1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 01:50
    Weyerstrass has been banned.

I presented evidence and analysis fingering him as a cheater in August 2005 and I know some of the Game Mods have believed he was an engine user for a long time. I wonder why now this action was FINALLY taken.
  2. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 02:41
    After he left the site, too. This does not seem to have been very well planned-out by whoever banned him.
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 03:06
    Well done, better late then never. I don't think we should complain, justice was served. Also, I think they only ban people if you send a fair play ticket, if no one ever sent one that explains why he never got banned. I think banning popular players like him is a great way for the site to gain credibility. Again, well done no1marauder and RHP.
  4. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 03:40
    maybe they have a script which detects play similiar to popular engines...
  5. Farnborough
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 08:56
    Good to see, better late then never. Now how about some cheating clan leaders? No, that will never happen, sadly. I bet I get banned before that, for being such a pain in the butt about the issue of cheating clans. 🙂
  6. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 10:211 edit
    I don't understand, Ronald Weyerstrass is a dutch IM of correspondence chess, so someone must have been abusing his name if the Weyerstrass on here actually was cheating!

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=78126

He was a dutch champion of correspondence chess.
  7. e4
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:05
    They certainly took their time. I thought he was away in Jan 2009
    when I know a whole bunch of FTP's were raised against him.
  8. e4
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:131 edit
    Originally posted by Gatusso
    I don't understand, Ronald Weyerstrass is a dutch IM of correspondence chess, so someone must have been abusing his name if the Weyerstrass on here actually was cheating!

I think you will find he is one and the same person.
    That is the reason why it took so long.
    In these cases you have to be 100% sure.

But having said that. Perhaps he got banned for another reason.
  9. gumtree
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:49
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I think you will find he is one and the same person.
    That is the reason why it took so long.
    In these cases you have to be 100% sure.

But having said that. Perhaps he got banned for another reason.
    It may be that RHP is less willing to ban a known titled player than other sites. Weyerstrass may only have been banned now because he doesn't intend to return, thus avoiding any of the rumpus that followed chess.com's banning of Natalia Pogostick.
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Weyerstrass has been banned.

I presented evidence and analysis fingering him as a cheater in August 2005 and I know some of the Game Mods have believed he was an engine user for a long time. I wonder why now this action was FINALLY taken.
    Probably because he has left the site, no longer appears in the listing of top players due to his inactivity and it was felt his banning may not have been noticed.
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:13
    Which all the begs the question, why bother? Same story with sealion. Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted? What is the point in permitting all the damage to take place, and then only taking action once the dust has settled?

The optimist in me would like to believe this is a renewed commitment on behalf of the Admins to apply zero tolerance. The pessimist in me has tape over his mouth.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 20:27
    Originally posted by Gatusso

I think the IM title concern begs the question, from a logical perspective-- the IM title would only be a mitigating consideration if the governing body that issues the title also has anti-cheating/anti-engine processes in place.

In other words, if someone is going to cheat, it is probable that they will cheat anywhere they think they won't get caught.

I think this kind of issue may well kill top-level correspondence chess, except among friends. It is too easy to cheat, apparently, if getting caught is not enough to dissuade you.

And if a person is accused because their moves match engine moves, and the proliferation of strong chess engines continues at its current pace, pretty soon it will be hard to play a good move that doesn't match some computer somewhere.
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 20:36
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    It may be that RHP is less willing to ban a known titled player than other sites. Weyerstrass may only have been banned now because he doesn't intend to return, thus avoiding any of the rumpus that followed chess.com's banning of Natalia Pogostick.
    It was Yelena Dembo not Pogonina.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 20:49
    What I can't figure out is why an IM would use an engine?
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 20:56
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    What I can't figure out is why an IM would use an engine?
    My point was that, for all we know, it was the engine that was the IM, not the player. Titles are only worth as much as the governing body is willing to invest in the integrity of them.

I'm not passing judgment, as I do not know enough to do so, so all I am saying is that a title is not an automatic free pass in a situation like this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree