1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Oct '09 20:27
    Originally posted by Tigerhouse
    Just read this article, from the American newspaper the Wall Street Journal, that favors abolishing different titles for women, like the Woman Grandmaster (WGM) title. The argument given is that such titles are inherently sexist, and that women now have greater access to chess and training resources, so the division between men and women players is expect ...[text shortened]... sj.com/article/SB10001424052748703298004574457393421190888.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel
    I've always leaned in the direction of abolishing women titles. I think women are basically just as smart as men, and should compete as such.😏
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 22:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 22:322 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I would object for the same reason that most people would object to a tournament for only white players.

Seriously, who thinks racially segregated tournaments are a good idea? I must disagree with Maurice Ashley and co. on this one.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 23:08
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Drawing parallels between an issue to with race and an issue to do with gender is the flimsy
    logic in this instance.
    Not so. In fact, women's titles are roughly similar to affirmative action as it is designed to work in the US to assist historically and systemically disadvantaged groups--women and racial minorities. Disadvantaged because of laws and social practices that discriminate. Most of the laws are gone; yet, social practices continue to produce discrimination, so affirmative action and women's titles helps surmount the barriers.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 23:20
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Not so. In fact, women's titles are roughly similar to affirmative action as it is designed to work in the US to assist historically and systemically disadvantaged groups--women and racial minorities. Disadvantaged because of laws and social practices that discriminate. Most of the laws are gone; yet, social practices continue to produce discrimination, so affirmative action and women's titles helps surmount the barriers.
    If women's chess titles were like affirmative action, they'd get the full-GM title once they completed the WGM requirements.
  6. Seattle
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 23:25
    I would say they reinforce these barriers.

Think about affirmative action for a second....It actually demeans accomplishments women and minorities achieve: after all, there success could be explained by affirmative action, not by their own abilities or skills.

The reason why people want to get rid of the Women's titles should be BECAUSE they do in fact see them as equals.
  7. e4
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 00:03
    Still not enough women actually taking part in this debate.

I went off to find some.

http://jezebel.com/5381421/chess-players-call-to-drop-womens-titles

Some very interesting comments.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 01:14

9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 01:24
    "That player may not be explicitly excluded, but that player will need
    a skin thick enough to withstand the casual racist remarks and jokes
    that likely have been previously accepted as normal in the club."

The word "likely" is an evil assumption you are making. When we have reached this point in a post, we are probably best served by returning to posts with chess moves in them, and retiring this subject to another forum.

Paul Leggett
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 01:552 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    "That player may not be explicitly excluded, but that player will need
    a skin thick enough to withstand the casual racist remarks and jokes
    that likely have been previously accepted as normal in the club."

The word "likely" is an evil assumption you are making. When we have reached this point in a post, we are probably best served by returning to posts with chess moves in them, and retiring this subject to another forum.

Paul Leggett
    please dont, next to Alexandra Kosteniuk, ....sigh...., shes my favourite Lady! i provide a link to the formers website, in which she publishes an article, in refutation, of the wall street journal.

http://www.chessblog.com/2009/10/abolish-womens-itles-ridiculous.html

isn't she divine?
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 02:10
    Originally posted by c guy1
    I would say they reinforce these barriers.

Think about affirmative action for a second....It actually demeans accomplishments women and minorities achieve: after all, there success could be explained by affirmative action, not by their own abilities or skills.

The reason why people want to get rid of the Women's titles should be BECAUSE they do in fact see them as equals.
    I'm sorry, but FOX is not news, and on this point, as with most, they are wrong.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 02:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    please dont, next to Alexandra Kosteniuk, ....sigh...., shes my favourite Lady! i provide a link to the formers website, in which she publishes an article, in refutation, of the wall street journal.

http://www.chessblog.com/2009/10/abolish-womens-itles-ridiculous.html

isn't she divine?
    So the conservative beauty queen has made a feminist statement. Seems that we ought to take notice regarding how far out there the WSJ is with its recommendation.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 02:301 edit

14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 02:431 edit
    When my ten year old niece told me a racist joke at Easter 2009 I knew that racism is alive and well even among my relatives.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 02:44
    So the conservative beauty queen has made a feminist statement. Seems that we ought to take notice regarding how far out there the WSJ is with its recommendation.
    mmm, i dont know if it can be described as a feminist statement, more of a practical one me thinks, she cites for example the measly money that ladies earn in tournaments, would be all but gone if ladies tournaments were abolished, providing even less incentive for young women to take up the sport. This and the other very valid reasons also, in my amazing opinion, validate her case, but that besides, isn't she adorable?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree