1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 05:55
    I've always wanted to get my hands on Bilguer's Handbuch.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 05:56
    Originally posted by trev33
    Game 5829711

😳
    My god man...😞
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 05:56
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I've always wanted to get my hands on Bilguer's Handbuch.
    What's the title?
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 06:05
    Originally posted by Automaton
    My god man...😞
    i know... this made me feel better though (same tournament)

Game 5829645

😀
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 06:10
    Much better. 😀
  6. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 09:20
    Chess fundamentals by Capablanca is an all in one type of thing. Also his 'Last Lectures' and Lasker's 'Common sense in chess.'

I heard that 'Masters of the chess board' by Reti has alot of good advice in.

I've just started reading Chess master vs Chess amateur by Euwe and I'm really enjoying it.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 10:26
    I study tactics.
    I just want a good manual to explain the "why?" of the moves.

Or the "why?" of the openings. Or what do I do now? etc.

I found "My System" by Nimzowitch and the reviews say It will be too advanced for me.

With Lasker's manual It may be out-dated, it was written almost 100 years ago!
    "My System" does a lot of what you're asking. It's not too advanced for anyone I don't think.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 11:25
    An "all in one" chess manual?

I was at the bookstore and there were about 100 chess books to choose from.
    Most were openings or opening variations. A few endgame books and some tactics books.
    None had the "all in one" approach except for some basic ones that are too easy for me.
    My 1600 rating here is only because I am beating up on lower rated playe ...[text shortened]... best player, just a little better.
    Anyone studied that book? Or should I keep looking?
    Why not read the various kind of chess magazines? They have a flora of openings, tactics, strategies, analyses, problems, biographies, and virtually everything you want to in a healthy mix!
  9. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 12:03
    Recommending a chessbook is very difficult because what works for one player does absolutely nothing for another.

The 2 books I got the most out of are the lesser known work "Mastering Chess,a course in 21 lessons".
    Chapter topics are
    -tactics & combinations
    -analysing a position
    -formulating a plan
    -opening principles and ideas
    -endings
    -practical tournament tips (haven't read this chapter)

And "Best lessons of a chesscoach",which also seems lesser known.
    Topics are too much to mention.I'll just say it taught me a thing or two about color complexes,the initiative,outposts,piece coordination,isolated pawns,space advantage etc..
    The author selected 10 games to explain these,and more,things.

Both are a light read,compared to some other chessbooks anyway,with plenty diagrams.The way a chessbook ought to be,imo.

For me they were a perfect fit 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 12:12
    Originally posted by jonrothwell
    Chess fundamentals by Capablanca is an all in one type of thing. Also his 'Last Lectures' and Lasker's 'Common sense in chess.'

I heard that 'Masters of the chess board' by Reti has alot of good advice in.

I've just started reading Chess master vs Chess amateur by Euwe and I'm really enjoying it.
    yup, i love Retis books, they are easy to read and full of insight and most of all interesting! this last point cannot be overlooked, for it is the basic failure of education, to teach persons about things in which they have no interest. Get a book that is interesting and it is half the battle, you shall be enthralled and want to learn. why is Reti so interesting? firstly he deals with the historical development, from the combinational sacrifices of Andersson, through the introduction of strategic and positional concepts from Morphy through to Capa and Lasker, Tarrasch etc and the thougt processes which led the masters to make their chioces. Each and every principle is discussed and illustrated with games. It is simply a joy to read. i also have the capa book but was put off by it after hearing that he was less than gentlemanly. i have never read 'my system', although i believe it is similar to Bangievs, square strategy theory, which i have. If it is positional concepts that you are interested in , Try Micheal Steins simple chess, its an awesome book, very, very clear, much better than Silman who can explain simple things in great detail, but fails to explain complex things simply! I think its a bit like searching for the Holy Grail, an all in one manual.
  11. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 12:23
    sounds to me like you need to read some of the winning chess series by Seirawan
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 12:392 edits
    I was at the bookstore and there were about 100 chess books to choose from.
    Most were openings or opening variations. A few endgame books and some tactics books.
    None had the "all in one" approach except for some basic ones that are too easy for me.
    My 1600 rating here is only because I am beating up on lower rated players. I am about 1400 on other webs xt best player, just a little better.
    Anyone studied that book? Or should I keep looking?
    chessmaster GM edition + some good game collection book of a player you like + rybka for post-mortem analysis + consistent chesstempo training would be enough take you to 1800.

that is of course in case you take each of them (mostly chesstempo) seriously and not skip a day.

and in whatever you do, reading books, watching videos etc, the most important thing is to use your brain. Watching/reading just gets you familiar. Calculating gets you better.
  13. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 15:50
    What's the title?
    Handbuch
  14. e4
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 15:55
    Hi Automaton.

The Mammoth Book of Chess
    It covers everything and I mean everything.
    It's section on tactics with the puzzles is very good.
    All the standard endings you need to know.
    The ideas plus two complete examples (tactical and strategical) in all the major
    and not so common openings.

All this and a lot more. (a lot lot more).

It's cheap (under £10.00) 530 pages crammed with good advice, great games
    and well chosen examples.

It was voted book of the year and one I fully recommend it to anyone
    wishing to improve.

A punters reveiw here:

http://www.chessworld.net/chessclubs/forums_thread_show_one_posteronleftstyle.asp?forumid=6015&ThreadID=3386955
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 18:25
    I wrote down some of the names you guys suggested and I am going out to see if I can find one...or two to study.

Thanks 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree