1. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 10:551 edit
    Read this last night in the NIC anthology book among Smyslov's studies.A study by K.Fabel,1949

White mates in two

You might think it's impossible and I made some mistake.Here's the solution:

Reveal Hidden Content
    It is an odds game,white started without his a1 rook and still has castling rights.So 1.0-0-0 (brings the king to c1) Ka1 2.Ra3 checkmate

Good stuff 🙂
  2. Joined
    26 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 01:48
    That's legal?
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 01:48
    Originally posted by Blackson
    That's legal?
    I think it's a joke
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 05:332 edits
    Warning please read the title of this thread b4 attempting to solve this.🙂
    White to play and win.

hint.number 1.--- I think a go player invented this problem.
    hint.number 2.--- solving this problem will grant you 30 points.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 07:09
    The first hint makes me think the solution must be 1.f4, surrounding Black's knight, which is therefore removed from the board. Don't know where 30 points fits in though.
  6. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 08:49
    you found it ponnuki 30 points its a go proverb
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 08:56
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    😠😠😠 My Rybka doesn't like 1. f4

😠😠😠
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 09:15
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    😠😠😠 My Rybka doesn't like 1. f4

😠😠😠
    Your Rybka doesn't play Go.
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 09:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Your Rybka doesn't play Go.
    My Rybka is rated 3426 it can play anything
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 09:44
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponnuki

OK, never heard of that before. I only know the basic rules of go.
  11. Joined
    26 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 11:08
    Warning please read the title of this thread b4 attempting to solve this.🙂
    Ha.. Well I just saw 'puzzle' in the title and I clicked 🙂
  12. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 11:45
    That's legal?
    If you play an odds game it would be a legal move,yes.

At least I assume so,I never played odds games and do not know the rules.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 11:49
    That's legal?
    http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter56.html

6029. Castling with a phantom rook

From Mark Thornton (Cambridge, England):

‘In rook-odds games could the odds-giver castle with the “phantom rook”? For example, if White gave the odds of his queen’s rook, could he play Ke1-c1? And, if so, were the castling rules the same as if the rook were present?’

No consensus was ever reached, as is shown by the selection of British quotes below. Firstly, Howard Staunton on page 35 of Chess Praxis (London, 1860):

‘When a player gives the odds of his king’s or queen’s rook, he must not castle (or, more properly speaking, leap his king) on the side from whence he takes off the rook, unless before commencing the game or match he stipulates to have the privilege of so doing.’

On page 35 of Chess (London, 1889) R.F. Green wrote similarly:

‘A player giving the odds of a rook may not go through the form of castling on the side from which the rook has been removed.’

However, in a review of the book on pages 88-89 of the March 1890 BCM Edward Freeborough disagreed. After stating, with respect to level games, that castling should be described as a move of the king and that the king should therefore be moved first, Freeborough observed:

‘It follows logically that the fact of giving the odds of a rook ought not to deprive the king of his privilege of taking two steps to the right or left as his first move.’

Page 36 of The British Chess Code (London, 1903) stated:

‘In the absence of agreement to a different effect, a player may castle (by moving his king as in ordinary castling) on a side from which, before the commencement of the game, the player’s rook has been removed, provided that this rook’s square is unoccupied and has been unoccupied throughout the game, and that the same conditions as to squares and as to the king are fulfilled which are required for ordinary castling on this side.’

The above text was quoted on page 275 of the June 1916 Chess Amateur when a revised edition of the Code was envisaged. Comments were invited, and on page 305 of the July 1916 issue ‘Simplex’ wrote:

‘This I think sheer nonsense. If a player gave me a rook and wanted to castle on this rook’s side, I should say, “No, you don’t, you can’t castle without a castle”. Let’s have no pretence. If a player gives a rook, let him give it totally not half. Receivers of odds are not strong players, and to see the nominal giver of odds move his king a couple of squares would be disconcerting. No; if a player gives odds let him give them without pretence.’

A contrary view was expressed by W.S. Branch on pages 333-334 of the August 1916 Chess Amateur:

‘Re Chess Laws, page 305 (July), and as to “castling without rook”, I would say, first, that you can’t “castle the king” – the full and proper term, of which “castles” is an abridgment – without a castle. The phrase should be “moving the king as in castling”.

I believe that the right of the odds-giver to move his king, once in a game, as in castling, has always been upheld since “castling” was invented (sixteenth century). It existed, as part of the “king’s leap”, long before “castling” was invented, and long before the rook was ever called a “castle”. The giving of the rook as odds should not deprive the king of any of his rights.’

Branch then gave further historical details regarding the king’s leap. By 1916, however, the practice of giving odds was disappearing, without any formal resolution of the ‘phantom rook’ question.
  14. e4
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 13:40
    Phew! A well researched reply Mr Fat Lady.

(What about if you gave 'pawn odds' can you sneak in an En Passent?)

Staying with the joke theme.
    If you want to bamboozle someone then show them this.

It's not checkmate. It's a draw.

Checkmate means that on the very next move the King is taken
    and the game ends.

Obviously it is Black to play. But Black cannot move!
    Black cannot even make an illegal move
    (ie moving the King into check where it can be taken).

White cannot finsh the game and take the King because Black has no move.
    Therefore the game is drawn.
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 13:442 edits
    Black loses because he is forced to cannibalism (FIDE Handbook of chess, rule 3.8.7.d)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree