Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    29 Jul '14 13:55 / 1 edit
    I recently finished a game as black where I was up in development, but couldn't quite capitalize that fact. I'm sure I made boatloads of mistakes, but I'd appreciate help with them being pointed out.

    My questions start at move 8, so you can skip to that if you'd like:

  2. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    29 Jul '14 14:12 / 1 edit
    Without analyzing very deeply, I would just comment that it is the quality of the development that is important, not the quantity, especially if you are considering a sacrifice as your notes suggest.

    Black has several pieces developed, but they lack scope.

    Even though white had not moved a piece for over 10 moves, they did have range if not coordination.

    I suspect your overall plan was fine, but that you just missed something in the execution.

    The game did remind me of a really nice game by GM Henrik Danielsen, where he nominally lagged in development but made up for it in initiative!



  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    29 Jul '14 15:10
    Why did black take the pawn on move 20?
  4. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    29 Jul '14 18:23
    I am no expert but (there's always a but!!)I would suggest nh6 is not a great "developing" move"
    Ok it's off it's start square but where's it going?
    The grandmasters who sometimes analyse the competitions on you tube don't like knights on the edge of the board
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    29 Jul '14 18:41
    Originally posted by venda
    I am no expert but (there's always a but!!)I would suggest nh6 is not a great "developing" move"
    Ok it's off it's start square but where's it going?
    The grandmasters who sometimes analyse the competitions on you tube don't like knights on the edge of the board
    The only other options for that knight was f6 or e7. The first choice would have lost the knight, the second would've blocked in my bishop.
  6. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    29 Jul '14 19:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    The only other options for that knight was f6 or e7. The first choice would have lost the knight, the second would've blocked in my bishop.
    Ok. It blocks the bishop TEMPORARILY on e7 but after that it can swing over to the queen side via c8 or even to f6.
    If I had been white in this game I might have been tempted to chop it of doubling your Kingside pawns
  7. 29 Jul '14 19:44
    I think you went wrong on move 14. You had 4 pawns for the piece and you still had better development. White has some serious difficulties getting his pieces into play on his queenside. If the QN goes to d2 it has no squares and the QB is trapped. If the QB goes to d2 the QN has no squares. This is the perfect chance to regroup and get the rest of your pieces into play while white tries to untangle.

    The knight moves you made mostly solved his development problems for him.
  8. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    30 Jul '14 02:48
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I think you went wrong on move 14. You had 4 pawns for the piece and you still had better development. White has some serious difficulties getting his pieces into play on his queenside. If the QN goes to d2 it has no squares and the QB is trapped. If the QB goes to d2 the QN has no squares. This is the perfect chance to regroup and get the rest of yo ...[text shortened]... tries to untangle.

    The knight moves you made mostly solved his development problems for him.
    This is good feedback.