Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 06 May '12 01:48
    My daughter played this game in a tournament (Oxfordshire Megafinal) earlier today. I thought I had seen every way Black could possibly lose after 4.Ng5, but this one was new to me!
  2. 06 May '12 13:22 / 1 edit
    It's a new one to me. Perfectly logical at that stage, he played 4...Ne7 to boost d5.

    This mate in 5 has an instructive theme. We call it the Adventurous Pawn Game.

    kurenai - player4 RHP 2007

  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 May '12 13:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    My daughter played this game in a tournament (Oxfordshire Megafinal) earlier today. I thought I had seen every way Black could possibly lose after 4.Ng5, but this one was new to me!
    [pgn]
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 Ne7 5. Bxf7#
    [/pgn]
    Well at least now she knows not to put the knight on e7, eh. "
  4. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    06 May '12 13:57
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    It's a new one to me. Perfectly logical at that stage, he played 4...Ne7 to boost d5.

    This mate in 5 has an instructive theme. We call it the Adventurous Pawn Game.

    kurenai - player4 RHP 2007

    [pgn]
    1. Ng1f3 h5 2. e3 h4 3. Bf1c4 h3 4. Nf3e5 hxg2 {If 5.Rg1 Rxh2 with the threat of 6....Rh1. Unfortunately....} 5. Bc4xf7[/pgn]
    player4 was having a bad day. He lost to kurenai 11 times in 5 moves or less in the space of an hour.
  5. 06 May '12 14:55 / 1 edit
    I saw them all. I did not see the hour difference though.

    They were possibly setting up examples for a beginners club and what not to do.
    I've suspected a few games on here have been played out for teaching purposes
    or just for sheer develiment.

    Look at the games between King of Egypt v Lord of Egypt v Prince of Egypt.
  6. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    06 May '12 15:21
    It's like a sequel to The Mummy. LORD OF EGYPT was banned while KING OF EGYPT and PRINCE OF EGYPT were allowed to play on. Presumably he was caught in bed with User 441205. Now he is just a User 278514.

    Can you imagine the frustration of coming up with a username which has to be unique of User 50671 only to find that it is taken so you have to be User 53497. What's worse is the blaggard has stolen your profile too !!
  7. 06 May '12 17:01
    We should never have looked at them profiles.

    The Curse of the Egyptian Mummies....We are Doomed.
  8. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    07 May '12 21:49
    Any moment now a Jerky Boys fan will join under the pseudonym The Egyptian Magician...
  9. Standard member gambit05
    Mad Murdock
    07 May '12 22:59
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Any moment now a Jerky Boys fan will join under the pseudonym The Egyptian Magician...
    Close:

    User 50671
    User 53497
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 May '12 11:27
    Originally posted by gambit05
    Close:

    User 50671
    User 53497
    He's old history now 2990 days since he moved. BTW, I think the Sphinx came before the pyramids.....
  11. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    09 May '12 10:46


    My daughter was playing in the welsh under 8s championship many years ago when she was 6 and had only just started playing chess. Her opponent blindly goes for scholars mate and very loudly declares MATE. My daughter starts crying and accepts it even though the queen is en prise
  12. Subscriber roma45
    st johnstone
    09 May '12 11:36
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    My daughter played this game in a tournament (Oxfordshire Megafinal) earlier today. I thought I had seen every way Black could possibly lose after 4.Ng5, but this one was new to me!
    [pgn]
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 Ne7 5. Bxf7#
    [/pgn]
    was that the delancy schools championship?
  13. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    09 May '12 12:36
    Originally posted by roma45
    was that the delancy schools championship?
    No the straight WCU champs
  14. 09 May '12 13:54 / 1 edit
    What a shame. That would have been enough to put anybody off chess forever.
    I hope she is still paying.

    Mind you, perhaps she saw the forced mate in 3 so just resigned.

  15. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    09 May '12 20:41
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    What a shame. That would have been enough to put anybody off chess forever.
    I hope she is still paying.

    Mind you, perhaps she saw the forced mate in 3 so just resigned.

    [pgn]
    [FEN "rnbqkbnr/pp1p1Qpp/8/1p2p3/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNB1K1NR b KQkq - 0 1"]
    1... Kxf7 2. Nc3 Ke8 3. Nxb5 Ne7 4. Nd6[/pgn]
    Nice one..!