Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 11 Sep '10 21:30 / 1 edit
    Hello, all. This is a game my opponent and I both enjoyed. During the middle game he messaged me saying it was very challenging up to this point and that - win or lose - going to analyze it a few times over. I was also very challenged through most of it, trying desperately to find tactical opportunities to no avail. I was stuck mostly trying to chip away positionally, which is quite frustrating for me.

    I offered to post it on the board to get feedback because I think it would be cool with both players explaining why they made certain moves. I'm going to PM the link and hopefully he'll join in.

    The game ended with resignation.


    [Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2010.09.04"]
    [EndDate "2010.09.11"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "USArmyParatrooper"]
    [Black "Porky1016"]
    [WhiteRating "1636"]
    [BlackRating "1555"]
    [WhiteELO "1636"]
    [BlackELO "1555"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "7737764"]

  2. 11 Sep '10 21:49
    To start, 6... cxd4 isn't a move I would have made.

    It un-doubled my pawns and allowed me to later post my white bishop along the b1-h7 diagonal. Perhaps someone more skilled than I can come in and say if it was a technically accurate move.
  3. 11 Sep '10 23:39
    A better move at that point might have been Qb6. I was only a little familiar with the French: Advanced variation.
  4. 11 Sep '10 23:50
    Originally posted by Porky1016
    A better move at that point might have been Qb6. I was only a little familiar with the French: Advanced variation.
    That's actually not the advance variation. That only comes when the pawn is immediately pushed with 3. e5

    I'm about 90% the one you played is the Winawer variation.
  5. 12 Sep '10 00:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Hello, all. This is a game my opponent and I both enjoyed. During the middle game he messaged me saying it was very challenging up to this point and that - win or lose - going to analyze it a few times over. I was also very challenged through most of it, trying desperately to find tactical opportunities to no avail. I was stuck mostly trying to chi 5 Kc7b7 39. Nd2e4 f5 40. exf6 Rg7c7 41. c4 Kb7a6 42. Ne4d6 1-0[/pgn]
    a few notes....

    instead of r-fc1 ra-c1 looks more appropriate. You want to get in that c4 break with the king stuck in the center...break it open. That means you want the a rook to support the c4 push and the f rook can come to the e or d file after the exchange of pawns. The a rook can come to c7 with massive pressure against the black king(which seems to be the key to this posiition- there are opposite colored bishops present and the side with the attack in the middlegame is better. In the endgame I am sure you know they are supposed to be drawn a lot of the time).


    Just some general considerations which jumped out at me.
  6. 12 Sep '10 00:04
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    That's actually not the advance variation. That only comes when the pawn is immediately pushed with 3. e5

    I'm about 90% the one you played is the Winawer variation.
    yup that was a winawer
  7. 12 Sep '10 00:14
    Originally posted by erikido
    a few notes....

    instead of r-fc1 ra-c1 looks more appropriate. You want to get in that c4 break with the king stuck in the center...break it open. That means you want the a rook to support the c4 push and the f rook can come to the e or d file after the exchange of pawns. The a rook can come to c7 with massive pressure against the black king(which seems ...[text shortened]... to be drawn a lot of the time).


    Just some general considerations which jumped out at me.
    Thanks! That does make a lot of sense. I'm trying to remember why I chose the f-rook, and I think it was because I wanted to keep protection on the isolated pawn.

    But perhaps supporting an assault on the king up the middle is a better priority for a major piece.
  8. 12 Sep '10 00:24
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Thanks! That does make a lot of sense. I'm trying to remember why I chose the f-rook, and I think it was because I wanted to keep protection on the isolated pawn.

    But perhaps supporting an assault on the king up the middle is a better priority for a major piece.
    yes, and keep in mind a weakness is only weak if it can be attacked. The only way for black to attack it is to bring the knight to c5. But you still have the n-d2 idea and the exchange still seems to give u some long term pressure with the strong center and open files. It might be a "=" game but if that was the case it is dynamically equal and the better player wins which I personally think is the best way to go