1. Joined
    01 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 11:541 edit
    Here's a very short game I played against a 1600 player (who was as high as 1775). I'm often surprised how weak some of these 1600-1700 players are. Well, here's the game:

White: XXX
    Black: Kalhornov

1. e4 d5

The Scandinavian Defence, which I've found to be particularly effective at the lower levels.

2. exd5

Simple and best. I've seen 2. e5 quite a few times, but after 2. ... c5 black gets a favorable Caro-Kann-like structure without losing a tempo for c5.

2. ... Qxd5

My personal favorite. The other major alternative is Nf6. But I'm not too fond of this knight sortie. After 3. c4 c6 4. d4 [4. dxc6 is dubious as it speeds up black's development and leaves white with structural problems for the extra pawn] cxd5 play transposes to a Panov Attack, and 3. ... e6 (the Icelandic Gambit) is not my cup of tea.

3. Nc3

Natural, winning a tempo. Because of this loss of tempo the whole line with Qxd5 was considered somewhat dubious.
    However, Nc3 blocks the c-pawn preventing white from setting up a strong center and it isn't clear if the loss of tempo is a big deal for black. Basically, black is giving up a tempo to prevent white from building a big center.
    The modern view is that maybe white should delay Nc3 and play Nf3 or d4.

3. ... Qa5

The "old" main line. Until now I've been playing the "modern" Qd6 with good results, but here I decide to give the old line a try.

4. d4

White's main move here. White grabs the e5 square and opens the diagonal for his dark-squared bishop.

4. ... Nf6

The most popular choice. An alternative is to refrain from developing the knight to f6, which in certain lines prevents white from breaking up black's kingside pawns with a quick Ne4-Nxf6 idea.

5. Bd2

Breaking the pin on the knight and x-raying black's queen. However, the main move here is Nf3.
    And for those interested in a little chess history, Bd2 is the move played by Karpov against Larsen at the 1979 Montreal tournament. Karpov lost, but not because of the opening. He overpressed in the middlegame and Larsen struck back. Ah, the pressure of being World Champion!

5. ... Bg4

Recommended by theory. Black develops a piece with tempo. Active piece play is what I love, so I won't argue with theory. 😉 Also, the move played by Larsen.

6. Nge2

A strange move, shutting in the bishop. White's best tries are Nf3, Be2 and f3. The text move isn't horrible but slightly passive and possibly the beginning of white's future problems. Karpov played the solid Be2.

6. ... Nc6

Bringing out another piece, putting pressure on d4 and preparing queenside castling. Textbook opening play.

7. Qc1

Again a somewhat passive move. It does break the pin on the f3 knight, but the queen is passively placed and loses touch with the d4 pawn. Better was f3.

7. ... O-O-O

Brings the rook into play while increasing the pressure on d4 and getting the king out of the center. Simple and effective.

8. Ne4

A pseudo-active move from white. It attacks the black queen but does nothing to address white's lagging kingside development and king in the center.

8. ... Qd5

Aesthetically pleasing and strong - centralizing the queen, piling up on d4 and putting the question to the knight.

9. Nxf6 exf6

White wastes more time while black gets ready to get the bishop into play and connect the rooks.

10. Be3

A pseudo-defence of d4 which falls flat on its face.

10. ... Bxe2

Simple - after 11. Bxe2 there follows Qxg2 and white's kingside is in ruins.

11. Kxe2

White refuses to give up the g2 pawn, but placing the king in the center given black's activity is next to suicidal.
    12. c4 Qe4 13. f3 is met by Bb4+!

11. ... Nxd4+
    12. Bxd4

Horrible. By taking back on d4 white opens the e-file and his king is a sitting duck awaiting execution.

12. ... Qxd4
    13. Ke1

This should have been played a move earlier, giving white some hope of salvation.
    If 13. Qe3 then 13. ... Qd5 14. Qxa7 and Re8+ wins.

13. ... Bc5

Black's activity is overwhelming now. White must give up the queen to save his king and so he resigns.

0-1
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:23
    What would you think about let's say Weierstrass if he would do similar with a game of yours saying that he is amazed how weak a 2100 can play ???...
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:26
    Nice. Thanks for the annotation of the game.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:33
    Originally posted by vipiu
    What would you think about let's say Weierstrass if he would do similar with a game of yours saying that he is amazed how weak a 2100 can play ???...
    beautiful lol.

I agree that 1600's can play weak chess.. i've left my queen en prise at 1500 in CC and that's just unnaceptable.

on the other hand... grandmasters make the same mistakes at times.

I should post a game between grandmasters 'i'm amazed how bad a gm can play' ... it makes no sense to have threads like this.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:39
    You guys focus entirely too much on one sentence...
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:57
    Originally posted by vipiu
    by move 10 white is an absolute mess, and it only goes downhill from there. if the player in question reads this, he'd be wise to ignore all possible hurt sentiments and embrace the lessons freely given here.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:59
    Well, the point of the thread is to help the players at the lower levels, by highlighting some common mistakes. Mistakes that are a bit more subtle than hanging the queen or a piece...
    I am sometimes surprised by the simple mistakes made by 1700 players, but that's just a sidenote and not the meat of the post.
    I've played quite a few 1600-1800 players OTB and I've never beaten any of them in 13 moves. And here such quick busts are pretty common and the rating points just keep piling up for me...
  8. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:20
    I would like someone to do this with me, of course not in public but it wouldnt hurt either.

Thanks for the anotation.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:31
    doo00OOD, you're rated 500 points above a 1600 player, of course you'll think he plays a weak game. How well would you fare against a 2600 rated GM?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:431 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    doo00OOD, you're rated 500 points above a 1600 player, of course you'll think he plays a weak game. How well would you fare against a 2600 rated GM?
    lol.

Okay, forget I made any reference to 1600 players being weak...

The point of the thread was to post an annotated game to help your game, but it seems I've stepped on the toes of a few 1600-ish players...
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 13:50
    I think Kalhornov is just discovering what most of us already know - That 1600 on RHP isn't the same as 1600 OTB. Not a big deal, imho.
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 20:44
    Thread 74295 is quite interesting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree