Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Nov '06 00:48 / 1 edit
    This position was recently reached in a game between two players rated over 2000 on this site:


    White to move

    The question is - what happened next?
  2. 18 Nov '06 00:53
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    This position was recently reached in a game between two players rated over 2000 on this site:

    [fen]r4r1k/1p1b4/1q2ppQ1/p1b1RpB1/3p4/P7/1P3PPP/R5K1[/fen]
    White to move

    The question is - what happened next?
    Should I assume that Bxf6+ is wrong?
  3. 18 Nov '06 00:55
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Should I assume that Bxf6+ is wrong?
    I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, but how does White continue after Rxf6?
  4. 18 Nov '06 00:58 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, but how does White continue after Rxf6?
    Wait, actually, Bh6, Rg8, Qxf6+ Kh7....stuck again.
  5. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    18 Nov '06 01:01 / 1 edit
    Qh5+? Followed by either Kg8 Bh6 and black is trapped, or Kg7 Bg6+ Kh7(8) Bxf8+ which gains a decent lead.
  6. 18 Nov '06 01:09
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Qh5+? Followed by either Kg8 Bh6 and black is trapped, or Kg7 Bg6+ Kh7(8) Bxf8+ which gains a decent lead.
    What about 1.Qh5+ Kg8 2.Bh6 Be8. Unfortunately White doesn't have many safe checking squares on the g-file.
  7. 18 Nov '06 01:24
    i cannot find anything better than perpetual with a draw. i dont play at the expert level, so im probably missing something
  8. 18 Nov '06 08:08
    I thought Rd1 might be worth a shot, threatening Rd3. If Black spots it and plays, say, Qb3 then White can bail out with the draw.

    Anyway, this is how the game went: Game 2740252 (remember White was rated over 2000 at the time of this game).
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    18 Nov '06 08:41 / 1 edit
    Bh6

    Edit: In fact, 20.Bh6 would have been hard to meet...
  10. 18 Nov '06 11:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by likeforest
    i cannot find anything better than perpetual with a draw. i dont play at the expert level, so im probably missing something
    Rae1 looks good as its sets a trap (1.Rae1 fxg5 2. R1e4 g4 3.Rxg4 winning) There is no point for white to take perpetual without trying to win.
  11. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    18 Nov '06 15:23
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I thought Rd1 might be worth a shot, threatening Rd3. If Black spots it and plays, say, Qb3 then White can bail out with the draw.

    Anyway, this is how the game went: Game 2740252 (remember White was rated over 2000 at the time of this game).
    ah, merchantparkpro. well, that's not the only game where he's been gifted a win. I suppose people don't want to play against him, and just rather resign even when they're winning.
  12. Standard member Mathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    18 Nov '06 16:06
    Given that white is a bishop and a pawn down at this juncture, wouldn't it be better to go for:

    Qh6+ ...Kg8
    Qg6+ ...Kh8


    &c.,&c.. and draw by perpetual+ ?

    I fail to see a clever way for white to win here
  13. 18 Nov '06 16:09
    Originally posted by Mathurine
    Given that white is a bishop and a pawn down at this juncture, wouldn't it be better to go for:

    Qh6+ ...Kg8
    Qg6+ ...Kh8


    &c.,&c.. and draw by perpetual+ ?

    I fail to see a clever way for white to win here
    read my previous post.
  14. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    18 Nov '06 16:20
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    read my previous post.
    yea, I think Rae1 is the way to go, but first snatch that exchange+pawn with Bxf6+...
  15. 20 Nov '06 01:41
    im sorry, but it looks as though white resigned. white has perpetual does he not?