Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 13 Dec '06 20:02 / 1 edit
    In Game 2677360, I had just made my move and concluded that I had lost. My opponent then asked me why I resigned.

    I replied saying that all he had to play is Rd2 and I wouldn't have been able to stop mate on the next move (Rc1#). If I played Rf8 he would have exchanged rooks and he would be a rook ahead. Is my analysis correct in that I have lost?

    Maybe I should have played on considering my opponent probably didn't see the win.
  2. 13 Dec '06 20:17
    Originally posted by lausey
    In Game 2677360, I had just made my move and concluded that I had lost. My opponent then asked me why I resigned.

    I replied saying that all he had to play is Rd2 and I wouldn't have been able to stop mate on the next move (Rc1#). If I played Rf8 he would have exchanged rooks and he would be a rook ahead. Is my analysis correct in that I have l ...[text shortened]... st?

    Maybe I should have played on considering my opponent probably didn't see the win.
    I didn't put it in an engine, but it sure appears lost to me. Resignation there probably wasn't the best idea though, make him prove he knows how to win - you don't owe him anything.
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    13 Dec '06 20:23
    Originally posted by lausey
    In Game 2677360, I had just made my move and concluded that I had lost. My opponent then asked me why I resigned.

    I replied saying that all he had to play is Rd2 and I wouldn't have been able to stop mate on the next move (Rc1#). If I played Rf8 he would have exchanged rooks and he would be a rook ahead. Is my analysis correct in that I have l ...[text shortened]... st?

    Maybe I should have played on considering my opponent probably didn't see the win.
    I think so. The problem is that while they might be initially mystified, they'll cotton on to what they had to do pretty quickly when faced with the actual problem.
  4. 14 Dec '06 02:22
    The Final king move is losing -- instead Re7...i think.
  5. Donation briancron
    nunquam perdo
    14 Dec '06 02:37 / 2 edits
    I put it in Fritz as a shootout and this is what happened

    [Event "Shootout (Fritz1, Blitz:5' "]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "New game"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "2r3k1/5R2/8/8/5R2/5P2/7r/6K1 b - - 0 1"]
    [PlyCount "29"]

    1... Rd2 {-4.04/14 3} 2. Rf8+ {-4.62/15 6} Rxf8 {-5.20/15 6} 3. Rg4+ {
    -6.37/16 14} Kh7 {-6.38/17 11} 4. Rg2 {-6.69/17 9} Rxg2+ {(Rg8) -6.94/17 3} 5.
    Kxg2 {-#18/18 11} Kg6 {-#14/10 1} 6. Kf1 {(Kf2) -#13/9 0} Re8 {-#11/8 0} 7. Kf2
    {(Kg2) -#9/9 0} Kg5 {-#9/7 0} 8. Kg3 {-#8/7 0} Re3 {-#8/6 0} 9. Kg2 {
    (Kh2) -#7/5 0} Kf4 {-#7/6 0} 10. Kf2 {-#6/6 0} Re5 {(Re6) -#6/5 0} 11. Kg2 {
    -#5/5 0} Re2+ {-#5/5 0} 12. Kg1 {-#4/5 0} Kxf3 {-#4/5 0} 13. Kf1 {-#3/5 0} Re4
    {(Re5) -#3/5 0} 14. Kg1 {-#2/5 0} Rh4 {-#2/5 0} 15. Kf1 {-#1/5 0} Rh1# {-#1/5 0
    } 0-1

    So it was a technical loss but it never hurts to make sure they know it first. However it should be conforting that you didn't have a forced win.
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    14 Dec '06 03:22
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    The Final king move is losing -- instead Re7...i think.
    43.Re7 Rd1+ 44.Re1 Rh1+ wins.
  7. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    14 Dec '06 03:31
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    The Final king move is losing -- instead Re7...i think.
    The problem with 43. Re7 is that black has 43. ... Rc1+ 44. Re1 Rh1+

    It's a strange position, the pawn prevents the rooks from defending the king, I think 41. Rgf4 is the wrong thing to do, white should be trying to promote the pawn and this just immobilizes the rooks infront of it. 42. f3 loses because of the game continuation, 42. Kg2 looks drawn.
  8. 14 Dec '06 04:22 / 2 edits
    Here's a blitz game against an 1800 player who was "lost" at least 5 times and yet secured a draw (repetition due to time trouble). It's really an amazing display of incompetency. In my defense, I had no sleep the night before and I was very low on time. Although, even with that it's really embarrassing.

    1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 Bb4+ 4.c3 Ba5 5.b4 Bb6 6.c4 a6 7.Nc3 O-O 8.Bg2 h6 9.O-O d5 10.c5 Ba7 11.Qc2 b6 12.e4 dxe4 13.Nxe4 c6 14.Nd6 Nbd7 15.Ne5 Nxe5 16.dxe5 Nd5 17.a3 bxc5 18.bxc5 Qa5 19.Bxd5 exd5 20.Be3 Bb8 21.f4 Bxd6 22.cxd6 Bd7 23.f5 Rfe8 24.Bd4 Rac8 25.Rae1 c5 26.e6 fxe6 27.fxe6 cxd4 28.Qg6 Bxe6 29.Rxe6 Rxe6 30.Qxe6+ Kh7 31.d7 Rd8 32.Qf5+ Kg8 33.Qf7+ Kh7 34.Qf5+ Kg8 35.Qe6+ Kh7 36.Qf5+ 1/2-1/2

    I don't think anyone can beat this one. ;p Moral: Don't resign until it's mate in 1.
  9. 14 Dec '06 08:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The problem with 43. Re7 is that black has 43. ... Rc1+ 44. Re1 Rh1+

    It's a strange position, the pawn prevents the rooks from defending the king, I think 41. Rgf4 is the wrong thing to do, white should be trying to promote the pawn and this just immobilizes the rooks infront of it. 42. f3 loses because of the game continuation, 42. Kg2 looks drawn.
    I fail to see how this continuation is winning for black, white is up a pawn, though with accurate play the game is drawn.

    As for the actual game, Rd2 would have ensured a victory for black, but only after 14 moves with accurate play.
  10. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    14 Dec '06 11:14 / 2 edits
    Its an easy win for black and you were perhaps right to resign against a player graded 1800+ but not here.

    Make her prove she knows how to win as there are still chances of a cheapo in K&R vs K&P if you have to exchange down to that. As white I would have sacrificed one of my Rooks and played on for a while in this game. Perhaps (if she plays Rd2) Rf8+ .. RXR; Rg4+ .. Kf7; Rf4+ .. Ke7; Re4+ .. Kd6; f4 etc. It still loses but she needs to show she can win it and 1 careless move changes everything.
  11. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    14 Dec '06 12:50
    Originally posted by sivart84
    I fail to see how this continuation is winning for black, white is up a pawn, though with accurate play the game is drawn.

    As for the actual game, Rd2 would have ensured a victory for black, but only after 14 moves with accurate play.
    How is white going to get out of check and avoid the loss of the rook on e1?
  12. 16 Dec '06 02:16
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    How is white going to get out of check and avoid the loss of the rook on e1?
    My mistake, I was looking at the position with the king still on g1 as played in the game. In which case the king would simply capture the checking rook on h1 and trade of his rook at e1.