1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 09:091 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    What a pathetic demonstration of black's most awesome defense. Just a bad game.
    Yes... 🙁 But I played too fast and had a frustration from my opponent's rating and pawn storm! Look at the game in his profile! I guess you too would have some problems with this mate 😛
  2. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 09:32
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Yes... 🙁 But I played too fast and had a frustration from my opponent's rating and pawn storm! Look at the game in his profile! I guess you too would have some problems with this mate 😛
    Better get used to pawn storms if you intend to play the Sicilian, especially the Dragon variation where white's sharpest plan is O-O-O with a pawn storm (the Yugoslav attack). There, more so than in the calmer Sicilians, you have to counterattack very quickly and accurately or you will get mated. If that's not your thing you might want to try a quieter opening, like the Scandinavian or the Caro-Kann.
  3. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 12:26
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    I don't get it. Well-known book moves should never come as a surprise in a correspondence game, right?
    Of course you are right it was only a joke!!
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 13:00
    I like sharp openings. I just have to master them. It's the first time I played against Yugoslav attack.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 13:06
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Game 4386740

[Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2007.12.16"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "ih8sens"]
    [Black "ivan2908"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [PlyCount "44"]
    [EventDate "2007.??.??"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. Be3 Bg7 7. f3 O-O 8. h4
    Nc6 9. g4 {Last mainline move. Perfectly playable though. ...[text shortened]... e.} 21. Nf6+ Kf8 22. Rh8+ Ke7 1-0

Lesson to learn: Don't skimp on tactics!
    Nice annotation. 😉 Your tactics have certainly improved since our last game - dare I play another KGA against you?
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 13:101 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 14:58
    I like sharp openings. I just have to master them. It's the first time I played against Yugoslav attack.
    There's a Canadian GM, Pascal Charbonneau, who plays the Dragon regularly. There's a few games of his that feature the Yugoslav here: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=49591&playercomp=black&opening=B34-B39+B70-B79&title=Pascal%20Charbonneau%20playing%20the%20Sicilian%20Dragon%20as%20Black

He's a pretty sharp player, maybe you can get some ideas from those games.
  8. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 15:211 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    He doesn't after 24...Qc5+, 25.Kh1 Kb6 26.Rb1+ Ka7 which is what I should have said. Then Black is much better.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 17:46
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    He doesn't after 24...Qc5+, 25.Kh1 Kb6 26.Rb1+ Ka7 which is what I should have said. Then Black is much better.
    that line is a book line just about all the way through and is winning for white... didn't look at your line too extensively though.. gimme a a few hours.. busy right now.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:14
    I like them too...but the thing is the only sharp openings I am good in is the KG and the Yugoslav attack to the Sicilian Dragon...my point is try to find openings that you are good in.
  11. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 23:02
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I like them too...but the thing is the only sharp openings I am good in is the KG and the Yugoslav attack to the Sicilian Dragon...my point is try to find openings that you are good in.
    I don't think many people would be "good" their first time facing the Yugoslav attack. For that matter, I tend to suck the first time (or few times) I try any new opening. Doesn't mean the opening isn't for me, just means I don't have enough experience with the opening to really understand what's going on in it (and theory is no substitute for experience).

Better to try and find openings that lead to positions you enjoy playing. If you enjoy the opening you'll be more inclined to study it and you'll improve at playing it as you become more experienced with it.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Dec '07 05:45
    Originally posted by scandium
    I don't think many people would be "good" their first time facing the Yugoslav attack. For that matter, I tend to suck the first time (or few times) I try any new opening. Doesn't mean the opening isn't for me, just means I don't have enough experience with the opening to really understand what's going on in it (and theory is no substitute for experience). ...[text shortened]... ed to study it and you'll improve at playing it as you become more experienced with it.
    Wouldn't that fall under "finding" openings that you are good in? I never said that I was good at the Yugo my first time playing it although I did win my first time against it when I was a 1200 and my opponent was a 1550-1600 player.
  13. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    25 Dec '07 22:59
    Originally posted by wormwood
    f4 and it looks like close to a lost game. white has a huge lead in development, the pawn storm is half way through, black is cramped and has not even started the counter-attack. a sitting duck waiting to become shot.
    quite possibly, sure black has to defend but i think the position is playable.

White has many weaknesses to. If black can survive the initial attack he would have good winning chances.....if.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree