1. Standard memberVovochka
    Caro-Kann Lover
    Rishon-le-Zion
    Moves
    06 Dec '05 22:59
    I made a discovery.
    After a bottle of beer I blunder, like a newborn.
    But after 100 grams of vodka (what is equivalent or even stronger) I play without any impairment.
    Does anyone have similar experience?
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Dec '05 23:04
    How is your play when you are sober?

Going from strong to weak play is it:

sober,vodka,beer?
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 15:41
    Alcohol depresses the central nervous system, impairing chess performance.

Nevertheless, I've been able to reverse a losing streak at blitz by drinking a glass of bourbon, or a couple of pints of Guinness. My thoughts are not more clear, but my inhibitions are reduced, and sometimes that lets me play fast and loose. Also, when buzzed, I don't care so much, and that can help in blitz because I'm playing to enjoy.

When I make moves at RHP on such evenings, they are bad moves more often than not.

Wulebgr
    Clan Leader
    The Bourbon Society
  4. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 16:49
    there is a point at which the benefits of the an inhabition dis-inhibitor become reversed and everything falls apart. I've learned over and over, a few beers is okay, feels good and i move more on intuition than analyzation, but somewhere around beer 5, i start making crazy sacrifices or bad trades or gifting peices, here's a rook for ya, and a queen, and some pawns...
  5. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 17:37
    ...or you just contemplating why he other queen is so intent on mating your king.

Note to self: Stop talking to the pieces on the board. 🙄
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 18:03
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    Note to self: Stop talking to the pieces on the board. 🙄
    It is important to listen to your pieces, but hold off on the pep talks.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:03
    I only play yahoo chess when drunk, and only bullet chess (3 min , no delay). I find I do better right after I start drinking, but it goes downhill quickly. Against someone who defends decently, I inevitably lose.
  8. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 03:57
    Alcoholic Chess:

King - Champagne
    Queen - Claret/Cognac
    Bishops - Burgundy
    Rooks - Port
    Knights - Madeira
    Pawns - Wine

The players have to take a sip from the "piece" that they move. The game ends in a draw by "mutual confusion". Rules are that a player must promptly drink the contents of any man he captures. Emanuel Lasker is said to have won a game by deliberately sacrificing his queen (quarter-litre of cognac) in the early stages.
  9. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 04:47
    Problem is that when you get too drunk, you start moving your icons around on your desktop yelling CHECKMATE YOU BASTARD at the top of your lungs.. the kids start looking at you wierd.. or wierder for some.
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 07:011 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    [b]Alcoholic Chess:

King - Champagne
    Queen - Claret/Cognac
    Bishops - Burgundy
    Rooks - Port
    Knights - Madeira
    Pawns - Wine

The players have to take a sip from the "piece" that they move. The game ends in a draw by "mutual confusion". Rules are that a player must promptly drink the contents of any man he captures. Emanuel Lasker is said to h ...[text shortened]... won a game by deliberately sacrificing his queen (quarter-litre of cognac) in the early stages.[/b]
    Complete admiration Bowmann,

This may be your most instructive post to date. If I were still a subscriber, I would rec you for this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree