1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 08:09
    Against 1. e4 I used to play the Sicilian, but I started believing the Sicilian is better suited for advanced players.

I'm really starting to like the French defense and all I've done is watch a few short videos talking about different lines. It's already been playable for me because the "right" moves tend to be more natural and intuitive. More important, it's more fun for me than the Sicilian, and I'm not sure why.

When playing as white I've switched from playing 1. d4 to playing 1. e4. I don't know what it's called by my typical open is 1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 and then I bring my bishop to c4. Again, correct play seems more natural and I'm having more fun.

With the Sicilian and playing the queens pawn as white, I think I tend to end up is kind of "locked in" situations where I can't come up with a plan or tactical ideas. This leads me to my dilemma......

Playing against 1. d4 any defense I use tends to end up in the same "locked in" feeling once the middle game is reached where I have fewer exciting attack ideas.

I'm looking for something to use that has exciting play but is playable for 1500 level players. I love playing (1. d4 c5 ) as black IF they accept the gambit. if they push the pawn to d5 I end up cramped without much exciting play.

Any suggestions?

Also, any comments about my assessment of the lines I've been playing?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 08:43
    Try some gambits: http://studimonetari.org/edg/
  3. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 09:26
    King's Indian Defence (KID). It tends to lead to exciting, attacking games. There can be a lot of theory to learn, but if you concentrate on the ideas behind the moves rather than learning moves by rote, it's not too bad.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 09:49
    Originally posted by sylvander
    Try some gambits: http://studimonetari.org/edg/
    yup, Albin counter gambit, Budapest gambit, Schara gambit etc etc
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 12:401 edit
    leningrad dutch or king's indian defence. as a bonus leningrad can be played against pretty much everything but 1.e4. and also with reversed colors as white.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 12:47
    Originally posted by wormwood
    leningrad dutch or king's indian defence. as a bonus leningrad can be played against pretty much everything but 1.e4. and also with reversed colors as white.
    Leningrad Dutch? Staunton gambit! read it and weep wormy my son!
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 12:48
    why you cannot say the same for KID too ?
  8. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 12:50
    According to the RHP stats, Nh6 for over 1400 and a5 for over 1900 are best. Try the a5 solution. At over 1900 it is 100% win for black!
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 14:10
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Against 1. e4 I used to play the Sicilian, but I started believing the Sicilian is better suited for advanced players.

I'm really starting to like the French defense and all I've done is watch a few short videos talking about different lines. It's already been playable for me because the "right" moves tend to be more natural and intuitive. More ...[text shortened]... ns?

Also, any comments about my assessment of the lines I've been playing?
    The Budapest is the best; players at your level often don't accept it which gives Black a very easy game. And it tends to open the game quickly.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 14:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Budapest is the best; players at your level often don't accept it which gives Black a very easy game. And it tends to open the game quickly.
    In OTB play I have seen relatively strong players lose in under 10 moves to the Budapest twice. Hardly scientific, but there is something to be said for that!
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 14:23
    Originally posted by vipiu
    why you cannot say the same for KID too ?
    that's true of course. I just don't think KID is as good a choice to a 1500 who's come to the (right) conclusion that sicilian might be a bit too much for him.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 14:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Leningrad Dutch? Staunton gambit! read it and weep wormy my son!
    what about it. I don't think I've lost or drawn a single slow game against staunton. (plenty of blitz games though. blitz happens...)
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 14:43
    what about it. I don't think I've lost or drawn a single slow game against staunton. (plenty of blitz games though. blitz happens...)
    Lol, well perhaps those players failed to fully enter into the spirit of the gambit, wussies!
  14. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 14:597 edits
    Albin Counter Gambit!

Leads to easy development and an attacking game. I wouldn't recommend the KIA to anyone under 1600 or so, they will find themselves being strangled by stronger players every time.

Main Line:

With easy development to follow and a kingside attack with moves like f6, Nxf6, Be7, and h5/h4.

Here's a nice game in the mainline.

If white doesn't accept the gambit, black equalizes easily:

and

Also holds a few traps that will catch many sub 1600 players and above like this game shows.

15. e4
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 18:133 edits
    Hi Para Guy

If you find a 100% sharp opening v 1.d4 then let me know.

The lads are being helpful and the stuff on the Albin is good.

But the rub is 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3.

'2.Nf3 is the antidote to all gambits.' Kasparov.

It certainly rules out the Albin and the Budapest.

(1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 is the anti Budapaest line).

If I knew for certain I was getting 1.d4 d5 2.c4 then I'd be playing the Albin.

But 2.Nf3 or 1.Bf4 in 1.d4 d5 openings are rock solid.

2...Nc6 v 2.Nf3 a Chigorin can be OK but if White wants it's dead then
    there is little you can do.

All is despair? No.

This comment you made:

"I love playing (1. d4 c5 ) as black IF they accept the gambit. if they push
    the pawn to d5 I end up cramped without much exciting play. "

Getting a white pawn onto d5 is every KID players dream.

I'm surprise no one picked up on this.

Better a white pawn on d5 than a white Knight and the white King's
    Bishop is not looking too pretty.
    The centre is blocked so you are perfectly justified in carrying out a
    flank attack.

So if you want imbalance v the QP then it's the KID.
    Andrew Martin's book on the KID is a wonderful introduction.

Your 1.d4 c5!? can transpose into a c5 KID's but most likely it will go
    into Benko's or Benoni's. Both perfectly playable for a sharp game.

But I say again;

If you find a 100% sharp opening v 1.d4 then let me know. Please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree