24 Nov '09 02:19
    Buy me a membership and you are forgiven 😉
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 02:49
    Originally posted by wormwood

what someone said about lasker's opening theory being dated, is not much of an issue (except maybe in CC). if I understood a tenth of what lasker did on any opening, I'd be leagues better set than I'm now.[/b]
    I have a personal affirmation of this claim.

I have played the King's Indian Attack for about 20 years in OTB, but I transpose to other openings- in particular, if black plays ...d5, ...Bf5, ...e6, and the knights on f6 and d7 (known as the New York System, but most think of it as a reversed London System), I transpose to the Reti.

Here's the point: the particular line I play was refuted by Yates in a game against Reti in the 1920's, and covered by GM Keene is his excellent "Flank Openings" book.

Fortunately for me, no one bothers to look at games from the 1920's (except me and my few historical chess friends around the globe), so I have scored spectacularly with the line, each time thinking that this time will be the time somebody catches up with me, but it hasn't happened yet.

Larsen has done this throughout his career, and the point is that at our level, we have ALL SORTS of reasonable and playable options. Reading and studying older games can be a gold mine of good ideas, and if you see something that appeals to you, go for it. Age means nothing, and chess ideas are like wine- some of them get better with age.

Paul
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 03:18
    Originally posted by Automaton
    Buy me a membership and you are forgiven 😉
    E-begg@r
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 03:19
    ssshh! It might work.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 14:47
    I was at the bookstore and there were about 100 chess books to choose from.
    Most were openings or opening variations. A few endgame books and some tactics books.
    None had the "all in one" approach except for some basic ones that are too easy for me.
    My 1600 rating here is only because I am beating up on lower rated players. I am about 1400 on other webs ...[text shortened]... xt best player, just a little better.
    Anyone studied that book? Or should I keep looking?
    Lasker's Manual of Chess is a terrific all in one
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 00:03
    I was at the bookstore and there were about 100 chess books to choose from.
    Most were openings or opening variations. A few endgame books and some tactics books.
    None had the "all in one" approach except for some basic ones that are too easy for me.
    My 1600 rating here is only because I am beating up on lower rated players. I am about 1400 on other webs ...[text shortened]... xt best player, just a little better.
    Anyone studied that book? Or should I keep looking?
    I'd say tactics books are the best value for your money. You could also try "My System" by Nimzovich.😏
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 03:03
    I do tactics, but I feel Nimzowitsch is too advanced for me right now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree