1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:49
    Originally posted by Automaton
    Just tactics isn't going to teach me opening traps or endgame technique or strategy. etc etc
    Most games at our level don't make it to the end game. Once you get hit with an opeing trap, you'll avoid it next time.

Learning tactics and seeing what makes a good move helps more than anything. To get better at chess, you've got to change your thinking. When you see why you were wrong when you do a puzzle and how to properly take advantage of certain situations, you will get stronger.

When you learn to set up those situations, you'll get even stronger. I'm still trying to figure out how to set them up. I still stumble into things.

But hey, if you'd rather spend money on a book, rather than get free training, that's up to you.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:51
    Originally posted by wormwood
    there is none. the opening alone would take several volumes, and you'd still be just scratching the surface.
    I have been humbled. 😞

I'll just play like usual.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:553 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Most games at our level don't make it to the end game. Once you get hit with an opeing trap, you'll avoid it next time.

Learning tactics and seeing what makes a good move helps more than anything. To get better at chess, you've got to change your thinking. When you see why you were wrong when you do a puzzle and how to properly take advantage of certa , if you'd rather spend money on a book, rather than get free training, that's up to you.
    I study tactics.

Studying tactics won't teach me to put rooks behind passed pawns or to put rooks on the 7th rank or how to develop properly against the sicilian.

Hell I didn't even know what "opposition" was until last week! (been playing for years)

By your logic if I just study tactics I can play my h pawn all the way up the board in the first 3 moves and keep my knights at the edge of the board...maybe a3 and h3?... and still win as long as I am tactically strong?

Some strategy must be learnt.

That whole "tactics tactics tactics" thing is a bit over-rated.

Tactics is only ONE part of chess.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:58
    Sorry I asked for a "all in one" book recommendation...geez 😳
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:021 edit
    Sorry I asked for a "all in one" book recommendation...geez 😳
    Chess for dummies
    My first Chess Book
    The Mammoth book of chess
    http://www.stappenmethode.nl/stepsmethod/index.html
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:02
    There's no need to respond to what I'm saying. The advice is free. Let me know when you run into a book that dramatically increases your understanding of chess and makes you a much better chess player.

I don't think there is such a book. Playing chess against good players just isn't that easy.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:09
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Chess for dummies
    My first Chess Book
    The Mammoth book of chess
    http://www.stappenmethode.nl/stepsmethod/index.html
    I'm 1400 uscf, geez man give me some credit.(chess for dummies?)

At the book store the books are either way too easy or way too hard.

There isn't anything suited for the 1400-1700.

(And you can't just say tactics tactics tactics!! god...)

Why are private lessons 50 bucks an hour?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:131 edit
    I'm going with Lasker's manual to learn some STRATEGY...thanks for the help guys.

(I do tactics too eladar, so sshhh.)
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:13
    There's no need to respond to what I'm saying. The advice is free. Let me know when you run into a book that dramatically increases your understanding of chess and makes you a much better chess player.

I don't think there is such a book. Playing chess against good players just isn't that easy.
    John Nunn's original "Secrets of Grandmaster Play", cowritten with Peter Griffiths, did dramatically increase my understanding ( I think it added 300 points to my rating), but I recommended it to a friend, and it didn't work for him.

Bent Larsen said his chess career to a dramatic leap forward when he read Nimzowitsch's "My System", stating that it was like reading "magic".

I think it depends on the book and the player- a book can be a huge factor, but it varies from player to player, depending on what the book offers compared to what the player needs.

Paul
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:15
    I'm going with Lasker's manual to learn some STRATEGY...thanks for the help guys.

(I do tactics too eladar, so sshhh.)
    From what I have seen of it, Lasker's manual explains the rules of the game 😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:161 edit
    That's just the first chapter...I read the openings were dated but the rest is good.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:16
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    John Nunn's original "Secrets of Grandmaster Play", cowritten with Peter Griffiths, did dramatically increase my understanding ( I think it added 300 points to my rating), but I recommended it to a friend, and it didn't work for him.

Bent Larsen said his chess career to a dramatic leap forward when he read Nimzowitsch's "My System", stating that it w ...[text shortened]... to player, depending on what the book offers compared to what the player needs.

Paul
    I'll go back and get John Nunn's "Chess move by move" and if you are still around in a few months I'll let you know how it affected my chess.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:331 edit

maybe you should start reading... the 'tactics, tactics, tactics' thing obviously isn't working out to well for you. no offense but when taking studying advice you're more likely to listen to someone who has a higher rating than you not a lower one.

btw my advice would be to forget the books, forget the tactics and just play, learn from what other people do and by your own mistakes.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:39
    I got to 1400 by just playing so you may be right.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:44
    Trev,

If you want to compare ratings, then as wormwood what one should do, study books or tactics. There's always a bigger fish in the pond, trying to validate opion through ratings is a joke.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree