1. gumtree
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 14:39
    Originally posted by luke myster
    What was weyerstrasses rating on chess.com?
    2338. Last game April 29, 2009. Banned October 20, 2010.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 14:47
    hi

ive been a member for many years (returning recently after a break). and i was wondering where have all the top players gone? i always thought weyerstrauss was an cc im and that he was a legit player.

im really curious why he disappeared?!

why would he be banned? i doubt he used engine.

at the same time i know in some website/leagues computer assistance is allowed to some extent. is this the reason?

if someone could fill me in with the info.
  3. gumtree
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 14:51
    Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
    hi

ive been a member for many years (returning recently after a break). and i was wondering where have all the top players gone? i always thought weyerstrauss was an cc im and that he was a legit player.

im really curious why he disappeared?!

why would he be banned? i doubt he used engine.

at the same time i know in some website/league ...[text shortened]... ce is allowed to some extent. is this the reason?

if someone could fill me in with the info.
    Apparently Weyerstrass did use an engine, although possibly not on every move in every game. I doubt he'd be able to hold his own playing ICCF games without an engine nowadays. It is possible he believed the notion that engine use is undetectable and decided to use one here.
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 15:24
    thats unfortunate (dont like cheaters)

i forget if we are allowed to talk about this stuff in depth but i would like to know how they knew he was engine user.

did someone do engine analyze for his games (to compare moves for accuracy)?
    did he admit to engine use?
    etc.
  5. gumtree
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 15:34
    Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
    thats unfortunate (dont like cheaters)

i forget if we are allowed to talk about this stuff in depth but i would like to know how they knew he was engine user.

did someone do engine analyze for his games (to compare moves for accuracy)?
    did he admit to engine use?
    etc.
    As far as I know there are game mods who analyse the games behind the scenes then pass on their conclusions to the site admins who either ban or don't. There is a particular method used by those who wish to catch cheats involving analysis of the games with an engine. If the suspect's stats exceed certain thresholds (I don't know what they are) then the analysis and suspicions are passed on to the game mods via a Fair Play Ticket.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 15:47
    alright thats similar to what i thought. thanks for explanation.
  7. Romania
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 05:121 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    FINALLY he got booted. how many people got forum bans for having the courage to point him out? probably dozens. how many resigned their subscriptions or left the site? probably dozens. how many threads deleted? at the very least dozens. how much damage to rhp's reputation for letting a well known engine user go unpunished for half a decade?!? almost ontinued anti-cheating action to fix the damage. maybe act a little swifter next time, eh?[/b]
    I don't understand what is the purpose of this action. After you let a BLATANT cheater use his engine for more than 5 years, what is the purpose of saying now "you know what? We realized he was indeed a cheater"

And, most importantly: Mr. Weyerstrass can easily cheat again, on another account, if he wants to. Another 5 years until the next ban?
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 07:21
    Originally posted by cotoi
    I don't understand what is the purpose of this action. After you let a BLATANT cheater use his engine for more than 5 years, what is the purpose of saying now "you know what? We realized he was indeed a cheater"

And, most importantly: Mr. Weyerstrass can easily cheat again, on another account, if he wants to. Another 5 years until the next ban?
    I read in your profile that you withhold your subscription until the cheating problem has been seriously tackled. What will you do? Not play chess because your opponent might be a cheater who hasn't been banned yet? Perhaps you should play against a program, they are all rather honest and don't use human aid? Or not play at all, chess can't be fun with all these cheaters around? Come on!
  9. Romania
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 14:42
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    I read in your profile that you withhold your subscription until the cheating problem has been seriously tackled. What will you do? Not play chess because your opponent might be a cheater who hasn't been banned yet? Perhaps you should play against a program, they are all rather honest and don't use human aid? Or not play at all, chess can't be fun with all these cheaters around? Come on!
    There are alternatives, like playing bullet on ICC. Sure, there is a chance of playing against Borg, but I think it's quite slim and I am OK with losing just 2 minutes of my life. I am not OK though with losing several full days playing a CC game against an idiot who uses Rybka.

Yes, there are many other players who stopped playing CC because of the Borgs. Some people played postal chess all their life, yet engines made them stop.
  10. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 14:20
    I think it's just a matter of what is more convenient and enjoyable. Playing OTB chess, I can guarantee that my opponent is not cheating. But on the flip side, I have to juggle other real-world commitments to find the time, arrange travel there and back, and especially after work I'm really not in the mood to play chess.

Here, I can play as often as I want, when I want, and spend as much time as I want on each move. Sure, there is a risk that opponents are cheating, but (a) at the sub 2k level it's really not an issue, and (b) for me, the convenience of playing here more than makes up for it.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 15:22
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    I think it's just a matter of what is more convenient and enjoyable. Playing OTB chess, I can guarantee that my opponent is not cheating. But on the flip side, I have to juggle other real-world commitments to find the time, arrange travel there and back, and especially after work I'm really not in the mood to play chess.

Here, I can play as often as I w ...[text shortened]... ally not an issue, and (b) for me, the convenience of playing here more than makes up for it.
    there are many documented cases of otb cheating. with current everyday technology it's easily doable for anyone with the will to do it.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    there are many documented cases of otb cheating. with current everyday technology it's easily doable for anyone with the will to do it.
    an ear piece with radio transmission, long hair to hide it, a van, a laptop and a copy of rybka and an accomplice, is all a would be cheat would need! As nanotechnology progresses, these things are going to be even harder to detect, soon they shall be playing chess in lead lined rooms!
  13. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 19:04
    In theory, and possibly in games where winning makes any real difference, that's true. In practice, at the level I play at (the lower rungs of the Essex league), anyone who is cheating OTB is doing so very badly 🙂
  14. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 20:09
    May I add that 'cheating' is nothing new, long before engines reared their 'might'...go back to the Soviets when Victor Korchnoi was playing Russian Anatoli Karpov for the '78 WCC, the defector Korchnoi complains to this day that he had his thoughts constantly interrupted by two Russian psychics in the audience. I'm no 'internet researcher' but I have this from an email a couple of years ago, gives a hint 🙂
    YouTube
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 03:34
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    May I add that 'cheating' is nothing new, long before engines reared their 'might'...go back to the Soviets when Victor Korchnoi was playing Russian Anatoli Karpov for the '78 WCC, the defector Korchnoi complains to this day that he had his thoughts constantly interrupted by two Russian psychics in the audience. I'm no 'internet researcher' but I have t ...[text shortened]... email a couple of years ago, gives a hint 🙂
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNy-43naOM
    Korchi was just being paranoid. More like witch doctors convincing people they have a hex on them because the recipient believes it, self fulfilling prophesy.

A bit dif from engine users.

One question about Weyer:

How many of his games were included in the analysis? Could the analysis show games that were totally human, like was there a pattern, say 10% computer match for a couple of games, then 80% for one game then back to 20 for a game, etc.?

Can they get that kind of detail?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree