Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 18 Mar '06 15:46
    Does anyone know of any? I mean apart from the BDG which seems pretty limp against the CK "Super-fortress"
  2. 18 Mar '06 16:16
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    What is the BDG?
    Blackmar-Diemer Gambit

Typical way to reach it is
    1.d4 d5
    2.e4 dxe4
    3.Nc3 Nf6
    4.f3 exf3

In the Caro-Kann,

1.e4 c6
    2.d4 d5
    3.Nc3 dxe4
    4.f3 exf3

The problem is that the pawns on e6 and c6 are the main rememdy to this gambit and many people adopt a Caro-Kann setup against the Blackmar-Diemer.

Some other details - I play the Evans Gambit, Morra Gambit, Two Knights Defence and anything classical and risky really.

Against 1.d4 I'll play a Queen's Gambit Accepted or the King's Indian Defence depending on my mood and what result I plan on playing for.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    18 Mar '06 17:05
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    Blackmar-Diemer Gambit

Typical way to reach it is
    1.d4 d5
    2.e4 dxe4
    3.Nc3 Nf6
    4.f3 exf3

In the Caro-Kann,

1.e4 c6
    2.d4 d5
    3.Nc3 dxe4
    4.f3 exf3

The problem is that the pawns on e6 and c6 are the main rememdy to this gambit and many people adopt a Caro-Kann setup against the Blackmar-Diemer.

Some other details - I play the Evan ...[text shortened]... pted or the King's Indian Defence depending on my mood and what result I plan on playing for.
    I found two under B15 of the ECO classification system:

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 dxe4 4 f3 - Rasa-Studier Gambit

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 dxe4 4 Nxe4 Nf6 5 Bd3 - Alekhine Gambit
  4. 18 Mar '06 17:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I found two under B15 of the ECO classification system:

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 dxe4 4 f3 - Rasa-Studier Gambit

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 dxe4 4 Nxe4 Nf6 5 Bd3 - Alekhine Gambit
    Thanks that's quite helpful actually. The only problem with the first one is it is more than likely to lead to the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit which is dashed against the rocks of the pawns on c6 and e6.

The second one does look promising though. I remember looking at it once in very little detail. I like the idea of tempting out the Black queen to be attacked. I'll do a bit of research.

Cheers!
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    18 Mar '06 17:29
    Thanks that's quite helpful actually. The only problem with the first one is it is more than likely to lead to the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit which is dashed against the rocks of the pawns on c6 and e6.

The second one does look promising though. I remember looking at it once in very little detail. I like the idea of tempting out the Black queen to be attacked. I'll do a bit of research.

Cheers!
    Sorry about that; I didn't look at your original post carefully enough. The Rasa-Studier sequence was already given by you, though under the BDG title (though ECO does not classify it as such).
  6. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    18 Mar '06 19:13
    A very interesting one is the Ulysses Gambit: 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nf3!? After 3...dxe4 4.Ng5,Black can't keep the pawn,and if he's smart he won't try.
  7. 18 Mar '06 19:31
    Originally posted by sundown316
    A very interesting one is the Ulysses Gambit: 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nf3!? After 3...dxe4 4.Ng5,Black can't keep the pawn,and if he's smart he won't try.
    Really? I haven't heard of it, and the move 3.Nf3 is not in my database at all!

How does the main line go?
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    18 Mar '06 19:47
    Really? I haven't heard of it, and the move 3.Nf3 is not in my database at all!

How does the main line go?
    I found 22 games on the Chessbase database with the suggested sequence of moves. If Black plays 4 .... Nf6 White scores 2W, 11L, 2D; if Black plays 4 ...... Bf5, White wins 1 and loses 6. Obviously, it has not scored very well, but for novelty value it might be worth a shot in OTB. If I know my Caro players, most won't take the pawn.
  9. 18 Mar '06 19:52
    Or 1 d4 d5 2. e4 c6 (boo) 3 Nc3 dxe4 4 Bc4!? (hurrah!)
    One example of which is was Alexander Golembek 1946
  10. 18 Mar '06 19:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I found 22 games on the Chessbase database with the suggested sequence of moves. If Black plays 4 .... Nf6 White scores 2W, 11L, 2D; if Black plays 4 ...... Bf5, White wins 1 and loses 6. Obviously, it has not scored very well, but for novelty value it might be worth a shot in OTB. If I know my Caro players, most won't take the pawn.
    I'll give it a fling in some blitz games and see how they go.
  11. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    18 Mar '06 20:05
    I've faced it 5 times as Black,with a score of +3-1=1. I don't think it's quite sound for White,but it is a refreshing change of pace from worn-out trail horses like the Advance 3.e5(total rubbish for White),the Exchange or Panov-Botvinnik,and the various 3.Nc3 lines. I'm a firm believer in Tartakover's dictum:"If it's dubious,it's playable".