's bishops and makes it hard to defend e4 properly. So you could have been thinking about building an advantage by positional means rather than setting harmless traps.

Many thanks for posting your games here, long may you continue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree